To what realm of birth do yakkhas and nāgas belong?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
kolayana

To what realm of birth do yakkhas and nāgas belong?

Post by kolayana »

Añjali, folks,

So, you've got your devas, your humans, your animals, your petas, your asuras, and beings suffering in Niraya when it comes to the realms of rebirth in Kamaloka, if I understand correctly. But various scriptures seem to refer to "spirits" and "ogres" and "dragons" in some translations, more accurately yakkhas and nāgas and such. I can't seem to place in what realm of rebirth to which these beings belong. It would make some sense for them to belong to the realm of the "hungry ghosts," but the only specific description of this realm I can find tends to describe these beings as more-or-less human looking with grotesquely exaggerated features that betray their most profound cravings.

I have read elsewhere, too, that King Yama is a being in some sort of mixed state, whose kamma, skillful and unskillful, bestows upon him some benefits of the deva birth and some drawbacks of the peta birth (to say nothing of my confusion as regards to King Yama's apparent role as a judge, when birth and suffering in Niraya are not a divine punishment but the results of actions). To what realm does he belong? To what realm do the "hell wardens" belong, who take one to King Yama and then off to be tortured once he has completed his questioning? Are these autonomous beings with desires and such, subject to death and rebirth? Are they things that have the appearance of beings but are, in fact, wholly mind-created and not at all independent?

To what realm of rebirth in Kamaloka do these beings belong, if any at all? If they do belong to such a realm, then am I right in concluding one could potentially be reborn as such a being, at least theoretically? (I don't know what I'd have to do to become King of Hell, but I'm honestly not all that curious.)
Yours in the most rightfully worthy Triple Refuge,
kolayāna.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: To what realm of birth do yakkhas and nāgas belong?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
kolayana

Post by kolayana »

Añjali, Bhikkhu Pesala,

Thank you for your answer. The search you recommended took me to a page on Access to Insight, which gave a very clear answer that yakkhas belong to a particular deva birth. I couldn't find any specific information on nāgas or on King Yama (as opposed to the more broad Yams devas, but I'm assuming this belong to similar births.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have much information regarding the "hell-wardens" or on the details of the role King Yama plays. But it is what it is; I'm not going to end up liberated by worrying too much about it.

Thank you.
kolayāna.
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

kolayana wrote:To what realm of rebirth in Kamaloka do these beings belong, if any at all?
The Nagas, Kumbhandas, Gandhabbas, and Yakkhas are tied in service each to one of the four Heavenly Devas of the Catumaharajikadeva loka who stand in guard of Sakka's Realm. (See Ven. Pesala's post.) Both the Nagas and Kumbhandas travel between the human realm and the heavenly realm immediately "above" us. I don't know if the same is true for Yakkhas or Gandhabbas.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
kolayana

Post by kolayana »

Añjali, rowboat,

Thank you for your answer! So I suppose rebirth as such a being is wholly within the realm of possibility and perhaps even a potentially happy rebirth. I've never met any such type of being, though, but on the off chance that I somehow managed to do so, I'll ask what the deal is.
kolayāna.
Chula

Post by Chula »

As far as I have heard "hell-wardens" are also in technically in devas (no reference to a sutta I can give you though), and the "King Yama" who passes judgment has influence over the realm, but obviously he is bound by kamma as well.

I like to think of Maha Brahma in the brahma worlds the same as way as well. When people "see God" and are convinced that they have had conversations with a the one true creator, it is actually Maha Brahma who himself is convinced that he is the creator of all things. But in fact he is also a being living in an impermanent realm, where another will take his place once his lifespan expires. I think it's a funny way you can explain away all monotheistic religion prophets and their experiences with God.
Mindstar

Post by Mindstar »

I believe right now and read some reports that at least some nagas live in the human realm. If all of them posses the technology and ability to travel to higher realms, that i dont know. They certainly are very intelligent and have got various types of psychic powers.

"There are non-humans who are fierce, violent, given to retaliation; those non-humans heed neither the (four) great kings, nor their ministers nor their attendants. They are called rebels against the (four) great kings. Even as in the kingdom of Magadha, the thieves heed neither the king of Magadha, nor the ministers, nor their attendants, and are called rebels against the king of Magadha, so there are non-humans who are fierce... (as before). They are called rebels against the (four) great kings."

Basic Naga Image:

There are of various different types of Nagas, this rather scary one is called "White Draco Royal" and goes more into the direction of a Dragon:

I can also provide an image of a Garuda, i guess they are possibly a part of the "Devas of the Four Great Kings" and the realms above.

"In Buddhist mythology, the Garuda (Pāli: garuḷā) are enormous predatory birds with intelligence and social organization. Another name for the Garuda is suparṇa (Pāli: supaṇṇa), meaning "well-winged, having good wings". Like the Naga, they combine the characteristics of animals and divine beings, and may be considered to be among the lowest devas."

Garuda Image (Blue Avian):

If you look at many different kind of beeings and compare them you will see that there is always the tendency to develop into a human form from some type of animal ancestor. Garudas and Nagas are two of the most prominent.

Source of the Images: spherebeingalliance.com

Higher than lordship over all earth,
Higher than sojourning in heavens supreme,
Higher than empire over all the worlds,
Is Fruit of Entrance to the Dhamma Stream.
—Dhammapada
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

I definitely prefer traditional ways of depicting these beings haha the images above gave me creep. In the Suttas, those beings were described as beautiful and often divine.

Naga:
Nagaraja_Guardstone_from_Sri_Lanka.JPG
ประติมากรรมพญาศรีมุกดามหามุนีนีลปาลนาคราช.jpg
Garuda:
Garuda.jpg
Picture source from internet.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

I read a source which said that yakkhas and nagas could kill with supernormal power.

What does that mean? Are we talking like causing human death from their realms?
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Adam1234 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:12 am I read a source which said that yakkhas and nagas could kill with supernormal power.

What does that mean? Are we talking like causing human death from their realms?
Extreme cases, yes.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Ontheway wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:36 am Extreme cases, yes.
What does that mean...? Like it's rare?