What experiences Nirvana?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sa16en

What experiences Nirvana?

Post by sa16en »

What apprehends Nirvana, if consciousness and awareness are just aggregates. How can something be apprehended without sentience?
cappuccino

Re: What experiences Nirvana?

Post by cappuccino »

sa16en wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:33 pm What apprehends Nirvana, if consciousness and awareness are just aggregates. How can something be apprehended without sentience?
consciousness becomes unconditioned

not annihilated, not destroyed
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

cappuccino wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:59 pm
sa16en wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:33 pm What apprehends Nirvana, if consciousness and awareness are just aggregates. How can something be apprehended without sentience?
consciousness becomes unconditioned

not annihilated, not destroyed
This answer seems incorrect.
There is no Sutta support for your statement.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

The traditional explanation is that Nibbana is an external dhamma which is cognised at the mind base by consciousness.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

SarathW wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 pm This answer seems incorrect.
There is no Sutta support for your statement.
On Self, No Self, and Not-self

:candle:
Coaching
sa16en

Post by sa16en »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:03 pm
The traditional explanation is that Nibbana is an external dhamma which is cognised at the mind base by consciousness.
Apologies, I'm not well versed in Buddhist terminology and am not a big brain. What does external dhamma mean specifically and how is this philosophically justified? And how can Nibbana be 'cognised at the mind base by consciousness' when both mind and consciousness are aggregates?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The living person experiences the Nibbana, in the same way, a sick person experience comfort after he cured of his sickness.
After Parinibbana (death of an Arahant) there is no arising of five aggregate including consciousness.
There is not birth again.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

SarathW wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 pm After Parinibbana (death of an Arahant) there is no arising of five aggregate including consciousness.
this is No Self

see above link
Coaching
NuanceOfSuchness

Post by NuanceOfSuchness »

Nothing apprehends Nirvana. These are terms of language used as a conventional way to illustrate that an event has taken place. Language is funny like that. Language has too much solidity when trying to outline something that doesn't have an outline; it is designed to contain; it provides a perimeter to assist in the understanding of worldly forms. That is the function of language.

But of course, we can use ambiguous and spacious terms like suchness, consciousness and spirit and make the whole thing deliberately slippery in a Zen kind of manner.
sa16en

Post by sa16en »

SarathW wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 pm
The living person experiences the Nibbana, in the same way, a sick person experience comfort after he cured of his sickness.
After Parinibbana (death of an Arahant) there is no arising of five aggregate including consciousness.
So what experiences Parinibbana? Or are you suggesting annhilationism with extra steps?
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

NuanceOfSuchness wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:15 pm Nothing apprehends Nirvana.
one apprehends while alive

death is not annihilation

hence one apprehends while dead
Coaching
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

sa16en wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:10 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:03 pm
Apologies, I'm not well versed in Buddhist terminology and am not a big brain. What does external dhamma mean specifically and how is this philosophically justified? And how can Nibbana be 'cognised at the mind base by consciousness' when both mind and consciousness are aggregates?
As in Nibbana is an unconditioned element that is separate from mind and form. Why do you think Nibbana can’t be cognised by consciousness? If you can’t become aware of it, how can anyone know of it? In other words, I don’t understand the basis of your aggregate objection?
NuanceOfSuchness

Post by NuanceOfSuchness »

cappuccino wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:16 pm
NuanceOfSuchness wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:15 pm Nothing apprehends Nirvana.
one apprehends while alive

death is not annihilation

hence one apprehends while dead
One apprehends only trinkets and baubles - the learned image of enlightenment from whence the tradition you choose to indoctrinate yourself henceforth.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

NuanceOfSuchness wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:21 pm One apprehends only trinkets and baubles
:shrug:
Coaching
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

sa16en wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:15 pm
So what experiences Parinibbana? Or are you suggesting annhilationism with extra steps?
Questions about final Nibbana are essentially unanswerable since it’s beyond all concepts and language. It’s not annihilationism since that involves an idea of a self, but no self exists. It’s not eternal heaven either:
Then Ven. Maha Kotthita went to Ven. Sariputta and, on arrival, exchanged courteous greetings with him. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there, he said to Ven. Sariputta, “With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media [vision, hearing, smell, taste, touch, & intellection] is it the case that there is anything else?”

[Sariputta:] “Don’t say that, my friend.”

[Maha Kotthita:] “With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media, is it the case that there is not anything else?”

[Maha Kotthita:] “…is it the case that there both is & is not anything else?”

[Maha Kotthita:] “…is it the case that there neither is nor is not anything else?”

[Maha Kotthita:] “Being asked if, with the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media, there is anything else, you say, ‘Don’t say that, my friend.’ Being asked if … there is not anything else … there both is & is not anything else … there neither is nor is not anything else, you say, ‘Don’t say that, my friend.’ Now, how is the meaning of your words to be understood?”

[Sariputta:] “The statement, ‘With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media [vision, hearing, smell, taste, touch, & intellection] is it the case that there is anything else?’ objectifies non-objectification. The statement, ‘… is it the case that there is not anything else … is it the case that there both is & is not anything else … is it the case that there neither is nor is not anything else?’ objectifies non-objectification. However far the six contact-media go, that is how far objectification goes. However far objectification goes, that is how far the six contact media go. With the remainderless fading & stopping of the six contact-media, there comes to be the stopping, the allaying of objectification.
https://suttacentral.net/an4.173/en/thanissaro