Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
budo

Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by budo »

[ For details on the purpose and scope of this topic, please see this post by budo - thanks, retro. ]

On not being a woman
A man who desires to keep being male from birth to birth, let him avoid another’s man wife as a man with washed feet the mire.
A woman who desires to become male from birth to birth, let her worship her husband like he is the king of heaven.
- Mahanaradakassapa Jataka

On bending over for women
This dream too will not have its fulfillment until those future days of which I have already spoken, when the world is declining. At that time men’s passions will be so strong that husbands will be thoroughly infatuated with their childish wives. Men will lose all judgment and self-respect. Being completely smitten, they will place their infantile wives in charge of everything — servants, livestock, granaries, gold and silver, everything in the house. Should the over-fond husband presume to ask for some money, or for a favorite robe, he will be told to mind his own business, and not to be so inquisitive about property in her house. These abusive young wives will exercise their power over their husbands as if the men were slaves.
- Mahasupina Jataka

On not trusting womankind
A manly vigour he may show, from worldly taint be free,
Her maiden wooer may perhaps winsome and loving be,
In times of trouble and distress leave him she will and must,
I for my part in womankind can never put my trust.
- Kunala Jataka

Gender Roles:
In five ways should a wife as the western direction be respected by a husband: by honoring, not disrespecting, being faithful, sharing authority, and by giving gifts.

And, the wife so respected reciprocates with compassion in five ways: by being well-organized, being kindly disposed to the in-laws and household workers, being faithful, looking after the household goods, and being skillful and diligent in all duties.
- Sigalovada Sutta
For her husband, she must wake up before him, go to bed after him, be of service to him, conduct herself to please him and speak words that are loving to him.
- Anuruddha Sutta
Of things her husband earned such as money, rice, silver, or gold, she guards them safe. She is not a gambler, thief, or drinker. She does not waste money
- Anuruddha Sutta
She is a skillful and diligent worker who helps her husband in his domestic works such as sewing wool or cotton. She is diligent and helps her husband’s with her skills.

Of her husband’s slaves, servants or workers, she knows whose work has been done or yet to be done
- Anuruddha Sutta
The sea is not satisfied with all rivers, nor the fire with fuel, nor a king with his kingdom, nor a fool with sins, nor a woman with three things, intercourse, adornment and child-bearing, nor a brahmin with sacred texts, nor a sage with ecstatic meditation, nor a sekha with honour, nor one free from desire with penance, nor the energetic man with energy, nor the talker with talk, nor the politic man with the council, nor the believer with serving the church, nor the liberal man with giving away, nor the learned with hearing the law, nor the four congregations with seeing the Buddha.
- Sattubhasta Jataka

On good and bad women
Women who very clever are or very fair to view,
And such as many men admire—all these one should eschew:
A neighbour’s wife and one that seeks a man of wealth for mate,
Such kind of women, five in all, no man should cultivate.
- Kunala Jataka
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by Sam Vara »

These might also trigger misogynists. The trick is to have a good trigger-guard and to keep one's safety-catch on, whichever way one's weapon is pointing.
budo

Post by budo »

Whene’er with due reflection they look round and see their way
To captivate some man of wealth and make of him their prey,
Such simpletons with words so soft and smooth they captive lead,
E’en as Cambodian groom with herbs will catch the fiercest steed.
Poor fickle creatures women are, ungrateful, treacherous they,
No man if not possessed would deign to credit aught they say.
Little reck they of duty’s call or plea of gratitude,
Insensible to parents’ love and ties of brotherhood,
Transgressing every law of right, they play a shameless part,
In all their acts obedient to the wish of their own heart.
How often is a woman’s mind like shifty monkey’s found,
Or like the shade cast by a tree on height or depth around,
How changeful too the purpose lodged within a woman’s breast,
Like tire of wheel revolving swift without a pause or rest.
- Kunala Jataka

On being born a hermaphrodite and a woman

I too remember seven births which I have experienced, and when I go from my present life I shall yet pass through seven future ones.

My seventh former birth, O king, was as the son of a smith in the city Rajagaha in Magadha. I had an evil companion and I committed much evil; we went about corrupting other men’s wives as if we had been immortal. Those actions remained laid up like fire covered with ashes.
By the effect of other actions I was born in the land of Vamsa in a merchant’s family in Kosambi, great and prosperous and wealthy: I was an only son, continually fostered and honoured. There I followed a friend who was devoted to good works, wise and full of sacred learning, and he grounded me in what was good. I fasted through many a fourteenth and fifteenth night; and that action remained laid up like a treasure in water.

But the fruit of the evil deeds which I had done in Magadha came round to me at last like a noxious poison. I passed from thence for a long time, O king, into the Roruva hell, I endured the effects of my own works; when I remember it grieves me still.

When I passed from that birth I was born in a family among the Vajji people but I was neither man nor woman, for it is a very hard thing to attain the being born as a man;—this was the fatal consequence of my going after other men’s wives

Next, O king, I was born in the Nandana wood,—a nymph of a lovely complexion in the heaven of the Thirty-three, dressed in garments and ornaments of various hues and wearing jewelled earrings, skilled in dance and song, an attendant in Sakka’s court. While I stayed there I remembered all these births and also the seven future births which I shall experience when I go from hence. The good which I did in Kosambi has come round in its turn, and when I pass from this birth I shall be born only among gods or men.

For seven births, O king, I shall be honoured and worshipped, but till the sixth is past I shall not be free from my female sex.

-Mahanaradakassapa Jataka,
budo

Post by budo »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:56 pm These might also trigger misogynists. The trick is to have a good trigger-guard and to keep one's safety-catch on, whichever way one's weapon is pointing.
Ananda approves though (don't know if it's the same Ananda we know of)
[447] When he had thus spoken the people applauded the Great Being, crying, "Bravo, well said!" and after telling of the faults of women in these instances he held his peace. On hearing him Ānanda, the vulture king, said, "My friend, Kuṇāla, I too by my own powers of knowledge will tell of women's faults," and he began to speak of them. The Blessed One by way of illustration said: "Then, verily, Ānanda, the vulture king, marking the beginning, middle and end of what the bird Kuṇāla had to say, at this time uttered these stanzas:

[448]
Although a man with all this world contains of golden gear
Should her endow of womenkind his heart may count most dear,
Yet, if occasion serves, she will dishonour him withal—
Beware lest thou into the hands of such vile wretches fall.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/j5/j5029.htm
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

budo

How do you view and take those passages?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
ChooChoo

Post by ChooChoo »

This dream too will not have its fulfillment until those future days of which I have already spoken, when the world is declining. At that time men’s passions will be so strong that husbands will be thoroughly infatuated with their childish wives. Men will lose all judgment and self-respect. Being completely smitten, they will place their infantile wives in charge of everything — servants, livestock, granaries, gold and silver, everything in the house. Should the over-fond husband presume to ask for some money, or for a favorite robe, he will be told to mind his own business, and not to be so inquisitive about property in her house. These abusive young wives will exercise their power over their husbands as if the men were slaves
LOL Even in the time of the Buddha dudes were getting whipped. :rofl:
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Oh my! That's so f#€d up. The Jatakas really are crazy. :shock:
Fortunately I don't include the Jatakas as the authentic teachings of the Buddha, so I can happily ignore them. :meditate:
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

budo wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:49 pm Jataka
:roll:
Sam Vara wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:56 pm misogynists
Non-Buddhist SJW adhammic identitarian criterion.
clw_uk wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:24 pmHow do you view and take those passages?
Your beloved guru who you trust named Bhikkhu Buddhadasa probably viewed them as follows:
Nowadays, we educate the girls to refuse being women
and mothers, and the boys to be unable as men and fathers. The
modern education causes men and women to compete for each
other’s work under the banner of human rights, so that everybody
ends up sexless or neutered. Among married couples, there are the
most ridiculous arguments over who will be the elephant’s front
legs [leader] and who the hind legs [pusher]. This problem did
not exist among our ancestors who ate the single bowl of sauce.
They left matters in accordance with idappaccayatā, the law of
interdependent conditionality; each family could agree on who
was most suitable to play which role.

We must have the kind of education that does not lead
to men and women taking work from each other. Let women
have the livelihood of mothers and men the livelihood of fathers.
The father takes on the burden of providing for the family so
that the mother does not have to work outside the home. If she
has some income generating work, she does it at home. This
enables her to take care of the children fully, bringing them up
to be good human beings and good citizens who will not bring
tears to their parents’ eyes. The world, then, will have peace
because its citizenry is fit to live peacefully. The children will
be brought up correctly, so that both the boys and the girls are
unselfish. There will be no sexually stimulating and provocative
activities, such as the sexually oriented beauty contests that
encourage shamelessness among both contestants and spectators
even in primary schools. Such activities represent the worst kind
of selfishness, for they erode morality and train young people to
become slaves of defilement, thus becoming a menace to society
and harming themselves in the process.

http://www.bia.or.th/en/index.php/teach ... s-problems
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

DooDoot wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:48 pm
budo wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:49 pm Jataka
:roll:
Sam Vara wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:56 pm misogynists
Non-Buddhist SJW adhammic identitarian criterion.
clw_uk wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:24 pmHow do you view and take those passages?
Your beloved guru who you trust named Bhikkhu Buddhadasa probably viewed them as follows:
Nowadays, we educate the girls to refuse being women
and mothers, and the boys to be unable as men and fathers. The
modern education causes men and women to compete for each
other’s work under the banner of human rights, so that everybody
ends up sexless or neutered. Among married couples, there are the
most ridiculous arguments over who will be the elephant’s front
legs [leader] and who the hind legs [pusher]. This problem did
not exist among our ancestors who ate the single bowl of sauce.
They left matters in accordance with idappaccayatā, the law of
was most suitable to play which role.

We must have the kind of education that does not lead
to men and women taking work from each other. Let women
have the livelihood of mothers and men the livelihood of fathers.
The father takes on the burden of providing for the family so
that the mother does not have to work outside the home. If she
has some income generating work, she does it at home. This
enables her to take care of the children fully, bringing them up
to be good human beings and good citizens who will not bring
tears to their parents’ eyes. The world, then, will have peace
because its citizenry is fit to live peacefully. The children will
be brought up correctly, so that both the boys and the girls are
unselfish. There will be no sexually stimulating and provocative
activities, such as the sexually oriented beauty contests that
encourage shamelessness among both contestants and spectators
even in primary schools. Such activities represent the worst kind
of selfishness, for they erode morality and train young people to
become slaves of defilement, thus becoming a menace to society
and harming themselves in the process.

http://www.bia.or.th/en/index.php/teach ... s-problems

Let people be free and you will find that quite naturally most fall into the traditional family set up if the relationships last (hence the gender pay gap), but with the added bonus that those who do not wish to fit the standard model do not have to. I think he kind of agreed with me here:

"They left matters in accordance with idappaccayatā, the law of
was most suitable to play which role."

Personally I don't see an issue with either set up, if the mother stays at home or if the dad does or if both work. I don't think its a good thing to teach that girls have to be one way and boys another in terms of employment. That is for the individual to decide.
such as the sexually oriented beauty contests
Yeah those are pretty awful.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

clw_uk wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:04 am I think he kind of agreed with me here:

Unlikely. The impression is you cherry-picked to most vague statement; which you misconstrued. Buddhadasa said: "They left matters in accordance with idappaccayatā" but you seem to be saying "idappaccayatā" is your personal opinion.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

DooDoot wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:27 am
clw_uk wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:04 am I think he kind of agreed with me here:

Unlikely. The impression is you cherry-picked to most vague statement; which you misconstrued. Buddhadasa said: "They left matters in accordance with idappaccayatā" but you seem to be saying "idappaccayatā" is your personal opinion.

“I think” usually means not sure, at least over here it does. I was looking at the last part of the sentence more than anything else there. To be honest I don’t care that much either way in relation to the passage.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

clw_uk wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:45 am“I think” usually means not sure, at least over here it does. I was looking at the last part of the sentence more than anything else there. To be honest I don’t care that much either way in relation to the passage.
Buddhadasa's comment was about the Thai "ancestors" thus appears "conservative" & related to Thai culture (where women actually have strong income earning & business roles but not at the expense of the children). This said, the translator was a SJW and I recall soon after this booklet was published in English, it was removed from circulation due to complaints by the Western Feminists the translator would grovel to.
budo wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:49 pm On not being a woman
A man who desires to keep being male from birth to birth, let him avoid another’s man wife as a man with washed feet the mire.
A woman who desires to become male from birth to birth, let her worship her husband like he is the king of heaven.
- Mahanaradakassapa Jataka
The above sounds illogical to me because my recollection from my boyhood was most of the mothers were quite morally strict (until they succumbed to the political correctness of the religion of Hollywood TV; which normalised adultery & promiscuity). My mother was far more strict than my father. Since natural unbrainwashed mothers appear to have an exceptional care-giving quality, it sounds illogical they would be women today due to performing evil past kamma in past lives. The above Jataka sounds like the illogicality of Jewish religion, where the "creator god" (which is obviously "female") is portrayed as "male"; were woman (Eve) was born from man (Adam) rather than man (Adam) born from woman (Eve). Its sound naturally illogical that women born to bear & nurture children would be correlated with adultery. :roll:

budo

Post by budo »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:52 pm Oh my! That's so f#€d up. The Jatakas really are crazy. :shock:
Fortunately I don't include the Jatakas as the authentic teachings of the Buddha, so I can happily ignore them. :meditate:
From AN 5.73
"Then there is the case where a monk studies the Dhamma: dialogues, narratives of mixed prose and verse, explanations, verses, spontaneous exclamations, quotations, birth stories, amazing events, question & answer sessions. He doesn't spend the day in Dhamma-study. He doesn't neglect seclusion. He commits himself to internal tranquillity of awareness. This is called a monk who dwells in the Dhamma.
suttaṃ, geyyaṃ, veyyākaraṇaṃ, gāthaṃ, udānaṃ, itivuttakaṃ, jātakaṃ, abbhutadhammaṃ, vedallaṃ
Bhikkhu Analayo has an article about these 9 angas and he's trying to figure out which ones are authentic by comparing them to chinese agamas.

https://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg ... a-anga.pdf

But until that research is conducted there's no reason to assume any of these are not authentic.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

budo wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:03 am From AN 5.73
Since the Jataka are 100s of years after the Buddha, either the above is a later addition or something else is meant by "jataka".
budo wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:03 amBhikkhu Analayo has an article about these 9 angas and he's trying to figure out which ones are authentic by comparing them to chinese agamas.
Agama are even more belated.
Last edited by DooDoot on Mon May 20, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

budo

Post by budo »

DooDoot wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:15 am
budo wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:03 am From AN 5.73
Since the Jataka are 100s of years after the Buddha, either the above is a later addition or something else is meant by "jataka".
Read the pdf, he goes into that.