Modified post pop-up

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Neo

Modified post pop-up

Post by Neo »

When a post or question is edited or modified, board doesn't show the recent edit. It only shows recent reply.

The timing on a post also show only reply time and not the modified time.
IMG_20240529_132636.jpg
Rambutan

Re: Modified post pop-up

Post by Rambutan »

Neo wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:53 am When a post or question is edited or modified, board doesn't show the recent edit. It only shows recent reply.

I would demand getting my money back.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

The window for editing posts is set, it seems, at 12 hours. (Mods have indefinite rights to this, as they have to be able to modify all posts.) We used to have a poster who would go back and edit their earlier posts, so they could claim that others had not understood or correctly answered their post. So the editing limit was reduced, and then relaxed again. Is there a particular problem with the time and date of the modification not showing? We've not been asked about this before, so I assume it's not particularly important for people.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Neo wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:53 am When a post or question is edited or modified, board doesn't show the recent edit. It only shows recent reply.

IMG_20240529_132636.jpg
If you edit your post after someone's already posted their reply, you should see a line with smaller font at the bottom of your post that shows a last-edited time and the number of edits you've made. Ex: viewtopic.php?p=764381#p764381 says:
"Last edited by Neo on Tue May 28, 2024 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
santa100 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:48 pm

IMG_20240529_132636.jpg
If you edit your post after someone's already posted their reply, you should see a line with smaller font at the bottom of your post that shows a last-edited time and the number of edits you've made. Ex: viewtopic.php?p=764381#p764381 says:
"Last edited by Neo on Tue May 28, 2024 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total."
That seems more than adequate to me. It's also worth mentioning that this site uses phpBB3 software, so will inherit the functionality that comes with that software - it's not proprietary built by Dhamma Wheel. You can get add-on "mods" to customise the software, but they're often more trouble than they're worth, particularly given there's no guarantee of compatibility with the current version, let alone with future versions of the software.

:ugeek:

Metta,
Paul :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Neo

Post by Neo »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:16 pm The window for editing posts is set, it seems, at 12 hours. (Mods have indefinite rights to this, as they have to be able to modify all posts.) We used to have a poster who would go back and edit their earlier posts, so they could claim that others had not understood or correctly answered their post. So the editing limit was reduced, and then relaxed again. Is there a particular problem with the time and date of the modification not showing? We've not been asked about this before, so I assume it's not particularly important for people.
If someone is editing or modifying even after 1 minute, it makes sense to know what the person wanna say now.

If multiple people are editing then a side-popup can be shown to show all "latest" activities of edit&modify in all posts within that thread

But it's ok, as this website is free and is not having much funding.

But it's better to reduce time to 1 minute only because there is a draft-post facility available so not required to wait for so long. Compose it once and when ready, post it.

We are having conversations so must be able to see the change in replies.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Neo wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:24 am But it's better to reduce time to 1 minute only because there is a draft-post facility available so not required to wait for so long. Compose it once and when ready, post it.
Would rather not waste my time doing that to be honest. I'm not sure what benefit forensic analysis of metadata would really add to the conversation.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Neo wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:24 am If multiple people are editing then a side-popup can be shown to show all "latest" activities of edit&modify in all posts within that thread

But it's ok, as this website is free and is not having much funding.
As others have noted, it already shows the number of edits and the last edit time. I don't see a need for any further information about all the edits than what already exists.

Which social media or forum software does what you are asking? Can you show an example with a link to one? As far as I know facebook and X (twitter) don't show every single edit version for every post on those sites.
Neo

Post by Neo »

In that case, we are back to square(1), 👇
Rambutan wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:19 am ..
I would demand getting my money back.