ordination best place

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
confusedlayman

ordination best place

Post by confusedlayman »

Im indian citizen and if i want to ordain except india, which is best place to go if i understand only tamil or english.

Srilanka or japan or tibet or thailand or australia. i dont want to ordain in india or UK or US or canada.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: ordination best place

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you're a Tamil, then ordaining in Sri Lanka would not be a wise choice. Thailand or Burma would be better.

The choice depends on which meditation school you feel comfortable with: If Mahāsi method, then Burma would be the first choice, if you can get a long-term visa. There are also branch monasteries in Thailand or Malaysia.

If you like the Ajahn Chah forest tradition, then Thailand would be the first choice.

If you like Goenkaji's meditation method, there is no ordination option, though some Indian monks probably follow that method.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:32 am If you're a Tamil, then ordaining in Sri Lanka would not be a wise choice. Thailand or Burma would be better.

The choice depends on which meditation school you feel comfortable with: If Mahāsi method, then Burma would be the first choice, if you can get a long-term visa. There are also branch monasteries in Thailand or Malaysia.

If you like the Ajahn Chah forest tradition, then Thailand would be the first choice.

If you like Goenkaji's meditation method, there is no ordination option, though some Indian monks probably follow that method.
I want to practise like early buddhas disciples. both jhana, vipasanna and i need master who have path knowledge and can help me with some pitfalls on the way.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 amI want to practise like early buddhas disciples. both jhana, vipasanna
Generally, individuals have done many meditation retreats before they ordain.
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 ami need master who have path knowledge
Many Buddhists have path knowledge, similar to the knowledge in the suttas.
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 amand can help me with some pitfalls on the way.
Recent posts on this forum embracing false ideas about 'non-perception' & Mahaya non-conceptualisation, rejecting the Noble Eightfold Path, rejecting Nibbana & dismissing the suttas are already pitfalls. And one is not even a monk yet.

Its probably best to do some Goenka or other retreats in India first; to learn Buddhism is not some instant gratification undertaking similar to playing video games. Buddhism is hard work & there are no shortcuts or cheap tricks. Doing some meditation retreats will make you familiar with the real reality of meditation, the reality of the defilements (kilesa) & the Buddhist Path.

Best wishes
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

If you're serious about ordaining you can message me directly.

Being serious means having your bags packed and being ready to go.

Anyway. India is in lockdown. As are most other countries.

Good luck on your path.

People who want to ordain. They ordain.

People who don't, don't.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Chanh Dao wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:35 pm If you're serious about ordaining you can message me directly.

Good luck on your path.

People who don't, don't.
Planning in few years not immediste
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:55 pm
Chanh Dao wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:35 pm If you're serious about ordaining you can message me directly.

Good luck on your path.

People who don't, don't.

So in the meantime participate in your local Sangha. Maha Bodhi is in India. I also have personal friends in India that are apart of the Buddhist Sangha. If you have sincere interest to get involved and practice with them and learn you can message me privately and we can discuss it.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Chanh Dao wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:27 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:55 pm

Good luck on your path.

People who don't, don't.

So in the meantime participate in your local Sangha. Maha Bodhi is in India. I also have personal friends in India that are apart of the Buddhist Sangha. If you have sincere interest to get involved and practice with them and learn you can message me privately and we can discuss it.
it is in north india and im in south near sri lanka. for me sri lanka near than north but sri lanka needs visa.... anyways ill try to go i never been to monestry or seen monks only 2 or 3 times.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:32 am If you like Goenkaji's meditation method, there is no ordination option, though some Indian monks probably follow that method.
Hello Bhikhu Pesala,

Would you be able to recommend any monasteries or monks who mainly practise Goenkaji's method, where I can ordain? I have been practising seriously in this tradition for several years and it resonates with me.

Much metta!