Enrobing in Thailand Today

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
convivium

Enrobing in Thailand Today

Post by convivium »

Would it be foolish to get on a plane and fly to Thailand in search of a monastery? Should the monastery be contated in advance? What other viharas beyond Wat Pah Nanachat are recommended?
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Pannapetar

Re: Enrobing in Thailand Today

Post by Pannapetar »

If one has not been in Thailand before, or if one has limited knowledge about Thai culture, I would recommend to schedule a 6-10 weeks orientation period before getting into action. This time should be used for intensive learning of the Thai language, for developing a feeling for local culture and customs, and for the body to adapt to the tropical climate, endemic bacteria, and the Thai food. That way a lot of unnecessary stress and frustration can be avoided. The time can also be used for monastery reconnaissance.

Cheers, Thomas
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

convivium wrote:Would it be foolish to get on a plane and fly to Thailand in search of a monastery? Should the monastery be contated in advance? What other viharas beyond Wat Pah Nanachat are recommended?
I think it would be foolish considering the current political situation, perhaps the worst has passed I'd give it a few months before booking a ticket (says me who is having no luck convincing my wife to postpone ours).

I think Wat pah Nanachat is probably the best option if you are planning to be ordained long term and if you aren't interested in being tied to a specific meditation technique.

Otherwise this might provide a good starting point http://www.retreat-infos.de/page106/page106.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either way I'd recommend you visit and stay in a few places over a period of a few months before committing to one, this will also get you used to living in Thailand.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Pannapetar

Post by Pannapetar »

Goofaholix wrote:I think it would be foolish considering the current political situation, perhaps the worst has passed I'd give it a few months before booking a ticket...
Such concerns have little actual foundation. Even at the height of the political protests, the risk of contracting dengue fever, being run over by a drunk taxi driver, falling off a rickety pier, or being bitten by a poisonous animal, present much more common and much more likely dangers than being affected by political violence. It goes to show how TV distorts reality.

Cheers, Thomas
convivium

Post by convivium »

Has anyone travelled in Ubon? Is it sketchy? Pretty easy to get from monastery to monastery?
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

convivium wrote:Has anyone travelled in Ubon? Is it sketchy? Pretty easy to get from monastery to monastery?
The easiest way is to go go by plane from BKK, there is also an overnight train, I wouldn't recommend the bus.

It's easy to get from WPN to Wat Pah Pong but not so much other monasteries. I'd go to WPN first and then if you want to go to other monasteries get advice.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Its very easy to get around in Thailand. There are many taxis which are very cheap, and if none are available someone usually has the number of one who will come and pick you up for a small price. Thais usually get motorcycle taxis for shorter distances and there are usually groups of them waiting in various locations.
-----------------------
Bankei
convivium

Post by convivium »

thanks everyone. i just typed out my letter to wat pah nanachat. i hope it gets there this time.
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Hi,please keep us all informed as to how things are going. :anjali:
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
convivium

Post by convivium »

i haven't heard back, am looking for monastery w/ openings for anagarikas. any recommendations?
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

There are plenty of temples with websites and email addresses (buddhanet/google)...maybe contact someone through that method...Wat Pah Nanachat, continuing to shun rapid, and convenient, (public) communication should be enough to indicate where their 'head' is...good luck to you, there are more than 30,000 temples in Thailand...
convivium

Post by convivium »

Thank you. Is your impression that WPN is not exceptionally open to new aspirants?
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

I wouldn't necessarily say that...what I would suggest is perusing what others have to say about WPN...many love it, others not so much...
convivium

Post by convivium »

What are some of the unwholesome aspects, or those you have heard? I know it's a good place to learn the Vinaya. Ajahn Yatiko said it's a good place to live too...
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

convivium wrote:What are some of the unwholesome aspects, or those you have heard? I know it's a good place to learn the Vinaya. Ajahn Yatiko said it's a good place to live too...
I wouldn't say there is anything unwholesome about it, if anything it's possibly too wholesome for some people.

The vinaya practice there is among the strictest in Thailand, whixch is a good thingg, in addition there have many cultural observances and practices that some people will find difficult or annoying.

Many westerners go to a monastery expecting to be able to meditate all day, and expect a lot of teaching, at WPN you'll have more demands on your time and less time to meditate.

I found the weekly all night sittings the hardest as it ruined my meditation practice for the next day or two. The hour long bear foot pindhaphat on stoney roads was hard.

Having said that I had agreat time there and wish I had stayed longer. I recommend it unless you want to do intenseive meditation practice all day every day under the guidence of a teacher, if that's the case there might be many other places more suitable.

Also read the book "What the Buddha never taught" as a reality check.
― Ajahn Chah