He's Baaack ...

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
NotMe

He's Baaack ...

Post by NotMe »

NotMe, known as Anicca previously years ago (user name was taken - good riddance) here again. Good to see so many old timers. Retrofuturist rebirthed Paul D? Tilt still 'Tilt'ing at the windmills! Ben's been Ben since before then. Bodom's work compiling suttas for the layperson was my introduction to dhammawheel years ago - shout-out to Bodom: Sadhu! Thanks David for creating and maintaining this all so well.

I am a 62 yr old (married over 40) okie (Oklahoma USA) former musician (62 - 90)/former computer scientist (90 - 05) now retired (since '05) studying the Theravada forest tradition (3 yrs studying/practicing 'anything' buddhist plus 7 yrs studying/practicing "Mun and sons" - 10 yrs total with buddhism) - my teacher(s) are the dhamma and the vinaya (as applicable to the practicing layperson) and y'all among others. I am not dogmatic regarding the Pali Canon, but use it if possible to resolve any conflict between 'other buddhists' views and my own - so I am mostly a "fundamentalist" buddhist.

I was raised Christian and remain enough of one to honor my mom and dad. I am not an eternalist Christian as others might define their Christian belief, contrasted to my buddhist approach, mine's a liberal, non-literal, non-denominational view of the Bible.

I became a student of buddhism because my wife experienced focal-dystonia symptoms in her flute playing. At a recording session, she lost the ability to get even a basic tone out of her instrument. She's very active in the flute world, taught university level, holds a doctorate, is a member of an international flute list and she reached out for help. You can imagine the width and breadth of replies - from some of the top flutists and many others. She was busy with other even more pressing issues at the time and had me research the multitude of offerings. Got exposure to fascinating stuff. Neuroplasticity had barely gained acceptance at that time. Buddhism was one offering, and it was my pick of the litter, with reinforcement from some of the (then) newly emerging sciences.

She is at best agnostic and at worst atheist - any taint of religion spoils her view. Sigh. Try as I could, (Christianity was a non-option), I could not make her view *anything* buddhist as non-religious. She is still struggling with her flute. I find a very impressive equanimity coming from buddhist practice.

I make no claims of being nuttin' but a practicing faith-follower on some issues like rebirth and one who "knows for himself from experience what he knows" of what the wise confirm.

That is NotMe in a nutshell.

Metta
bodom

Re: He's Baaack ...

Post by bodom »

Welcome back!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

NotMe wrote:. . .
Oh, okay. Didn't know you were gone.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome back!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Notme, welcome back!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Jim1

Post by Jim1 »

Hello NotMe, I don't think I knew you before on here but anyway, welcome back! I'm a Christian myself and absolutely believe in God. Buddhism helps me to stay peaceful and smiling. :)

As for your wife, maybe just suggest that she try some form of meditation.

With metta,
Jim
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Jim1 wrote:As for your wife, maybe just suggest that she try some form of meditation.
With metta,
Jim
Thanks Jim (and all). Yes. Yoga is her connection to meditation.
I have a wide variety of intro to buddhism books available - not just Theravada - and a friend of hers is familiar with Abhayagiri in CA w/Venerable Sumedho. If Ajahn Chah and crew can't reel her in, what chance have i except through example. I'm working on it. Metta
Jim1

Post by Jim1 »

NotMe wrote:
Jim1 wrote:As for your wife, maybe just suggest that she try some form of meditation.
With metta,
Jim
Thanks Jim (and all). Yes. Yoga is her connection to meditation.
I have a wide variety of intro to buddhism books available - not just Theravada - and a friend of hers is familiar with Abhayagiri in CA w/Venerable Sumedho. If Ajahn Chah and crew can't reel her in, what chance have i except through example. I'm working on it. Metta
Right on my friend. :)
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha
SearchingPeace

Post by SearchingPeace »

Welcome back
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

SearchingPeace wrote:Welcome back
Thank you, SearchingPeace!
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Really have enjoyed my stay. Thanks to all for sharing. Till next time. Metta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7x5k2_dHgE
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

NotMe wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:05 pm NotMe, known as Anicca previously years ago (user name was taken - good riddance) here again.
……
That is NotMe in a nutshell.

Metta
I did not know what to expect, returning here, now.

I choose Nilsson for my see ya song, and I thought maybe it’d be like his song You’re Breaking My Heart (explicit lyrics so no link), returning here a third time.

I found The Cure’s Just Like Heaven.

Still, I miss Tilt. Where’s Ben? David Snyder?

Me myself and I, that unholy trinity, Are still the same nutcase in the same nutshell, just aged a bit. I left here with a song and I think it’s appropriate to return with one.

Metta to all!

Don’t want to overstay my welcome, but maybe it will be for longer than a week this time.

Gotta shout out to Bodom. He was the snare that pulled me in here with his list of suttas for laypeople.