Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by DNS »

Pretty good video on one meal a day program:

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
auto

Post by auto »

How do you know you eat one meal a day?

Answers like what you need not to chew counts as not a meal, snacks like fruits, chocolate doesn't count as meal adds to confusion.

About the notion of eating so much as you feel full:
if i don't get the fulness feeling then does it counts as a meal? if i eat only a little so it takes away the hunger feeling maybe like 250 calories but i don't get full, does it count as a meal?

if i have access to food and my eating doesn't disturb anyone i am alone, why i can't eat the amount of food what is decent size meal in 8 portions in separate times of day?

Therefore:

is it a rule how to behave as a group? otherwise there would be no order but constant asking for food, its better to use one meal rule..OR is there spiritual aspect to it then what it is?

i think the one meal per day and the time of day is for to guide large amount of people, dealing with more people than 10 or 20 group mentality changes and you need basic regulations.

to me its like talking with someone who thinks he needs to sit full lotus position and if you can't do it you don't get the states of mind or something.
I see some actually consider biological body and its limits and not everyone is capable and some are very capable because of biological body is capable. I mean yes full lotus is best i believe but it takes me 10 years to grow longer ligaments..but first i need figure out how to grow them longer..oh yeah i need regularly break them so the new parts grow longer bit by bit..haha forget it i have better things to do i have put my dibbs on other things.

i'm aware that there is budhist text what say that low heaven devas or their messengers come check people in certain days if they follow sabbath days etc. But this is different from this matter i think.

i have much more questions and considerations. Like with meat eating, i did it when i saw the reason why i should stop eating meat and i can describe it why, but can people who do one meal a day describe why they do it? and aren't they do it too sooooon, in my case i certainly can't do it and by the sensitivity i possess i assume those who do it possess much higer discernment, therefore i demand reasons...but as the above list its just rich people comparing their car collection.
hiri

Post by hiri »

I'm eating my only meal at about 6pm. Until then I just drink water and unsweetened tea, sometimes I drink a glass of juice later in the evening. This way I feel fit all day, I can manage my weight easier, I don't have to care about eating several times a day, and it saves time and money. Once you are used to it, and you experienced that it works, it isn't hard at all.
auto

Post by auto »

https://suttacentral.net/dn1/en/sujato
‘He eats in one part of the day, abstaining from eating at night and food at the wrong time.’
‘Ekabhattiko samaṇo gotamo rattūparato virato vikālabhojanā ….
ekabhattiko

some things you can do only once per day what then is reset by sleeping.

it might not mean a single eating moment like one meal.

vikālabhojana

http://dictionary.sutta.org/browse/v/vikāla
vikālaPTS Pali-English dictionary The Pali Text Society's Pali-English dictionary
Vikāla,[vi+kāla] “wrong time,” i.e.not the proper time,which usually means “afternoon” or “evening
there is much room for interpretations.

just eating one meal a day and expect you bring benefit or something, gain results, or becase its translated that way and monasteries do it on their own accord??

the reason is,
Such is an ordinary person’s praise of the Realized One.
iti vā hi, bhikkhave, puthujjano tathāgatassa vaṇṇaṃ vadamāno vadeyya.

taking that into account, the picture is different. The one meal per day challenge may be off topic.

also sabbath days hmm, it is complicated. Since there are day or half day where you can eat as much you can but don't get full or energized..

other words the food you eat is not always based on same reasons. If you eat a lot and many times it won't count on that beyond or different circle what counts as one meal per day circle.

so a low heaven messenger comes on sabbath day and see some eat and think "oh what they don't know about sabbath days ahh bad discernment"..
auto

Post by auto »

https://suttacentral.net/an10.31/en/sujato
“Sir, for how many reasons did the Realized One lay down training rules for his disciples and recite the monastic code?” “kati nu kho, bhante, atthavase paṭicca tathāgatena sāvakānaṃ sikkhāpadaṃ paññattaṃ, pātimokkhaṃ uddiṭṭhan”ti?

“Upāli, the Realized One laid down training rules for his disciples and recited the monastic code for ten reasons. “Dasa kho, upāli, atthavase paṭicca tathāgatena sāvakānaṃ sikkhāpadaṃ paññattaṃ, pātimokkhaṃ uddiṭṭhaṃ.
What ten? Katame dasa?
For the well-being of the Saṅgha and for the comfort of the Saṅgha. For keeping difficult persons in check and for the comfort of good-hearted mendicants. For restraining defilements that affect the present life and protecting against defilements that affect lives to come. For inspiring confidence in those without it, and increasing confidence in those who have it. For the continuation of the true teaching and the support of the training.
Saṅghasuṭṭhutāya, saṅghaphāsutāya, dummaṅkūnaṃ puggalānaṃ niggahāya, pesalānaṃ bhikkhūnaṃ phāsuvihārāya, diṭṭhadhammikānaṃ āsavānaṃ saṃvarāya, samparāyikānaṃ āsavānaṃ paṭighātāya, appasannānaṃ pasādāya, pasannānaṃ bhiyyobhāvāya, saddhammaṭṭhitiyā, vinayānuggahāya—
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Jack Dorsey, founder of Twitter is another fan of one meal a day.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/08/twitter ... abits.html

His 11 wellness habits include:

Meditating twice a day.
Eating one meal per day on weekdays.
Fasting all weekend.
Panny654

Post by Panny654 »

Since it appears to be inconsequential, and I see no inborn goodness in it.
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hello:

Iv been trying once meal a day for like 2 weeks, going well, the goal is six months. What i have noticed is:

100% sure

-Weight loss
-Fat loss

70% sure

-I suffer tennis elbow, but the pain in the joint is going a looot better, it seems my recovery time went from like 3 days to 1 day, playing 3-4 times a week, and the pain is manageable, not like before. This was amazing.

-something unexpected: pretty sure some acne i had in the back got WORST, probably some detox. Hope it gets better.

-Even mood and energy during the whole day. This one is the deeper one. Usually my mornings where great, mid day not so much, and after 7pm felt my body drained of energy, strong cravings, heavy/stiff body. Now the night is a lot more pleasant, there is not strong dislike at that time, and im waking up 1 hr early every morning without any effort.

Regards.
Marcos5438

Post by Marcos5438 »

There is no doubt that overeating can be a reason for many potential issues in health. The amount of food and the numbers of times we eat it should be regulated to keep healthy and fit. To deal with it, I often follow a diet plan in which all the necessary foods are listed and the time for eating them. Its a good way to develop healthy habit of eating.
purple1

Post by purple1 »

What is about constipation? I read one meal a day can cause constipation.

There is a book. Author Tim Ward. Book name "What the Buddha never taught"

The book is available online:

https://books.google.hu/books?id=Lc_gAA ... &q&f=false

The author travelled to Wat Pah Nanachat, and spent a brief period there. Tim Ward wrote a book about monastic life. He wrote about constipated monks, biting insects, snakes.

Here is an article:

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight- ... stipation/

Why Intermittent Fasting Can Make You Constipated—And Cause Other Poop Problems

The reason is simpler than you think.

Intermittent fasting (IF) can bring about a ton of changes to your body and health, from weight loss to better sleep. But no one really warns you about poop problems, like constipation. Yep, in some cases intermittent fasting can totally throw your bowel movements out of whack.

Constipation isn't the only possible side effect of intermittent fasting. Others have also claimed they've experienced the opposite issue, like diarrhea, in some cases.

Don't fret if poop probs happen to you, though. There's a totally valid reason for changes to your bowel movements when you start IF, says Cynthia Quainoo, MD, a gastroenterologist at Gastroenterology Associates of Brooklyn. "Stool consistency and frequency of bowel movements are directly related to what you put in your mouth, or what you don't put in your mouth," she explains.

Read on to learn about why intermittent fasting causes changes to your bowel movement—and Dr. Quainoo's tips for keeping things moving smoothly.

Why does intermittent fasting cause constipation in some people?

"Changes in diet very easily can cause changes in bowel movements," notes Dr. Quainoo. "With regard to intermittent fasting, people may suffer from constipation as a result of dehydration and poor dietary fiber intake."

Think about it: If you're eating less now that your window eating is limited, it's possible you aren't getting enough nutrients to keep your bowel movements regular, specifically dietary fiber. Dietary fiber helps your digestive system function properly by both adding bulk to your stool and by making sure food passes through your digestive tract with ease. So, not getting enough of it can def result in fewer toilet flushes.

The same goes for not getting enough water and other fluids. If you don't hydrate enough, that can make it even harder for your stool to pass, since fiber is only effective if you're getting enough fluids in your diet.

If you're doing a more extreme form of intermittent fasting, like the OMAD (one meal a day) diet, chances are you're taking in way less water. The less water you take in, the higher your risk of constipation. "The longer the fasting period, the less water you take in," Dr. Quainoo says, adding that you have to remember that foods have water content as well.

Dr. Quainoo says constipation generally means you're having fewer than three bowel movements in a week, or three or more days without a bowel movement. But you can still pass stool and have constipation, notes Dr. Quainoo. "Stool consistency should also be taken into account; stools that are hard, large, dry and require straining to pass can also be classified as constipation."

How can you keep your bowel movements regular while on a fasting diet?

As Dr. Quainoo puts it simply, "Constipation with intermittent fasting can be overcome by eating more fiber and drinking more water during the non-fasting period." Here is some specific advice:

Up your fiber intake. Dr. Quainoo says it's recommended that active individuals get 25 to 30 grams of fiber per day. Getting enough fiber will ensure your stool is bulky enough to pass and that it actually passes smoothly. From sweet potatoes to Brussels sprouts, there are a ton of foods high in fiber you can add to your diet.

Drink enough water. The recommended daily intake of water should be three to four liters per day, says Dr. Quainoo. Water plus fiber is key in helping your stool move along.

Drink coffee. Coffee can often cause the urge to have bowel movement in as little as four minutes after consumption. "Believe it or not, its mechanism of action is not completely understood," Dr. Quainoo says. "What we do know is that coffee stimulates the receptors in the colon to contract, and it is thought that caffeine by itself is not the culprit." Drink up that morning Joe (even if it's black and zero-cal to remain fasting window-compliant).

Get active. "Physical activity stimulates bowel motility," says Dr. Quainoo, who explains that a sedentary lifestyle can be a contributing factor to constipation. "Increased bowel motility decreases the amount of time stool is in the colon, which decreases the amount of water absorbed from the stool," she explains, meaning the stool is less dry and hard and much easier to pass. She adds that any exercise is good enough to stimulate bowel motility, though aerobic may be most effective, since it increases blood flow to all organs, including the gastrointestinal tract.

How? Monks don't eat after noon. They are eating one meal. An average-sized baked potato with skin provides about 170 calories and 4 grams of fiber. Dr. Quainoo says it's recommended that active individuals get 25 to 30 grams of fiber per day.

I think monks are not much physically active. They are going to alm rounds and they return to the monastery. Getting 25 grams of fiber from one meal is impossible. Monks are not much physically active. It also increase constipation.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

It depends on the type of food you eat. If one eats a lot of meat and other things that cause constipation, then you'll have constipation. If one eats more nutritious foods, with fiber, then it doesn't matter if one eats the calories for the day in one meal. I think it would be better to consume all calories in one meal, so the body has plenty of time to digest it before one goes to sleep. If one eats a large meal in the evening, it won't digest in time before one sleeps.
befriend

Post by befriend »

It makes the mind feel brighter in the morning because your not digesting food while you sleep.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Daniel6419

Post by Daniel6419 »

Hi, some people eat one meal a day they do because they want to lose weight, forcing themselves to burn fat.
JohnSo

Post by JohnSo »

Why one-meal-a-day? There are 3 Suttas talk about The Buddha recommendation

1. Bhadalli Sutta (MN.65)

2. Laṭukikopama Sutta (MN.66)

3. Kitagiri Sutta (MN.70)