How does Mahasi Sayadaw meditation method differ from what Buddha taught?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
SarathW

How does Mahasi Sayadaw meditation method differ from what Buddha taught?

Post by SarathW »

How does Mahasi Sayadaw's meditation method differ from what Buddha taught?
If there is no difference why it is called Mahasi method?
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: How does Mahasi Sayadaw meditation method differ from what Buddha taught?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The method was taught and made famous by the Mahāsi Sayādaw, so they call it the Mahāsi method, rather than simply Satipaṭṭhāna or Dhātumanasikāra or Catudhātuvavatthāna, but it's also often called Satipaṭṭhāna Vipassanā, or simply Vipassanā meditation.

The Buddha taught many different meditation methods to suit different personalities and temperaments. We should select only some parts of what he taught and practice that. When you make a curry, you don't just chuck in everything you have in the kitchen. You select the ingredients and proportions carefully, and cook them according to a recipe or a well tested method. Then you have a good chance that the result will at least be edible, if not delicious.

The right method of meditation that works for you is like a good recipe that you find delicious and nutritious. You have to keep adjusting it to find the right method. This is why a skilled instructor is very valuable. He or she can see defects in your practice that you cannot see yourself.

It is obvious to me that you have practised very little of any meditation method, or you would not be spending so much time on this forum debating without any sense of purpose or direction. Perhaps you are too old to change, but I recommend that you take a serious 10-day course somewhere before it's too late.

There are as many different methods as there are teachers. Even within the same Mahāsi tradition, the way that Chanmyay Sayādaw taught is different to the way that Sayādaw U Paṇḍita taught, and their disciples like U Aggacitta or Phra Yuttadhammo.

Many instructions will be identical, or very similar, but they each have their own styles and emphasise different things. Bhikkhu Bodhidharma at the Satipanya centre, also teaches the Mahāsi method, but no doubt he has his own approach, as do I.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The Buddha taught many different meditation methods to suit different personalities and temperaments.
Perhaps then Mahasi method is not suitable for every one.
The way I understand Buddha taught breath meditation which is suitable for all temperaments.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Code: Select all

you would not be spending so much time on this forum debating without any sense of purpose or direction.
I thought Dhamma investigation in this forum is the time well spent as far as we do not waste others time.
:bow:
User156079

Post by User156079 »

I personally think the main diffrences would be which Satipatthanas were given preferrance depending on personality types. In Mahasi everybody just observes all 4 Satipatthanas, while afaik early one would focus on a more specific Satipathanna, ie Vedanas because that would be more optimal for him. Hence the structure of the meditation is probably a more of a cookie cutter approach, one size fit all.
xun2x

Post by xun2x »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:44 pm How does Mahasi Sayadaw's meditation method differ from what Buddha taught?
If there is no difference why it is called Mahasi method?
In my opinion, the method very similar to anapanasati(application satipatthana), except he change from nose to belly, but still breath.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

The Buddha never mentioned nose or belly.

If it's like a curry & different ingredients... I see the Mahasi method as chewing on a chilli... it bears little resemblance to the Buddha's recipes and might leave a bad taste.

'We are the happy ones' is not a sentiment I've ever associated with the Mahasi method.
jabalí

Post by jabalí »

BrokenBones wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:45 am The Buddha never mentioned nose or belly.
Despite this, the belly and the nose exist.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Happiness

The young Chanmyay Sayādaw with the Mahāsi Sayādaw many years ago.

The contemplation of the abdominal movements is not breathing meditation. It is paying attention to the four elements (dhātumanasikāra).

The method is well substantiated by the teachings in the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta.

Attention to the Elements Section
378. “Again, monks, a monk reflects on the elements in this very body however it is disposed — ‘In this body are the earth element, the water element, the fire element, and the wind element.’”

“Just, monks, as a skilful butcher or a butcher’s apprentice, having slaughtered a cow, and cut it up into portions, sits at a cross-roads. Similarly, monks, a monk reflects on the four elements in this very body however it is disposed — in this body are the elements of earth, water, fire, and air.”

“Thus he dwells contemplating the body internally … [295] Thus, too, monks, a monk dwells contemplating the body in the body.”
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

YKT
4 years ago
I had a wrong impression from many of Sayadaw's pictures, where it seems almost as though he is angry.
However, he looks like such a calm and amical monk. Thank you for sharing this video.

Lalithar SKT
7 months ago
When u read or listen his dhamma and after understanding from inside you will never thought sayadaw is angry🙏🙏🙏
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:04 pm The contemplation of the abdominal movements is not breathing meditation. It is paying attention to the four elements (dhātumanasikāra).
Hello Bhante,

Have you encountered any meditation teachers or methods that are helpful in contemplating the dangers of appropriating the elements as internal?

For example, the purifying effect of the fire element in rituals and its relationship to the hell realm?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

jabalí wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:41 pm
BrokenBones wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:45 am The Buddha never mentioned nose or belly.
And? I don't see what your point is.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

jabalí wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:41 pm
Without the aid of mirrors, how do you know that your "nose" exist?
Right from your centre you can't see it.
You feel it, don't you?
What do you feel? The elements.

Likewise, with your eyes closed, how do you know your "belly" exist?
"'A person has six properties.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? These are the six properties: the earth property, the liquid property, the fire property, the wind property, the space property, the consciousness property. 'A person has six properties.' Thus was it said, and in reference to this was it said.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Mumfie

Post by Mumfie »

pegembara wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:31 am Without the aid of mirrors, how do you know that your "nose" exist?
Why would a person who was in doubt about the existence of his nose want to forego the use of a mirror?

“Hobgoblin, nor foul fiend,
Shall daunt his spirit;”
John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress II)
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Mumfie wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:05 am
pegembara wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:31 am Without the aid of mirrors, how do you know that your "nose" exist?
Why would a person who was in doubt about the existence of his nose want to forego the use of a mirror?

Why would you need a mirror to know if you have a nose?
What if that person was born blind? Does he have a nose or not? If yes, how would he know? Or should he simply believe what he was told?
Or does the "nose" only exists if one can see?

Shall I put it in another way?
Do you experience your nose as been a little bit crooked or is it more that you experience being told that your nose is a bit crooked?
Does the blind person experience a crooked nose?

Hopefully, you get my drift- what is real and what you think is real are different things. It's a matter of perception and perspective.

:anjali:
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.