The Buddha spoke Pāli

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
cappuccino

Re: The Buddha spoke Pāli

Post by cappuccino »

Ceisiwr wrote: How are you not an Advaita Vedantin?
:candle:
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:39 am
sentinel wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:34 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:25 am Buddha grew up in a non-Vedic land. I doubt he would have learnt the Vedas.
DN13

13.‘Well then, Vaseṭṭha, what about the early sages of those Brahmins learned in the Three Vedas, the makers of the mantras, the expounders of the mantras, whose ancient verses are chanted, pronounced and collected by the Brahmins of today, and sung and spoken about — such as Atthaka, Vāmaka, Vāmadeva, Vessāmitta, Yamataggi, Angirasa, Bhāradvāja, Vāsettha, Kassapa, Bhagu - did they ever say: “We know and see when, how and where Brahmā appears”?’ ‘No, Reverend Gotama.’

14.‘So, Vāseṭṭha, not one of these Brahmins learned in the Three Vedas has seen Brahmā face to face, nor has one of their teachers, or teacher’s teachers, nor even the ancestor seven generations back of one of their teachers. Nor could any of the early sages say: “We know and see when, how and where Brahmā appears.” So what these Brahmins learned in the Three Vedas are saying is: “We teach this path to union with Brahmā that we do not know or see, this is the only straight path...leading to union with Brahmā.” What do you think, Vāseṭṭha? Such being the case, does not what these Brahmins declare turn out to be ill-founded?’ ‘Yes indeed, Reverend Gotama.’

--DN 13
That doesn’t show that he was raised in a Vedic culture. The Sakyans along with Magadha were classed as foreign lands by the Vedic texts. Whilst some Brahmins did live there Greater Magadha was a distinct culture which the Vedic culture looked down upon, despite absorbing some of their ideas into the Upanishads such as kamma and rebirth. Have a read of “Greater Magadha” by Johannes Bronkhorst. He points out how the Buddha was very likely not raised in a Vedic society and could possibly have had little knowledge of the Vedas outside of what was common knowledge at the time. He also argues he might not have even been aware of the Upanishads at all.

http://www.ahandfulofleaves.org/documen ... khorst.pdf
buddha could read brahmin mind and know his full mind memory content..
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Gwi II

Post by Gwi II »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:37 pm Greetings everyone,

I’ve just bought Richard Gombrich’s “Buddhism and Pali” where he argues that the Buddha spoke Pali. Has anyone else read this book? Any thoughts on it and it’s claims? Did the Blessed One speak Pali?

Metta

:)
The Buddho used Pāḷi language with any interlocutor.
Even if other people don't understand Pāḷi language,
it's as if there is "google translate". The Buddho spoke
Pāḷi language (the sacred language of buddhists).

It is said in: The Great Chronicle of Buddhas.
:anjali:
Attachments
tmp-cam-9065123330668855649.jpg
Last edited by Gwi II on Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwi: "There are only-two Sakaṽādins:
Theraṽādå&Ṽibhajjaṽādå, the rest are
nonsakaṽādins!"
ssasny

Post by ssasny »

I believe somewhere in the scriptures it says that if a person were not to be exposed to any language they would naturally speak Pali. 😀