Hi, I’m primarily interested in meditation in

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Ervin

Hi, I’m primarily interested in meditation in

Post by Ervin »

Simply said, im still trying to quit smoking, im at a rehab centre for mentally ill, Theravada is definitely my favourite way, I have five screws in my right ancle, and I just need som encouragement in how to keep pushing and meditating.

Thank you kindly

Ervin
SarathW

Re: Hi, I’m primarily interested in meditation in

Post by SarathW »

You can meditate while sitting in a chair.
To stop smoking go cold turkey.
That is how I did it.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Slightly Reserved

Post by Slightly Reserved »

Hi Ervin,

To quit smoking - the only way is going cold turkey, rest is self lying and illusion. I have smoked for 15 years and had a long way until only this way worked :)

To encourage you to practice meditation - I think once you have this intention, you need only to do it. What I truly encourage is practicing everyday, and make it a time same as you dedicate to eat food, brush teeth, sleep etc. I've been on for 5 years, with daily practices and regular retreats and as yourself I have been in a mental hospital long ago, but trying to get better from the baggage that bipolar and borderline personality disorders gifted me. Meditation really changed my brain in a wonderful way and am living a stable life. The teachings brought the light I was looking for so many years of my life in the dark.

Make time for your intentions, make time for your practices.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Ervin wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:38 am how to keep pushing and meditating.
The secret is to stop pushing. I know it sounds silly, but it's really true.
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

Thank you both for your advice, I appreciate it a lot and hopefully i manage to make it back into my Theravada style meditation.
Ruaten

Post by Ruaten »

I believe all you have to do is act on your intention. I spent a great deal of my life in the dark, and the lessons provided the light I was seeking.
speedrunsotapannabro

Post by speedrunsotapannabro »

Just to be clear - you do hold 8 precepts? If you don't, I would try to incorporate this first with the general sense restraint, like try to broaden the clean attention, not acting out sensual desire and sensual thoughts throughout the day.

Having that sorted, you can generally peacefully dwell in whatever position is comfortable to you, just try to be aware and mindful as much as you can.