Finding the table for twelve Vipallasas, kindly help me.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Finding the table for twelve Vipallasas, kindly help me.

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Hello friends,

Please kindly show me where can I find this table in english; if possible, accompanied by explanation, examples and similes.

Thanks in advance.

These are what i found on the net:

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books7/Ajahn ... llasas.pdf

https://dhammawiki.com/index.php/Vipallasa
Vipallasa
Vipallāsa: 'perversions' or 'distortions'. - There are 4 perversions which may be either of perception saññā-vipallāsa of consciousness citta v or of views ditthi-v And which are these four? To regard what is impermanent anicca as permanent; what is painful dukkha as pleasant or happiness-yielding; what is without a self anattā as a self; what is impure ugly: asubha as pure or beautiful A. IV, 49. - See Manual of Insight, by Ledi Sayadaw WHEEL 31/32. p.5.

Of the perversions, the following are eliminated by the 1st path-knowledge sotāpatti the perversions of perception, consciousness and views, that the impermanent is permanent and what is not a self is a self; further, the perversion of views that the painful is pleasant, and the impure is pure. By the 3rd path-knowledge anāgāmitā are eliminated: the perversions of perception and consciousness that the impure is pure. By the 4th path-knowledge arahatta are eliminated the perversions of perception and consciousness that the painful is pleasant; Vis.M XXII, 68.

References
Maha Thera Nyanatiloka. Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines, Buddhist Publication Society, first edition 1952.

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
metta

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
  • "an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" :D ~ MN22
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: Finding the table for twelve Vipallasas, kindly help me.

Vipallasa Sutta: Distortions of the Mind
translated from the Pali by
Andrew Olendzki

These four, O Monks, are distortions of perception, distortions of thought distortions of view...

Sensing no change in the changing,
Sensing pleasure in suffering,
Assuming "self" where there's no self,
Sensing the un-lovely as lovely

Gone astray with wrong views, beings
Mis-perceive with distorted minds.

Bound in the bondage of Mara,
Those people are far from safety.
They're beings that go on flowing:
Going again from death to birth.

But when in the world of darkness
Buddhas arise to make things bright,
They present this profound teaching
Which brings suffering to an end.

When those with wisdom have heard this,
They recuperate their right mind:

They see change in what is changing,
Suffering where there's suffering,
"Non-self" in what is without self,
They see the un-lovely as such.

By this acceptance of right view,
They overcome all suffering.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .olen.html

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Vipallasa Sutta: Perversions
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu

"Monks, there are these four perversions of perception, perversions of mind, perversions of view. Which four? 'Constant' with regard to the inconstant is a perversion of perception, a perversion of mind, a perversion of view. 'Pleasant' with regard to the stressful... 'Self' with regard to not-self... 'Attractive' with regard to the unattractive is a perversion of perception, a perversion of mind, a perversion of view. These are the four perversions of perception, perversions of mind, perversions of view.

"There are these four non-perversions of perception, non-perversions of mind, non-perversions of view. Which four? 'Inconstant' with regard to the inconstant is a non-perversion of perception, a non-perversion of mind, a non-perversion of view. 'Stressful' with regard to the stressful... 'Not-self' with regard to not-self... 'Unattractive' with regard to the unattractive is a non-perversion of perception, a non-perversion of mind, a non-perversion of view. These are the four non-perversions of perception, non-perversions of mind, non-perversions of view."

Perceiving constancy in the inconstant,
pleasure in the stressful,
self in what's not-self,
attractiveness in the unattractive,
beings, destroyed by wrong-view,
go mad, out of their minds.
Bound to Mara's yoke,
from the yoke they find no rest.
Beings go on to the wandering-on,
leading to birth & death.
But when Awakened Ones
arise in the world,
bringing light to the world,
they proclaim the Dhamma
leading to the stilling of stress.
When those with discernment listen,
they regain their senses,
seeing the inconstant as inconstant,
the stressful as stressful,
what's not-self as not-self,
the unattractive as unattractive.
Undertaking right view,
they transcend all stress & suffering.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

THE VIPALLĀSAS

The distortion of view, perception and thoughts perpetuating delusion.

A talk given by Ajahn Brahmavamso at Bodhinyana Monastery on 10 th January 2001
https://www.dhammatalks.net/Books7/Ajah ... llasas.pdf

Excerpts (vipallāsas - Ajahn Brahmavamso): 1
Vipallāsa: Perversion or distortion of perception, thought and view – taking what is impermanent to be permanent; what is suffering to be happiness; what is empty of a self to be a self; and what is not beautiful (asubha) to be beautiful (cognitive distortion).
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
metta

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Excerpts (vipallāsas - Ajahn Brahmavamso): 2 https://www.dhammatalks.net/Books7/Ajah ... llasas.pdf
All that is truly there is just an empty mirage and on top of that mirage we build up this whole idea of a ‘me’, a ‘mine’ and from that, time and time again we create the world of samsāra . We create the world of old age, sickness, death and rebirth.
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
metta

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Excerpts (vipallāsas - Ajahn Brahmavamso): 3 https://www.dhammatalks.net/Books7/Ajah ... llasas.pdf
The ‘Four Noble Truths’ explain the cause of suffering as craving. Craving itself has a cause and that is avijjā, delusion. It’s through the overcoming of that delusion and seeing things in a different way that we become enlightened.

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Excerpts (vipallāsas - Ajahn Brahmavamso): 4
When we see things for the first time in the correct way as the Buddha, the Arahants and the Ariyas saw things, then we become a ‘Stream Winner’ and that’s the first crack in the veil of avijjā, or delusion. We’ve got a glimpse, a glance, a clear look at the truth of things. By cultivating that insight and the causes of that insight, we open up that crack more and more until our cognitive faculties will only ever see things in terms of the Dhamma, ‘not me’, ‘not mine’, ‘not a self’.

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Excerpts (vipallāsas - Ajahn Brahmavamso): 5
So it’s the uprooting of avijjā, seeing through the delusion which is the core experience of the Buddha’s path. When the Buddha sat under the Bodhi tree he called his experience Enlightenment because it was a ‘breaking through’ of delusion, a shattering of delusion, to see the truth. But the Buddha also said that the truth he saw was hard to see. It’s not a simple thing to be able to break through that delusion.

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Excerpts (vipallāsas - Ajahn Brahmavamso): 6
Understanding the vipallāsas gives one a direction, or a way to focus one’s efforts and energies in order to gain the same experiences as those of the Buddha.

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Excerpts (vipallāsas - Ajahn Brahmavamso): 7
Buddha described the vipallāsas from the three levels of cognition – views, perceptions and thoughts. Those levels of cognition should not be considered as one above the other. Instead they turn around in a circle, each one supporting the other. Thought is that which makes our view and we perceive in a certain way because of our thoughts and views. These three turn around each other. We think in a certain way because of our views and perceptions.

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Excerpts (vipallāsas - Ajahn Brahmavamso): 8
Why do we have the view we have? Why do we even perceive and think the way we do? If any of these three is fundamental it is view.

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Excerpts (vipallāsas - Ajahn Brahmavamso): 9
People very often say that we see things the way they are, but that phrase, “Seeing things the way they are” is fraught with danger because we do not see things the way they are. Only Arahants see things the way they truly are. What people see is just the way they want things to be. We see according to our views and those views are so strong that they even filter out change and warp the very perceptions that first come to our consciousness. When Krishna Murti spoke about ‘choiceless awareness’ that awareness was already bent and deformed by what he wanted to see. He had no conception of the vipallāsas and therefore really missed the point. Just bare attention, just bare perception, is not enough. The defilements have already been at work and that’s the problem. We cannot trust even the first experience that comes to our senses.

Even what I am saying now – you’re already filtering it. What gets to your ears and how you understand it is as though it has been bent by your whole system of views.
:heart: :heart: :heart:
:anjali: :anjali: :anjali:

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Excerpts (vipallāsas - Ajahn Brahmavamso): 10
You don’t know what truth is or what truth is not, because you can’t see the workings of the defilements. The defilements are like the spin doctors of the mind. They take the truth and they massage it. They filter it. They stop you being conscious of things that you don’t want to know and they put things forward in the way you want to experience them. By the time the spin doctors have done what they do in the silence of the hidden corners of the mind, what you actually see, what you perceive, is already far from the truth of the matter.

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Excerpts (vipallāsas - Ajahn Brahmavamso): 11
Basically this shows you that you cannot trust your perceptions. Whatever you see, hear, smell, taste, or touch with your body, whatever you perceive with your mind, all of those perceptions have already been bent and distorted. You cannot trust any of it. To be frank some of the perceptions that we take to be pleasant are not really pleasant. What is pleasant? How many of you have actually seen something that you thought was beautiful and later you see that same thing and you wonder what you saw in it that was beautiful?

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

vipallasas

Chapter 4 - Misconceptions (In Asoka’s Footsteps by Nina Van Gorkom)
https://www.wisdomlib.org/buddhism/book ... c2840.html

Excerpts (a)
We have a distorted view of reality: what is impermanent we take for permanent, what is dukkha we take for happiness, what is non-self we take for self, what is foul we take for beautiful. Without the Buddha’s teachings we would never know that we have a distorted view of reality, that we deviate from the truth.

We read in “The Path of Discrimination” (Patisambhidamagga, First
Division, VIII, Treatise on Perversions) :

Bhikkhus, there are these four perversions of perception (sanna), perversions of cognizance (citta), perversions of view (ditthi). What four? Bhikkhus, seeing what is impermanent as permanent is a perversion of perception, a perversion of cognizance, a perversion of view. Seeing the painful (dukkha) as pleasant is a perversion of perception, a perversion of cognizance, a perversion of view. Seeing what is not self as self is a perversion of perception, a perversion of cognizance, a perversion of view. Seeing the foul as beautiful is a perversion of perception, a perversion of cognizance, a perversion of view. These, bhikkhus, are the four perversions of perception, perversions of cognizance, perversions of view.

Four of the eight akusala cittas rooted in lobha, attachment, are accompanied by ditthi. When there is ditthi one clings with wrong view to the self, to what one believes is permanent, to what one takes for beauty and for happiness.

Citta is the “leader” in cognizing an object, and the accompanying cetasikas also experience that object, but they have each their own function. Citta and the accompanying cetasikas condition one another. When citta is accompanied by ditthi, the citta and the other cetasikas, sanna included, are conditioned by ditthi: all of them are perverted by wrong view.

Sanna (Sanna is usually translated as perception. Sanna which accompanies kusala citta is completely different from sanna which accompanies akusala citta. Also in the case of akusala citta without ditthi, sanna which is perverted remembers wrongly, in a distorted way, and citta which is perverted cognizes the object in a distorted way.) which accompanies each citta has the function of remembering or recognizing.

The commentary to the “Path of Discrimination”, the 
“Saddhammappakasini”, explains that the perversions of sanna, citta and ditthi have different strengths:

“... The perversion of sanna is the weakest in strength of all three. The perversion of citta has more strength than the perversion of sanna. The perversion of ditthi has the greatest strength of all three.”
This reminds us of the danger of wrong view.

We have learnt through the teachings that all dhammas are anatta, but we forget that realities are beyond control, that they do not belong to us. Even when we develop vipassana we can be lured by the wrong view of self : we believe that “we” can cause the arising of sati.

At the first stage of insight nama is clearly distinguished from rupa. We cannot forego this stage, because so long as we are confused about the difference between nama and rupa, higher stages of insight cannot be reached, the impermanence of realities cannot be realized and the concept of self cannot be eradicated.

We read in the “Dispeller of Delusion”, the commentary to the “Book of Analysis”, to the second Book of the Abhidhamma (Ch 7, Classification of the Foundations of Mindfulness) about reasons why the Buddha taught the four Applications of Mindfulness, namely of the body, of feeling, of citta and of dhammas. One of the reasons is as follows:

Or alternatively, it is in order to abandon the perversions (vipallasa) of the beautiful, the pleasant, the permanent and self. For the body is foul, and herein beings are perverted (into regarding it as beautiful) by the perversion of the beautiful. The first foundation of mindfulness is stated in order to abandon that perversion by showing them the foulness therein.  And as regards feeling and so on, taken as “pleasant, permanent, self” feeling is dukkha, citta is impermanent and dhammas are non-self. And beings are perverted as to these (Namely citta and dhamma.) by the perversions of the pleasant, the permanent and self.  The remaining three (Applications of Mindfulness) are stated in order to abandon those perversions by seeing dukkha etc. (dukkha, impermanence and non-self.) therein. Thus, they should alternatively be understood to be stated as four, no less, no more, in order to abandon the perversions of the beautiful, the pleasant, the permanent and self.

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
metta

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...