Social Media

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
alan

Social Media

Post by alan »

Hi friends, I am on Facebook a lot. Most, to share my pretty pictures. But I also share my opinions about politics.
Which are, of course, 100% true.
They are true because I can prove them to be true. I can prove them by being reasonable, and using facts.
But...many people do not care about facts, or value reason. Most people just believe whatever they want to believe.
They respond emotionally, not logically. Which is dumb as Hell, and pisses me off.

Here's the question: Has Social Media done any good? I mean, besides letting me show beautiful beach photos?

Because, in Social Media, we see how stupid and ignorant most people really are. And how easily there are manipulated. One Idiotic thing can be spread to so many people who do not have the ability to reason. For instance, that "Benghazi" thing, which was total nonsense. And now there is this "Memo". Such idiocy! Such nonsense! FOX Propaganda network will pick it up, and assume conclusions that are not proven.
And, it will be believed, and a story will be told, and repeated. A false narrative has been established. It will be repeated over and over again, and stupid people will believe it.
This is the dark side of Social Media.
alan

Re: Social Media

Post by alan »

Which brings me back to my initial post on DW: Are there any rational people out there?
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

alan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:06 am Which brings me back to my initial post on DW: Are there any rational people out there?
Yes. Most of my FB 'friends' are rational - or they wouldn't still be my 'friends'. :smile:
But the :quote: :quote: are still necessary, because 'friends' aren't exactly friends. Some are people I knew decades ago but haven't seen IRL for a very long time. Some are friends or 'friends' of people I know IRL but I have never met them myself.
:shrug:
Use FB for its good points and don't stress over its silly side.

:coffee:
Kim
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

alan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:57 am my opinions... Which are, of course, 100% true.

They are true ... I can prove them to be true.

But...many people [are] dumb as Hell, and [it] pisses me off.

Such idiocy! Such nonsense! stupid people will believe it.
I turned it into a poem called Alan's Opinions. It sounds similar to a Trump tweet.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

alan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:06 am Which brings me back to my initial post on DW: Are there any rational people out there?
What do you mean by "rational", alan?
denise

Post by denise »

hello all....quite a few years ago magazine reading was an activity many enjoyed....now with the cost of magazines and all the resources involved with producing them they are not bought and read as much....looking at facebook is a lot like reading a magazine....if things there trigger negative thoughts all the time ....don't do it....release facebook...or whatever else has a hold on you in social media...(keep Dhamma Wheel of course .. :group: ) be well
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

alan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:57 am Here's the question: Has Social Media done any good? I mean, besides letting me show beautiful beach photos?
Yes, social media has done some good. It has been used to help families stay in contact, find missing persons, raise funds for good causes, publicize small but meaningful events that would otherwise go unnoticed, helped minority groups communicate, facilitate dissemination of information during emergencies, etc.

That's not to say there aren't negative uses/effects as well.

I choose to stay off social media, as the negatives outweigh the positives for me. YMMV.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I quit social media because of the self-righteous political anger on it.
denise

Post by denise »

it's essential to be able to skip over certain posts....without really dismissing the "friends".....acknowledge and release of sorts
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

alan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:57 am ... in Social Media, we see how stupid and ignorant most people really are. And how easily there are manipulated. One Idiotic thing can be spread to so many people who do not have the ability to reason....
It really shows how much dukka and delusion there is and causes for it doesn't it?
A good incentive to follow Buddha's advice and stay on the path which leads away from samsara and this whole mess, don't you think?
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
alan

Post by alan »

Yes.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

quite interesting video
I see similar behaviors in myself and others in regards to this forum too.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

posted in another thread, but worth repeating here:

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

January end .. streaming of super blue blood moon on Facebook .. 16 million viewers .. and it was fake .. that's right .. someone faked the moon!!

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/31/media/f ... index.html

Social media (basically Facebook and Twitter .. Instagram is image sharing site and not real social media .. more of a broadcast site) is for the ignorant and foolish.

Maintain a profile because sometimes you need one to prove you are who you say you are (some dating apps require a mandatory FB profile).

But don't much share or read anything ..

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

One thing i think is worth adding is that it is not a companies fault to create "Addiction"
Because this is in practice developing a product that the marked likes, there is no other way around it.
People are doing it to themselves, now complaining they the companies are making too likably of a product lol. :rolleye: