Selecting a Sri Lanka Monastery for Ordination

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
paul

Re: Selecting a Sri Lanka Monastery for Ordination

Post by paul »

fornoxe wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:10 am Why Westerner have special training?
This secular meditation centre near Kandy is well adapted for westerners, but a booking is necessary:
http://nilambe.net/retreats.php
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

800rp / day also.

I don't understand. Why to speak about center for westerner? I am speaking about what I saw I mean even monk does not look for enlightment anymore (chanting chanting chanting), I just don't want to be with extremist and racist monks.

That's is your meaning about westerner center? Place where monks are looking for enlightment and unconditional love? U're freaking me lol
Suranga

Post by Suranga »

fornoxe wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:24 am 800rp / day also.

I don't understand. Why to speak about center for westerner? I am speaking about what I saw I mean even monk does not look for enlightment anymore (chanting chanting chanting), I just don't want to be with extremist and racist monks.

That's is your meaning about westerner center? Place where monks are looking for enlightment and unconditional love? U're freaking me lol
I see you freaked out. let me give you some advice. If you go and read old scriptures in (the thripitaka) budhism..then you will see a glimpse of the lord Buddhas time. there were good monks,bad monks, good dayaka's and bad dayaka's. even in buddhas time.etc..How can you expect otherwise now. Then these are the days after more than 2500 years past lord budhdha. there is no one to clear up the misunderstandings of vinaya nor the bad behaviour. I travelled arround sri lanka,myanmar ..it is every where.So going around a country and asking and talking with many monks wont work. Before going you need to do some research. Nowadays many people becoming monks for the financial (or material) perks it will give. There are only handfull of monks who genuinely try to practice. there are some monks in monasteries who try to practice. again trying to practice doesn't mean they become enlightened. isn't? So expect that. I hope you visited Na Uyana, and Meethirigala. especially Na Uyana. its good place and it will give you facilities you need to practise.And there are very good teachers if you try to find. But dont try to meddle with political problems in the country. everywhere its is the same.even in myanmar. Try to do your own business. And you will be fine. Take as much as possible you can and leave the place unattached. Nothing else we could do .can we? We can't change the world.
Suranga

Post by Suranga »

fornoxe wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:24 am 800rp / day also.

I don't understand. Why to speak about center for westerner?
He meant the westerner or some one coming from a different country and culture have different needs.they cannot change to our way of doing things with in a day or too. For example. We as sri lankans take many spicy foods. If we give the same food to you (which is easy for us ,BTW) then you will run away with out looking back.surely. So most monasteries try to cater you as much as possible.Not every monastery can provide facilities for foreign people. that's is what he may have meant. hope it clears up
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Aloka upadi? The abbot is arhant .. she told it herself...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Suranga

Post by Suranga »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:29 pm Aloka upadi? The abbot is arhant .. she told it herself...
Not the only.and not the first..there will be many more like that in future..
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Suranga wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:45 am
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:29 pm Aloka upadi? The abbot is arhant .. she told it herself...
true arhants? but i am not convinced
Suranga

Post by Suranga »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:53 am
Me neither ..so I just disregard these
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Suranga wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:00 am

is there arhants in sri lanka?
or non returner or sotapanna?
Suranga

Post by Suranga »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:20 am
Suranga wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:00 am

is there arhants in sri lanka?
or non returner or sotapanna?
Real arhants ,may be.we hear a stories about good monks in the remote forests time to time. but these...I don't know, and there are many(like these) who claim them selves arhants or non returners. I never listen to any body who advertising them selves arhants. Anybody who is a non returner will never advertise them self .that's just my understanding.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

pilgrim wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:06 am Just as an option, you may be interested to know there are some lesser known monasteries which practise in the Goenka tradition. This one is in Sri Lanka
https://sites.google.com/site/kahagollamonastery/
Hello there "pilgrim",

I am quite interested in monasteries where monks practise in the Goenka tradition. Other than the "kahagollamonastery" in S.L., would you know of any other places in India (preferably) or Burma? If I ordian, I like to be in a place where they teach Vinaya very well and train strictly as per Buddha's code.
I have been practising seriously in Goenkaji's method for several years and that resonates with me much.

Much metta!
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Mahaviharaya temple open for ordination?
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

paul wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:07 pm NUA APPROXIMATE TIMELINE TO BHIKKHU ORDINATION

1-4 months: Upāsaka (8 Precepts)
6-12 months Pabbajjā (going forth) and abiding as a Sāmaṇera (Novice monk) (10 Precepts and 75 Sekhiya rules) January – March: Vinaya Classes
April: Vinaya Exam
June: Upasampadā (higher ordination) at Galduwa Monastery
Are Vinaya classes/Exam in English?

Thanks.