CBD Oil

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Digity

CBD Oil

Post by Digity »

What are your thoughts on CBD oil? Do you think taking it violates any precepts. Apparently it does not get you high like THC. It’s a relaxant. I’m curious to try it but not sure if it’s appropriate for a Buddhist.
JamesTheGiant

Re: CBD Oil

Post by JamesTheGiant »

If it doesn't lead to heedlessness, like the precept says, then it should be ok.
It really doesn't make you high? Interesting.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Even though it is a relaxant rather than being psychoactive, you night also want to check on whether it is habit-forming. You don't want to find that you become dependent upon it for feeling relaxed.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

no, it's not against the precept
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Until there is some standardized test for products containing cbd, anyone keeping the precepts should probably be wary of cbd. Much of it is admixed with THC (psychoactive substance in marijuana). Sometimes, substantial amounts. If they legalize cannabinoids, then one benefit will be that people will know what they are buying.
Keith

Post by Keith »

In the UK, it's the latest snake oil. Its fans claim it can cure anything, from fatigue, to impotence, to high blood pressure, to Alzheimer's, to epilepsy... you name it, there are claims this 'wonder drug' can cure it. Now available everywhere that nicotine-infused products are available (probably a warning sign, I reckon).

I don't think it can make a person more mindful. I don't think it can make a person more compassionate. I think I'll pass.
Digity

Post by Digity »

Keith wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:03 pm In the UK, it's the latest snake oil. Its fans claim it can cure anything, from fatigue, to impotence, to high blood pressure, to Alzheimer's, to epilepsy... you name it, there are claims this 'wonder drug' can cure it. Now available everywhere that nicotine-infused products are available (probably a warning sign, I reckon).

I don't think it can make a person more mindful. I don't think it can make a person more compassionate. I think I'll pass.
Yeah, it does seem like the latest “trendy” item. I think it’s just popular right now...being seeing a lot of talk about it. That’s why I asked but doubt I’ll try it.
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

Keith wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:03 pm In the UK, it's the latest snake oil. Its fans claim it can cure anything, from fatigue, to impotence, to high blood pressure, to Alzheimer's, to epilepsy... you name it, there are claims this 'wonder drug' can cure it. Now available everywhere that nicotine-infused products are available (probably a warning sign, I reckon).

Its quite new trend dating back to China more than 5000 years ago. These medicine have been in use for a long time, the colonials criminalised it all.

Nothing wrong with it, so many people have had great benefits from it in so many areas, and do not have to rely on modern synthetic chemicals.

They are natural medicines, even if we was to say there was some bloke called the buddha who was walking round india seeking enlightenment there would have been a very strong chance he took ganja or bang and smoked a few chillums with the babas, where in those times it would have been normal and seen as a way to open consciousness. But CBD is not that, its no psycho active, it helps people with pain.

Alternatively, one could smoke cigarettes, drink coffee and sit contemplating pain in the knee's, lower back, thoughts that bother me for a few hours a day and talk about who said what and in what way.

In Hsuan Tsang accounts in ihs travels to many sangha's and Nalanda he speaks of the Buddhist bikkhus knowing all sorts of herbs and medicines and were strict followers of Ayurveda.
AmirHarvey

Post by AmirHarvey »

Hey there. I saw your post about CBD oil and wanted to share my thoughts, even though the post is a bit old. IMO, it ultimately depends on your personal beliefs and practices. Some argue that using natural substances for medicinal purposes is in line with the Buddhist principle of compassion and reducing suffering. However, it's always a good idea to check with your spiritual leader or teacher before trying any new supplement.