Would a buddhist monk...

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Phra Chuntawongso

Re: Would a buddhist monk...

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

In the field of unreal and relative(pannatti)we use the terms-man,woman,dog,cat etc.
For example you have a user name-Hanzze.I also have a user name-Nanadhaja-This identifies you and me in an unreal and relative way.
The other day you sent me a PM to ask a question.Suppose all of here instead of using pannatti decided to use the terms of real and absolute(paramattha)
Your user name would be rupa,my user name would be rupa and all the other peoples names would be rupa.
How would you know which rupa to PM and how would the rupa that received the PM know which rupa had PM'd them?
So you see it is necessary to speak conventionally.
In Cambodia when you go to a stall to get some food and you want a bowl of noodles,you ask for a bowl of noodles and they give them to you.If you go to the stall and say "Rupa would like a rupa of rupa"my guess is that Rupa will start to feel a bit like a peta. :thinking:
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Hanzze wrote:tell: "I am a Monk."?
Would a Buddhist monk tell: "I am a Buddhist."?
Would a follower of the path call him self a Buddhist?

...from the view of practice, except of situations where one is needed to answer ( local law)
Okay, here goes:

I am a monk.
I am a buddhist.

So yes, a buddhist monk would. :smile:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Thus a stanza of the Sūtra of the Questions of the Devas (Devaparipṛcchāsūtra) says:

If he is an arhat bhikṣu
Whose impurities have been destroyed,
And who is in his very last existence,
Can he say: It is I?

The Buddha replies:

An arhat bhikṣu
Whose impurities have been destroyed
And who is in his very last existence
Can say: It is I.155

In current usage (lokadharma), we speak of the ātman, but not from the absolute (paramārtha), true point of view, for all dharmas are empty (śūnya) and devoid of substantial self (anātmaka). In current usage there is nothing wrong in speaking of ātman.

155 Sutta, entitled Arahaṃ, of the Saṃyutta, I, p. 14; Tsa a han, T 99 (no. 581), k 22, p. 154b-c; T 100 (no. 166), k. 9, p. 435c: yo hoti bhikkhu arahaṃ.... pi so vadeyya (iti devata). yo hoti bhikkhu katāvī.... vohāramattena so vohareyya (iti Bhagavā). Buddhaghosa interprets this sutta in the same way in the Sārattha, I, p. 51.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Dear Paññāsikhara,

thanks for your Dana.
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Phra Chuntawongso

Hanzze wrote:Dear Ven. Nanadhaja,

for sure we need to use a Name for all the "rupas". So what should a monk name him self, when there is a need for introduction? What is the explanation of a Monk if he is asked who or what he is?
Hi Hanzze,I would introduce myself as Venerable Greg or as Venerable Nanadhaja or when I relocate to Thailand,Phra Greg or Phra Nanadhaja.
If I was in a country where the people were not used to seeing monks in robes walking along the street doing alms rounds and they asked me who or what I was I would explain to them that I am a buddhist monk and I would also explain if they asked,what I was doing.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Phra Chuntawongso

Hanzze,if you would like to see some of the problems a buddhist monk can have in the west check out this site.
http://yuttadhammo.sirimangalo.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This monk has had to deal with the police in america.I think he gave them his name and what he was.American police do not always have a sense of humor. :jawdrop:
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Individual

Post by Individual »

When I asked the local Zen monk his name, he smiled and said, "You can call me whatever you like."
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Individual

Post by Individual »

Hanzze wrote:
Individual wrote:When I asked the local Zen monk his name, he smiled and said, "You can call me whatever you like."
Hi Individual,

That sounds very dhamma, thanks for the hint. So is there a different?
Is what different?

The Diamond Sutra
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Individual

Post by Individual »

Hanzze wrote:
Individual wrote:
Hanzze wrote: Hi Individual,

That sounds very dhamma, thanks for the hint. So is there a different?
Is what different?
A different between "Monk" from the view of the Dhamma taught by the Buddha.
I don't know.

The Diamond Sutra