Akashad

Re: Jhana Dhamma Talks

Post by Akashad »

Came across this talk hope it will be helpful to someone. (Pa auk). :namaste:

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

what is a 'hard jhana'?
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:22 am what is a 'hard jhana'?
A deeply-absorbed jhana (as opposed to the lighter versions).

See: The Great Jhana Debate.
Further discussion should be on that thread...

:heart:
Mike
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:31 am
salayatananirodha wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:22 am what is a 'hard jhana'?
A deeply-absorbed jhana (as opposed to the lighter versions).

See: The Great Jhana Debate.
Further discussion should be on that thread...

:heart:
Mike
Hi Salayatananirodha.

The short version is that there are two understandings of what jhana is. In the "hard jhanas" the mind is so focused, that it locks on the object of concentration, without being aware of anything else, including thoughts and the body. In the "light jhanas" the mind is stabilised and focused, but not locked. There is bodily awareness, and occasional thoughts in the background, but the mind's focus is stable. It is absorbed.

Both kinds of jhana are accompanied by the jhana factors, but the hard jhanas are harder to develop. They are deeper forms of concentration. But I also think they are not necessary to achieve stream entry. These days I think the difference is more about the degree of focus, than about two hypothetically very different forms of jhana. In my opinion, a sensible compromise for serious meditators would to develop light jhana in order to achieve stream entry and then consider developing the hard jhanas.

I recommend reading the thread that Mikenz66 linked to because it goes really in depth about the two understandings of jhana.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Modus.Ponens wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:28 pm This dhamma talk is by Ayya Khema. She describes the jhanas 1 to 8, how to get there (except that this part on the 4th is not possible to hear), what you do after each jhana and what insights you get from each jhana. In the end there's a bit of Q&A. It's a very good concise explanation of the subject, in my opinion.

The old link to this great dhamma talk is broken. But this one works.

It's called "The Eight Jhanas", and it was taught at Bodhinyana, on the 16th of March of 1994.

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/audio/the- ... ayya-khema
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

maybe
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
UpasakaAbhaya

Post by UpasakaAbhaya »

Dear Friends in Dhamma,

I'm looking for a Dhamma talk by either Ajahn Sujato or Ajahn Brahmali that I listened to partially between one and three years ago. All I remember is some language around the various objects of samatha being a way of tricking the mind into jhana.

Does this ring bells for anybody?

Metta and peace,
Bowing and thanks,
Upasaka Abhaya
Protect Dhamma

Post by Protect Dhamma »

What is Jhana?

Akashad

Post by Akashad »

Protect Dhamma wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:48 pm What is Jhana?

Thank you for your PM but the light is not seen with the eyes.It's not a physical or visual light.When you hear the teaching of Pa Auk's teachings it sounds like he is talking about physical light but people who have experienced jhana know he is not talking about a physical light.

:anjali:
Protect Dhamma

Post by Protect Dhamma »

Akashad wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:10 am
Thank you for your PM but the light is not seen with the eyes.It's not a physical or visual light.When you hear the teaching of Pa Auk's teachings it sounds like he is talking about physical light but people who have experienced jhana know he is not talking about a physical light.

Protect Dhamma

Post by Protect Dhamma »

Akashad wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:10 am
Protect Dhamma wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:48 pm What is Jhana?

Actually some people who practice Jhana at Pa Auk "believe" they are not seeing physical light. But they Are actually seeing physical light and then they mistake this for patibhaga nimitta.

What happens if you follow Pa Auk instructions?

When meditating, powerful bright rupa kalapas also appear because of the mind. These and subsequent generations of temperature born kalapas are mistaken for patibhaga nimitta.

How can we say this?

Because several Pa Auk descriptions of nimittas. They start with saying the nimitta is grey, then white, then bright and this gets brighter and brighter. These are all changes in colors of rupa kalapas being generated.

Also, Pa Auk sayadaw says if you look at the nimitta too closely you will see kalapas. Again he is suggesting that the Patibhaga nimitta is light or has kalapas.

More answer: the patibhaga nimitta does not have ultimate reality. There are no kalapas in it. It is a concept.

So, if you follow the videos you will understand that Pa auk sayadaw is mistaking light for patibhaga nimitta.

Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Akashad wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:10 am the light is not seen with the eyes.It's not a physical or visual light.When you hear the teaching of Pa Auk's teachings it sounds like he is talking about physical light but people who have experienced jhana know he is not talking about a physical light.
If I'm correct, Abhidhamma scholars say that the lights (or any paramatthas) that are perceived by mind (present/past/future) are also Paramatthas (realities) and not Concepts.