Ok buddhism is true but my reaction is depression

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
MrLearner

Ok buddhism is true but my reaction is depression

Post by MrLearner »

Hello everyone,
So I have been questioning buddhism for a while now and come to realise infact it is the truth. However my reaction is depression. I feel like this worldly things are useless but this makes me depressed and not energetic to find liberation . I hope you all understand my question. I mean after realising buddhism is true i feel there are 2 paths.

1. Do meditation and find liberation
2. Be really depressed, ask yourself what is the point of life when it is suffering,why even try anything? Funny thing is i have wisdom to understand everything is temporary but this has made me depressed rather thab trying to find liberation.

I have fallen to path 2 unfortunately. How do I overcome path 2 and go to path 1. Thank you.
rhinoceroshorn

Re: Ok buddhism is true but my reaction is depression

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

I think this happens when we stop at the first noble truth.
Sure, there is suffering. But there is also a way to stop it and a path to stop it. :toast:

Also:

Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

MrLearner wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 am Hello everyone,
So I have been questioning buddhism for a while now and come to realise infact it is the truth. However my reaction is depression. I feel like this worldly things are useless but this makes me depressed and not energetic to find liberation . I hope you all understand my question. I mean after realising buddhism is true i feel there are 2 paths.

2. Be really depressed, ask yourself what is the point of life when it is suffering,why even try anything? Funny thing is i have wisdom to understand everything is temporary but this has made me depressed rather thab trying to find liberation.

I have fallen to path 2 unfortunately. How do I overcome path 2 and go to path 1. Thank you.
Consider that life is not only suffering, but also has many opportunities for happiness and feeling good about yourself. For example, being generous, monitoring your behaviour, and cultivating happy thoughts about people make us feel good, and are also part of the path to liberation.

If you find some aspects of the teaching are depressing, then concentrate on those which are uplifting. The Dhamma is supposed to be " beautiful at the beginning, beautiful in the middle, and beautiful at the end".
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Yes. Good advice in the above post. Life is full of suffering but we must cultivate positive thoughts and do good deeds. This will make us relatively happy and have some peace of mind. Also practicing samatha is about abandoning thoughts. If you can make the mind peaceful and free of concepts you can find great happiness and joy.

Best wishes.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

You feel unhappy (depressed) because you have only read Buddhism but have not practiced it.
When you practice Sila and Samadhi you will be a very happy and energetic person.
Countries like Sri Lanka going back words because many people have learned Buddhism but not practicing it.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
nirodh27tre

Post by nirodh27tre »

Things are also pervaded by pleasures, they are not only suffering, says the Buddha. The problem is never with things, but the willingness to find delight in them while they are uncertain and not reliable. To have to attach and feed on them as the only option that you have to find happiness and relief.

I think that in your case, Thanissaro is a good read. Buddhism does not ask to renounce worldy things because those are useless and life is only suffering (the first noble truth only says that there is suffering and tells you how to overcome it), but is a trade-up, you renounce worldly things for better and more stable things like virtues, the pleasure of renunciation and concentration (jhanas) and ultimately for Nibbana, true happiness that the Buddha says that is possible.

So cheer up, be the best friend of yourself and by all means do not renounce your ability to find pleasure because you will need it to progress on the path.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

MrLearner wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 am i have wisdom to understand everything is temporary
Hi,

You might be able to use this understanding to develop Metta for your self and all beings. This could give you the strength of heart to walk the path and also help others.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

SarathW wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 am You feel unhappy (depressed) because you have only read Buddhism but have not practiced it.
When you practice Sila and Samadhi you will be a very happy and energetic person.
Countries like Sri Lanka going back words because many people have learned Buddhism but not practicing it.
But there must still be many good and sincere practitioners in Sri Lanka, no?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

MrLearner wrote:2. Be really depressed, ask yourself what is the point of life when it is suffering,why even try anything? Funny thing is i have wisdom to understand everything is temporary but this has made me depressed rather thab trying to find liberation.
You meant you have the theoretical knowledge to see things as temporary, not wisdom. Cuz if you've attained true wisdom, you'd be the happiest man in the world. Check out Ven. Brahm's "Joy At Last To Know There Is No Happiness In The World"
MrLearner

Post by MrLearner »

Hey thanks for all the replies. I think before i reply to any i have to clarify the first noble truth

1. Life is suffering
Does this mean there is absolutely no possible way to have a world without suffering. What if I was reborn into realms of devas, wouldn't their world be without suffering. Why would the gods want enlightenment when there world has no suffering. If deva world is also suffering, does that mean too much happiness also causes suffering? Sorry if this was a stupid question.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

MrLearner wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:23 pm Hey thanks for all the replies. I think before i reply to any i have to clarify the first noble truth

1. Life is suffering
Does this mean there is absolutely no possible way to have a world without suffering. What if I was reborn into realms of devas, wouldn't their world be without suffering. Why would the gods want enlightenment when there world has no suffering. If deva world is also suffering, does that mean too much happiness also causes suffering? Sorry if this was a stupid question.
Their world would have superior pleasures, but the dukkha consists in the fact that the pleasures come to an end. Their good kamma runs out, and they die to be reborn elsewhere.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Your contemplation of suffering led you to reflect and evaluate you choices. For example, the contemplation of death reminds us that we have limited time here, hence the choices we make are of greater importance. Does getting depressed seem to you as a good choice to spend whatever time left to you in this life? Your choice, your contemplation.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

MrLearner wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 am what is the point of life when it is suffering
Contemplate "dukkha", not "suffering".
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

tamdrin wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:41 pm
SarathW wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 am You feel unhappy (depressed) because you have only read Buddhism but have not practiced it.
But there must still be many good and sincere practitioners in Sri Lanka, no?
Agree. But majority Buddhist do not follow the teaching in comparison to other religions such as Christianity or Islam.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

"All life is suffering" = wrong

"All unenlightened life is suffering" = correct

It's a gradual path, so with practice, as Sarath noted, there is less suffering.