Why 28 buddhas was from India?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Dropproof9718

Why 28 buddhas was from India?

Post by Dropproof9718 »

I wonder, why all buddhas are from India? Even metteya/maitreya will be born in India too
I like to play word and make pun, metaphor? it's ok.
SarathW

Re: Why 28 buddhas was from India?

Post by SarathW »

Buddhas always look for the region and time to be borne.
For instance, only a human can become a Buddha.
Perhaps the earth has some properties conducive to enlightenment.
For instance, Sri Lanka has the lowest gravity on the planet.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dropproof9718 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:49 am I wonder, why all buddhas are from India? Even metteya/maitreya will be born in India too
Consider that the Jains have a similar number of former awakened masters. If I had my sceptical hat on, I’d say this is all due to religious competition. It’s always in India because when these stories originated India was central.
“There is happiness arising from sensual pleasures and pain arising from seclusion; the pain springing from seclusion is better than the happiness arising from sensual pleasures”

Godattattheragāthā
Rambutan

Post by Rambutan »

Dropproof9718 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:49 am I wonder, why all buddhas are from India? Even metteya/maitreya will be born in India too
Do you think that Earth is the only place where there are Buddhas?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

To be fair to the Buddha, He never explicitly mentioned India, Nepal, nor any specific region where the Buddhas arrived. It's just the generic Jambudvipa location, which is generic enough for various interpretations.
emptyset

Post by emptyset »

Keep in mind this is not the only world system…
"Whoever sees dependent origination sees the Dhamma; whoever sees the Dhamma sees dependent origination."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

santa100 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:07 pm
To be fair to the Buddha, He never explicitly mentioned India, Nepal, nor any specific region where the Buddhas arrived. It's just the generic Jambudvipa location, which is generic enough for various interpretations.
Agree.
Perhaps Jambudvipa means a suitable location.
Maybe people use the Jambdvipa to be India.
How India is the only place for Buddhas when Buddhism was wiped off India due to the pagan religion Hinduism?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Buddha will be born in earth … I can’t say specifics of country …
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
sombrero

Post by sombrero »

Did Theravada survive continously anywhere in India? Or all Theravada communities recent?