Richard Gombrich Interview

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Richard Gombrich Interview

Post by mikenz66 »

Very nice interview with Richard Gombrich, with wide-ranging discussion that encompasses love of money, truth, education, and Bhikkhunis.
Richard Gombrich is the Emeritus Professor of Sanskrit at Oxford University and a member of the Oriental Institute and Balliol College. He is the Founder and Director of the Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies, and the General Editor of the Clay Sanskrit Library. Before his retirement in 2004, he held the Boden Chair of Sanskrit at Oxford University and a Professorial Fellowship at Balliol College for 28 years. He supervised nearly 50 theses on Buddhist topics, and is the author of 200 publications.

So, sit back, relax, and have a nice Oxfordshire Afternoon Tea.
http://secularbuddhism.org/2017/01/15/e ... ern-world/
:anjali:
Mike
form

Re: Richard Gombrich Interview

Post by form »

I very much prefer to read his more controversial view points for mental stimulation.
form

Post by form »

Richard Gombrich: "I have the greatest difficulty in accepting that the main edifice is not the work of a single genius. By "the main edifice" I mean the collections of the main body of sermons, the four Nikāyas, and of the main body of monastic rules."[82]

I got the above from wiki page on four noble truth under note 21. If this theory is true, who is the single genius Prof Gombrich is referring to? Why only one person, as it could be a panel of editors?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

He's talking about the idea that the main ideas came from one historial person, the Buddha, not from a collection of teachers later systematised into a single person.

Mike
form

Post by form »

mikenz66 wrote:He's talking about the idea that the main ideas came from one historial person, the Buddha, not from a collection of teachers later systematised into a single person.

Mike
I see. Thank you.