Is Kava an intoxicant?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Moth

Is Kava an intoxicant?

Post by Moth »

I bought this Yogi "stress relief" kava tea from the supermarket today. I looked it up online and people talk about using kava to get high, I assume in much higher doses. Would drinking this tea break my precepts? Here's a link to it http://www.amazon.com/Yogi-Stress-Relie ... B0009F3QKW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Re: Is Kava an intoxicant?

Post by Ben »

Greetings Moth,

From the sounds of the Wikipedia article (part of which reproduced below), it would appear that it has some definite intoxicating effects.
Kava or kava-kava (Piper methysticum) (Piper: Latin for 'pepper', methysticum: (Latinized) Greek for 'intoxicating') is a crop of the western Pacific.
The name kava(-kava) is from Tongan and Marquesan;[1] other names for kava include ʻawa (Hawaiʻi), ava (Samoa), yaqona (Fiji), and sakau (Pohnpei).
The roots of the plant are used to produce a drink with sedative and anesthetic properties. Kava is consumed throughout the Pacific Ocean cultures of Polynesia, including Hawaii, Vanuatu, Melanesia and some parts of Micronesia. Kava is sedating and is primarily consumed to relax without disrupting mental clarity. Its active ingredients are called kavalactones. A Cochrane Collaboration systematic review of its evidence concluded it was likely to be more effective than placebo at treating short-term social anxiety.[2] Safety concerns have been raised over liver toxicity, largely due to the use of stems and leaves by supplement makers, as opposed to solely the root of the plant as dictated by traditional uses.[3][4] However, based on a retrospective study of retained P. methysticum drug materials in Germany, the alkaloid pipermethystine, occurring to about 0.2% in the leaves, is an unlikely cause for the observed hepatotoxicity.[5] Whether kava hepatotoxicity may be due to contamination with aflatoxins or other mould hepatotoxins, requires further studies.[6] Heavy use of kava with comorbid alcohol consumption or an existing liver condition appears to lead to malnutrition, weight loss, liver damage (causing elevated serum γ -glutamyl transferase and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels), renal dysfunction, rashes, pulmonary hypertension, macrocytosis of red cells, lymphocytopenia, and decreasing platelet volumes.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kava" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keeping in mind that substances such as meth-amphetamine, cocaine, marijuana and a whole raft of other substances are not mentioned in the suttas, we use our judgement, as well as the counsel of our wise companions, in understanding what falls within the precept. If it were me, I would give the kava tea a wide bearth.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Moth

Post by Moth »

Yeah, I figure it's not worth dwelling in these gray areas. I'll return it, thanks for the advice.
Ben

Post by Ben »

You are welcome, Moth!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

marc108

Post by marc108 »

just like many medicinal herbs (tea, coffee included), kava in high doses can be intoxicating... that being said, using small, medicinally viable doses of kava should not break the 5th precept in my opinion because 1) there is no intention to become intoxicated 2) it would be nearly impossible to become intoxicated from the small dose in those teabags. the amount of kava in the yogi tea is hundreds of times below the amount you would need to become intoxicated... you would need to brew several entire boxes in one cup to feel even mild intoxication.

that being said if you still choose to avoid the kava, perhaps i could recommend some other herbs or teas for you to try to take for stress?
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Moth

Post by Moth »

marc108 wrote:that being said if you still choose to avoid the kava, perhaps i could recommend some other herbs or teas for you to try to take for stress?
I would appreciate that. I exchanged it for a chamomile/lavender blend. I'm very interested in making a custom blend.
Ben

Post by Ben »

And i am sure there will be no shortage of DW members who will share with you their favourite herbal concoctions.
Feel free to start a thread in the Health & Wellbeing forum on herbal tea.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Moth

Post by Moth »

ok, new thread here: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forestdweller0314

Post by Forestdweller0314 »

[html][/html]

I think the words "that lead to carelessness" are important. Without question, most can agree that alcohol leads to carelessness. As does methamphetamine and a lot of other substances. Even coffee, in high enough doses can lead to carelessness, i.e. agitation. I think it is important to reflect on the nature of the substance and how it affects us in making these decisions. 2 cups of tea in the morning does not lead to carelessness but 4 cups of coffee certainly could. Alcohol for sure does, kava...not so much.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Moth wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 am Yeah, I figure it's not worth dwelling in these gray areas. I'll return it, thanks for the advice.
There is a difference in the effects of kava based on how it is prepared. You don't have to return it, especially if you find it helps. Taking it as an herbal tea is not an intoxicant.
denise

Post by denise »

hello all...tried kava in the late 90s...then read that one should be careful as it may affect the eyes...so...that was it... :(
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I believe it is an intoxicant. Some people get intoxicated taking it. I tried it many years ago and remember feeling bad afterwards. I also read that the biochemical pathways that it effects is extremely similar to alcohol, so it isn't advised for anyone with a history of alcoholism.