Sports craze in San Francisco

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Prasadachitta

Sports craze in San Francisco

Post by Prasadachitta »

I dont follow sports so its rather startling when people spontaneously go crazy all over the neighborhood. People are honking, shouting, blowing horns, and generally acting a bit silly. I was walking home and people kept shouting at me while offering me a high five. At first I resisted but then I just started slapping hands.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Well why not?

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Kenshou

Re: Sports craze in San Francisco

Post by Kenshou »

When I hear the word "sports" I involuntarily zone out and don't hear what's being said for a few seconds.
cooran

Post by cooran »

gabrielbranbury said: People are honking, shouting, blowing horns, and generally acting a bit silly.
Why are they doing this? Is there a big sports final in your town/country? Or ... they're all drunk? Or ..... ?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

cooran wrote:Why are they doing this?
The local baseball team has made it to the World Series…kinda like the Superbowl of baseball…for the first time in, like, thirty years…I think... :popcorn:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanks Bhante. :smile: Well - that IS worth going crazy over, sort of like when Australia wins an international cricket test (which we haven't done for a while). :jumping:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

At least you didn't lose a one-day series to Bangladesh... :cry:

Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

mikenz66 wrote:At least you didn't lose a one-day series to Bangladesh... :cry:

Mike
Give us time, we'll get there!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Su Dongpo

Post by Su Dongpo »

It was an exciting series. The San Francisco Giants beat a stronger Philadelphia team in six games, the last win coming in Philadelphia. The score was tied, 2-2, until late in the game (8th inning) when Juan Uribe hit an opposite-field home-run into the right field stands. Philadelphia threatened in the last inning, but the Giants held on.

Now the Giants must face the Texas Rangers in what Americans like to call the "World Series." LOL

Go, Giants, Go. :woohoo:
Su Dongpo

Post by Su Dongpo »

Gabe, watch this and catch the fever --

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... d=14871772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJH

Post by MJH »

heybai wrote:Now the Giants must face the Texas Rangers in what Americans like to call the "World Series." LOL
I've heard that the real reason it's called the "World series" is because it was originally sponsored by the defunct New York newspaper "The World". And the name just stuck.... But since the Dodgers aren't in it, I really don't care. :tongue:

For me, baseball is a lot of fun to play and lots of fun to actually to go to a game, but watching it on TV is like watching paint dry.

By the way, my Dolphins are about to play. :smile:
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

heybai wrote:Gabe, watch this and catch the fever --

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... d=14871772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:zzz:

for me the excitement out on the street was more interesting. Kind of infectious really. I couldn't help but giggle a bit.
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
chownah

Post by chownah »

heybai wrote:It was an exciting series. The San Francisco Giants beat a stronger Philadelphia team in six games, the last win coming in Philadelphia. The score was tied, 2-2, until late in the game (8th inning) when Juan Uribe hit an opposite-field home-run into the right field stands. Philadelphia threatened in the last inning, but the Giants held on.

Now the Giants must face the Texas Rangers in what Americans like to call the "World Series." LOL

Go, Giants, Go. :woohoo:
Not very sprortsman like for Philadelphia to make threats to the Giants just because they were behind (although it does show alot of courage to threaten a team of giants!!!)!!! But I guess that in a game called base ball one should expect such baseness.
chownah
Su Dongpo

Post by Su Dongpo »

The SF Sangha ("Giants") wins Game 1!!! :clap:

The lowly Giants pushed the previously untouchable Cliff Lee, well, off the cliff before the 5th inning (or so I hear).

I only got to see the a bit of the game after Uribe broke the game open with that three-run blast.

I am 10,000 kilometers away, but the excitement is palpable.

C'mon, Gabe! You have got to be excited now! We need updates. Details, man, details!
Su Dongpo

Post by Su Dongpo »

chownah wrote: Not very sprortsman like for Philadelphia to make threats to the Giants just because they were behind (although it does show alot of courage to threaten a team of giants!!!)!!! But I guess that in a game called base ball one should expect such baseness.
chownah
I know, I have in times past been threatened by Philadelphians so I can empathize.

But baseball is a beautiful sport. Violence is frowned upon, and no one likes to see anyone get hurt. Now that the steroid nonsense is behind us, the game is being played at its most artful and highest level since it was invented in the nineteenth century.

Little known fact: Japanese baseball is nearly as old as its American cousin. Baseball was first played in Yokohama in the 1870s. I know that is true because I read it in a book. :smile:

Baseball was spread throughout the Caribbean by Americans, and around East Asia (Taiwan and Korea) by Japan in its former colonies.
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Im looking forward to the fireworks which I can see from my window. :jumping: