Did the Buddha Ever Visit Sri Lanka?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
lostitude

Re: Did the Buddha Ever Visit Sri Lanka?

Post by lostitude »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:39 am
lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 am
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:32 am The Buddha talks exhaustively about supranormal powers. I bet out of 10 suttas in which he talks about jhānas, in 7 he talks about supranormal powers (when there is an opening).
I don't understand this questioning. If we start to doubt this petty thing, why not doubting rebirth, kamma, the whole Canon?
Because the rest doesn’t violate the laws of physics in such a blatant way, and because flying around is a very common motif in legends, myths and bedtime stories.
All supranormal powers violate the laws of physics in a blatant way, my friend. :lol:
I was talking about kamma and rebirth as mentioned by yourself, which don’t violate the laws of physics in a blatant way, unlike flying.
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

5. "Sariputta, this misguided man Sunakkhatta...

6. "And he will never infer of me according to Dhamma: 'That Blessed One enjoys the various kinds of supernormal power: having been one, he becomes many; having been many, he becomes one; he appears and vanishes; he goes unhindered through a wall, through an enclosure, through a mountain, as though through space; he dives in and out of the earth as though it were water; he walks on water without sinking as though it were earth; seated cross-legged, he travels in space like a bird; with his hand he touches and strokes the moon and sun so powerful and mighty; he wields bodily mastery even as far as the Brahma-world.'
Well he could definitely do that in his mind... claiming that this happened in this physical world just sounds too much like a fairy tale added much later, as the Buddha’s legend grew in fame and religious reverence.
Last edited by lostitude on Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:58 am
lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 am Because the rest doesn’t violate the laws of physics in such a blatant way, and because flying around is a very common motif in legends, myths and bedtime stories.
All supranormal powers violate the laws of physics in a blatant way, my friend. :lol:
I was talking about kamma and rebirth as mentioned by yourself, which don’t violate the laws of physics in a blatant way, unlike flying.
Why not? Is consciousness part of the laws of physics? Why can I violate the laws of physics in my thinking?
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:01 am
lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:58 am

Why not? Is consciousness part of the laws of physics? Why can I violate the laws of physics in my thinking?
Because you can do whatever you want with your imagination... and it will never be more than that: imagination.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

This is just vicikicchā, friend.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:01 am
5. "Sariputta, this misguided man Sunakkhatta...

6. "And he will never infer of me according to Dhamma: 'That Blessed One enjoys the various kinds of supernormal power: having been one, he becomes many; having been many, he becomes one; he appears and vanishes; he goes unhindered through a wall, through an enclosure, through a mountain, as though through space; he dives in and out of the earth as though it were water; he walks on water without sinking as though it were earth; seated cross-legged, he travels in space like a bird; with his hand he touches and strokes the moon and sun so powerful and mighty; he wields bodily mastery even as far as the Brahma-world.'
Well he could definitely do that in his mind... claiming that this happened in this physical world just sounds too much like a fairy tale added much later, as the Buddha’s legend grew in fame and religious reverence.
r u accusing buddha that he is day dreaming and calling it as physicic phenomena? for day dreaming u dont need 4th jhana and visudhimagga never would have said 1 in 1000000000 only can acheive that feat..
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:05 am This is just vicikicchā, friend.
No, it’s called being reasonable.
with his hand he touches and strokes the moon and sun so powerful and mighty
"Stroking the sun" does not even mean anything when you stop and think about it for a second. Clearly this is either later addition, or later distortion.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:21 am
"Stroking the sun" does not even mean anything when you stop and think about it for a second. Clearly this is either later addition, or later distortion.
if he stroke sun, the sun will be changed or destroyed and all life come to end. a blessed one even though he can stroke sun will not do it as it leads to destruction of life.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Oh, ok, never mind. If it brings you happiness and peace, then do as you please.
But I strongly believe it's an aspect of vicikicchā.

:anjali:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:31 am
if he stroke sun, the sun will be changed or destroyed and all life come to end. a blessed one even though he can stroke sun will not do it as it leads to destruction of life.
You’re really confirming my point about ditching reason in favor of more stimulating and more appealing fantasies. Literally a flight of fantasy here.
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:35 am But I strongly believe it's an aspect of vicikicchā.
From what I’m reading about vicikicchā, it seems to be a completely unrelated notion. I don’t see how waivering about the four noble truths has anything to do with rejecting traditional legend and human distortions.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Therein what is doubt? One is puzzled, doubts in the Teacher; one is puzzled, doubts in the Teaching; one is puzzled, doubts in the Order; one is puzzled, doubts in the precepts; one is puzzled, doubts in the ultimate beginning (of beings); one is puzzled, doubts in the ultimate end (of beings); one is puzzled, doubts in both the ultimate beginning and the ultimate end (of beings); one is puzzled, doubts in specific causality and dependently originated dhammas; that which is similar, puzzlement, being puzzled, state of being puzzled, rigidity of consciousness, mental scarifying. This is called doubt.
https://suttacentral.net/vb17/en/thittila

And of course you'll say this is latter addition or something.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:49 am
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:35 am But I strongly believe it's an aspect of vicikicchā.
From what I’m reading about vicikicchā, it seems to be a completely unrelated notion. I don’t see how waivering about the four noble truths has anything to do with rejecting traditional legend and human distortions.
Whether Lord budda physically visited Sri Lanka or not we are happy that Sri Lanka is considered the storage of Theravada Buddas darma, and we are mostly benefited today.
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:59 am
Therein what is doubt? One is puzzled, doubts in the Teacher; one is puzzled, doubts in the Teaching; one is puzzled, doubts in the Order;

Doubting the Teacher and doubting the stories possibly made up about him are two different things. I left my former religion in large part because of this very confusion made by so many believers. It seems that after a large amount of time spent reading the suttas, some people end up forgetting that these teachings are 2500+ years old, and that it is almost impossible that no distortion or fabrication hasn’t crept into them.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:16 am
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:59 am
Therein what is doubt? One is puzzled, doubts in the Teacher; one is puzzled, doubts in the Teaching; one is puzzled, doubts in the Order;

Doubting the Teacher and doubting the stories possibly made up about him are two different things. I left my former religion in large part because of this very confusion made by so many believers. It seems that after a large amount of time spent reading the suttas, some people end up forgetting that these teachings are 2500+ years old, and that it is almost impossible that no distortion or fabrication hasn’t crept into them.
You didn't understand. You are doubting the Buddha, the Dhamma, & the Saṅgha. :lol:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17