Ok buddhism is true but my reaction is depression

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

When realising the goodness (or truth) of self realisation and turn towards the truth, Dhamma, sometimes what one becomes aware of is the depression one has been running away from or suppressing for a long time.

This has to be acknowledged and the tendencies to aversion in relation to unpleasant feelings abandoned. * This is the training. One practices and over time becomes proficient and in time the depression lifts and serenity and happiness becomes a norm. It takes time. The Buddha often stressed the importance of patience.

*likewise the tendency for thirst in relation to pleasant feelings and the tendency to ignorance in relation to neutral feelings, these tendencies are all to be abandoned.
cappuccino

Re: Ok buddhism is true but my reaction is depression

Post by cappuccino »

MrLearner wrote: but this makes me depressed and not energetic to find liberation.
you already found liberation, at least the way to it

whereas most people haven't found the way
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

MrLearner wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 am Hello everyone,
So I have been questioning buddhism for a while now and come to realise infact it is the truth. However my reaction is depression. I feel like this worldly things are useless but this makes me depressed and not energetic to find liberation . I hope you all understand my question. I mean after realising buddhism is true i feel there are 2 paths.

1. Do meditation and find liberation
2. Be really depressed, ask yourself what is the point of life when it is suffering,why even try anything? Funny thing is i have wisdom to understand everything is temporary but this has made me depressed rather thab trying to find liberation.

I have fallen to path 2 unfortunately. How do I overcome path 2 and go to path 1. Thank you.
Most people would try and find a way out rather than stay depressed.
Maybe try to put yourself in the shoes of the Buddha before he found liberation.
"Monks, there are these two searches: ignoble search & noble search. And what is ignoble search? There is the case where a person, being subject himself to birth, seeks [happiness in] what is likewise subject to birth. Being subject himself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, he seeks [happiness in] what is likewise subject to illness... death... sorrow... defilement.

"And what is the noble search? There is the case where a person, himself being subject to birth, seeing the drawbacks of birth, seeks the unborn, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding. Himself being subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeing the drawbacks of aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeks the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less, undefiled, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding. This is the noble search.

“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.” Man's Search for Meaning :Viktor E. Frankl
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

MrLearner wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:23 pm
1. Life is suffering
Does this mean there is absolutely no possible way to have a world without suffering. What if I was reborn into realms of devas, wouldn't their world be without suffering. Why would the gods want enlightenment when there world has no suffering. If deva world is also suffering, does that mean too much happiness also causes suffering? Sorry if this was a stupid question.
https://suttacentral.net/sn22.96/en/bodhi

https://suttacentral.net/sn22.85/en/bodhi

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
binocular

Post by binocular »

MrLearner wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 amSo I have been questioning buddhism for a while now and come to realise infact it is the truth.
So you have been "questioning buddhism for a while now and come to realise infact it is the truth"? That's peculiar ...
To question Buddhism for a while and based on that come to realize that it's the truth -- but then becoming depressed?
Something doesn't seem right in this.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
befriend

Post by befriend »

Buddhism is not just meditation there are 7 other factors that go into it. Happiness is the path. He who speaks or acts with a pure mind happiness follows him like a cart following an ox. I think your focused on the second universal characteristic. Dukkha. How can 8 fold path lead to depression? right view which is understanding every action has a feeling tone to it, generosity renunciation, loving friendliness, compassionate thinking, pleasant speech, 5 precepts, diligence In harmless job, preventing unwholesome states from arising letting go of unwholesome states that have arisen generating wholesome states of mind, developing those wholesome states of mind, and mindfulness which for me is just resting in the Buddho mind knowing mind, and jhana. There's so much activities to do that practicing all these in one day results in happiness from the inside out or well being.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

As others have indicated, clearly this reaction is based on grasping the teachings incorrectly. Even though the dhamma may involve upending some sacredly held (but wrong) views, the essential message of the Buddha is really quite empowering: we can make a difference, it is all up to us.
befriend

Post by befriend »

Unless your choosing to follow a uposatha day it still is not bad to play sports go kayaking, learn chess read or watch a sci fi movie or make love to a woman. Don't think you have to follow the 8 precepts as an Anagarika if your a lay person everyday if you don't feel inclined to do so.
befriend

Post by befriend »

I was stupid enough to think I could base an entire relationship off of my Dhamma practice, knowledge and insights this turned out bad and I have lost a few friends with my constant blabbering of impermanence and not self to people whom are no longer my friends because it's really not interesting for people to hear unless their interested. you need to have other things to talk about than Buddhism if you want to function in society unless all your friends are Buddhists I guess. That's my experience.
MrLearner

Post by MrLearner »

Thanks for all the replies.
perkele

Post by perkele »

binocular wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:54 pm
MrLearner wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 amSo I have been questioning buddhism for a while now and come to realise infact it is the truth.
So you have been "questioning buddhism for a while now and come to realise infact it is the truth"? That's peculiar ...
To question Buddhism for a while and based on that come to realize that it's the truth -- but then becoming depressed?
Something doesn't seem right in this.
Can the truth not be depressing?
(But I don't find the Buddha's teachings depressing, most of the time.)
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

MrLearner wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 am 1. Do meditation and find liberation
2. Be really depressed, ask yourself what is the point of life when it is suffering,why even try anything? Funny thing is i have wisdom to understand everything is temporary but this has made me depressed rather thab trying to find liberation.
This is why there are stories of the ultimate liberation of the good sekha ("sekha" = practitioner) if he but stays good (i.e. if he but stays on the proper path). Yes, it's intimidating, but the Buddha has given you a wish-fulfilling gem, if you but make the right wishes and live by them and do not forsake them. Wish for bodhi with the Buddha's wish-fulfilling gem, that threefold gem of Dhamma, Sangha, Buddha, and live by your wish, and then the sekha will be liberated and taste the nectar of freedom.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

There is the kind of 'depression' which is longing for release, it's akin to loathing work whilst looking forward to the retirement.

Then there is the kind of 'depression' which results in utter apathy due to hating work and not seeing any end to it.

In the Dhamma it should be closer to #1 and the point is to make the work enjoyable to the extent that it's possible.

There are painful and pleasant modes of practice but even those with a pleasant practice die so one shouldn't obsess about it one way or the other.

Either way, work is work, even if the work is relatively pleasant there are in general other things we would rather be doing, work needs to be done for the attainment of release.
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

There's a sutta exactly for this but i can not find it. A disciple asks why he isn't calm even he realized the desires are dangerous. The answer is that until he tastes the happiness of giving up, his mind will not calm.

OTOH, the depression is rooted in desire, your desire makes you feel depressed.
Please stop following me
MrLearner

Post by MrLearner »

whynotme wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:42 am There's a sutta exactly for this but i can not find it. A disciple asks why he isn't calm even he realized the desires are dangerous. The answer is that until he tastes the happiness of giving up, his mind will not calm.

OTOH, the depression is rooted in desire, your desire makes you feel depressed.
Nice comment. Thanks for the reply . I also think I read somewhere that people who are depressed are actually, not dissatisfied with life but actually the opposite and have too many desires in life. I didn't really understand that statement much at that point but I feel may be it is true. Can you elaborate on this point.