I am a gambler

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
HighPaste6

Re: I am a gambler

Post by HighPaste6 »

To be honest, I'm more interested in how well you trade. What is the profitability?
NancyV

Post by NancyV »

Hi!
I think that gambling is not a good decision ...
polo

Post by polo »

Why are you avoiding people and live like a hermit? Would be good to tell us the reason. Apart from the reason that you want to avoid people there must be other reason.
I don't see your problem really because I believe that if your gambling does not cause misery or harm to anyone(especially immediate family members). By that I mean It would be wrong if you lost money your sons or daughters go without foods or not being able to pay for their education.
If you are very very rich you have put aside money for the livelihood for your wife or children then your gambling couldn't possibly harm anybody.
Did you make any attempt to move away from gambling?(from the stock market)
Or have you try not to live like a hermit so you could get a normal job or have you even entertained that idea at all.
Is not much good talking on this forum if you have no intention to do anything to change the situation.
It would be nice to hear from other members on why gambling is bad as far as Buddhism is concerned. Buddhists even during Buddha's time could analyzed so many problems and explained them in such logical scientific ways are the reasons why I became a Buddhist. I was overwhelmed by the scientific and psychological aspects of Buddhism.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

if u go by stats and win its more like research but if u do blindly its self harm.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

alfa wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:20 am Friends :smile:

I am an introvert, almost a hermit. I do not like to interact with the world, except when it's necessary or when it's spiritually meaningful (such as participating in this forum). Else, I keep to myself.

I hardly go out, have no social media accounts. Put simply, a hermit.

But we all have to earn a livelihood. I do so by gambling in the stock market. That way, I get to stay home and avoid people.

A staunch Buddhist will call this wrong livelihood. But I need the money to survive.

Your thoughts? :meditate:

U want money, but dont wont to work?
It is weird.

Why u take wrong livelihood?
Just find a job that suits with you,
there are many jobs.
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."
jc1990

Post by jc1990 »

it breaks precept 5, leads you to suffering.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

jc1990 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:52 pm it breaks precept 5, leads you to suffering.
5th precept:
Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.

The 5th precept has to do with alcohol and drugs, not gambling. Did you read the OP? It is about him making a living placing trades in the stock market, which is not completely gambling since one can do that by making educated decisions.
jc1990

Post by jc1990 »

DNS wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:29 pm
jc1990 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:52 pm it breaks precept 5, leads you to suffering.
5th precept:
I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.

The 5th precept has to do with alcohol and drugs, not gambling. Did you read the OP? It is about him making a living placing trades in the stock market, which is not completely gambling since one can do that by making educated decisions.
precept 5, you don't drink alcohol or drugs or do any kind of mischief which leads to decline, that's what I have learn from bhikkus, mischief in thai is อบายมุข
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

jc1990 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:55 pm precept 5, you don't drink alcohol or drugs or do any kind of mischief which leads to decline, that's what I have learn from bhikkus, mischief in thai is อบายมุข
Yes, but the 5th precept is about alcohol and drug intoxication, not gambling.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

jc1990 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:55 pm
DNS wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:29 pm
5th precept:

precept 5, you don't drink alcohol or drugs or do any kind of mischief which leads to decline, that's what I have learn from bhikkus, mischief in thai is อบายมุข
I think you might need to study the 5 precepts in a bit more detail, and the Buddha's teachings on kamma in general.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Not sure why you have to see investing as a gamble. With that way of thinking, getting out of bed is a gamble. Driving a car is a gamble. Putting a spoonful of food in the mouth is a gamble.

Wisely supporting wholesome ethical industries and people is good. If it is done recklessly with more than one can afford for a thrill of gambling or wishing for a great return and lamenting when there is none then the problem is the usual craving which, in Buddhism, is to be dealt with in the usual way. In turn, wisdom arises and good use of excess wealth improves. Otherwise, consider joining Gamblers Anonymous.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Hello, is it bad to bet in a soccer game? , (like for example, if i know who is gonna win.) Is it wrong livelihood? Is it stained money? Thank you
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Parabhava sutta
To be a rake, a drunkard, a gambler, and to squander all one earns — this is a cause of one's downfall.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nara.html
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
jc19900302

Post by jc19900302 »

My thought is, you should get out and do outside work, staying on the internet is not healthy.

I myself have quit all my online work, no more social media accounts and going to work outside. I even tried quitting dhammawheel a few times but I have questions and need to ask so I have this account. Otherwise, internet is very negative in nature and will not help you. If you want to be a hermit, be a hermit, leave your home, you are not a hermit if you live at home. It is also very dangerous because you could believe yourself to be a hermit and might interfare with kama because of your old habits.
TryingToMeditate

Post by TryingToMeditate »

I'm jc1990, I'm sorry I give advice to others but I myself I'm ignorant. Yes, indeed gambling is not forbidden in sila 5, maybe just unwholesome I think. Sorry again.