Iddle chatter question

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Post Reply
User avatar
mario92
Posts: 997
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:37 am

Iddle chatter question

Post by mario92 »

Hello everyone i want to ask a question is iddle chatter, chit chat, breaking 4th precept? Like For example family member calls me and she ask about what i ate? What i am gonna do today, what i did today, this happened, etc.


2-. Also is singing breaking the 4th precept?


Thank You :namaste:
SarathW
Posts: 21297
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Iddle chatter question

Post by SarathW »

Yes it is idle chatter but it is not breaking the precepts unless you are an eight preceptor.
However even for a five preceptor too much idle chatter to be avoided.
In a conventional reality we have to follow the good social norms like asking how you are etc.
Even Buddha used have this sort of friendly talks.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
User avatar
pops
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:26 pm

Re: Iddle chatter question

Post by pops »

mario92 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:09 pm Hello everyone i want to ask a question is iddle chatter, chit chat, breaking 4th precept? Like For example family member calls me and she ask about what i ate? What i am gonna do today, what i did today, this happened, etc.


2-. Also is singing breaking the 4th precept?


Thank You :namaste:

Friendly and mindful answers are what the world needs. I like to think that way also about people singing …
User avatar
mario92
Posts: 997
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:37 am

Re: Iddle chatter question

Post by mario92 »

Thank you Sarath and pops :anjali:
User avatar
Rambutan
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:35 pm

Re: Iddle chatter question

Post by Rambutan »

mario92 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:09 pm Hello everyone i want to ask a question is iddle chatter, chit chat, breaking 4th precept? Like For example family member calls me and she ask about what i ate? What i am gonna do today, what i did today, this happened, etc.


2-. Also is singing breaking the 4th precept?

Thank You :namaste:
A lot of people think about precepts and rules in this very pass/fail way, without considering the function of the rules. The point of dhamma isn’t to get everything perfect. It’s to discipline the mind and develop wisdom and the various qualities (Jhanas) that lead to awakening.

What does idle chatter do? Can it beneficial sometimes? Can a person spend too much time talking about things that don’t even concern them? Is it a good way to get to know someone? Is saying hello and making friendly conversation with a lonely elder person different from spreading gossip? Does it distract you from meditation? If you don’t speak unnecessarily for 48 hours, do you notice the mind becoming quieter? Can a little bit of pointless chatter, (like talking about how blue the sky is on a sunny day) be beneficial to yourself or to others?

If you want to develop your mind, you have to use your mind. It seems that many people have an attitude of “Buddha says do this - Buddha says don’t do this” and it’s like playing thd game ‘Simon-Says’, where if you mess up, you’re out.

Do you think telling a family member what you ate
breaks the fourth precept?

🤦🏽
Suddh
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:57 am

Re: Iddle chatter question

Post by Suddh »

SarathW wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:38 pm Yes it is idle chatter but it is not breaking the precepts unless you are an eight preceptor.
However even for a five preceptor too much idle chatter to be avoided.
In a conventional reality we have to follow the good social norms like asking how you are etc.
Even Buddha used have this sort of friendly talks.
Perhaps you mean a ten preceptor? I.e. one who determines on avoiding the ten akusala kamma? Idle chatter isn't included in the eight precepts.

Edit: you were referring to singing, I think. He asked if idle chatter breaks the fourth precept, to which the answer is no. He separately asked if singing breaks it, to which the answer is also no.
SarathW
Posts: 21297
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Iddle chatter question

Post by SarathW »

Suddh wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:16 am
SarathW wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:38 pm Yes it is idle chatter but it is not breaking the precepts unless you are an eight preceptor.
However even for a five preceptor too much idle chatter to be avoided.
In a conventional reality we have to follow the good social norms like asking how you are etc.
Even Buddha used have this sort of friendly talks.
Perhaps you mean a ten preceptor? I.e. one who determines on avoiding the ten akusala kamma? Idle chatter isn't included in the eight precepts.

Edit: you were referring to singing, I think. He asked if idle chatter breaks the fourth precept, to which the answer is no. He separately asked if singing breaks it, to which the answer is also no.
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dha ... index.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Suddh
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:57 am

Re: Iddle chatter question

Post by Suddh »

SarathW wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:29 am
Suddh wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:16 am
SarathW wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:38 pm Yes it is idle chatter but it is not breaking the precepts unless you are an eight preceptor.
However even for a five preceptor too much idle chatter to be avoided.
In a conventional reality we have to follow the good social norms like asking how you are etc.
Even Buddha used have this sort of friendly talks.
Perhaps you mean a ten preceptor? I.e. one who determines on avoiding the ten akusala kamma? Idle chatter isn't included in the eight precepts.

Edit: you were referring to singing, I think. He asked if idle chatter breaks the fourth precept, to which the answer is no. He separately asked if singing breaks it, to which the answer is also no.
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dha ... index.html


Yes it is right speech. It's not in the eight uposatha precepts though, thus the answer to his question is no. The fourth precept concerns lying, deliberately misrepresenting the truth.
Post Reply