I cant lose weight. How can I lose weight?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
JC938

I cant lose weight. How can I lose weight?

Post by JC938 »

Hi,

I weight 84 kg. I want to weight 60 kg. Got to lose 24 kg.

I have diet plan. Few days ago, I successfully followed my diet for 5 days straight. But now I keep breaking diet. I see tasty food and I couldnt control. How do I control.

Thanks.
confusedlayman

Re: I cant lose weight. How can I lose weight?

Post by confusedlayman »

JC938 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:13 am Hi,

I have diet plan. Few days ago, I successfully followed my diet for 5 days straight. But now I keep breaking diet. I see tasty food and I couldnt control. How do I control.

Thanks.
please do abhusa on food... or see drawbacks of getting heart disease and getting human life terminated at short...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
JC938

Post by JC938 »

I need advice regarding how to control mind. How to control mind so that I don't eat. I think losing weight is all about controlling mind, my mind must not order body to eat and only eat what's allowed in the diet plan.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

JC938 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:57 am I need advice regarding how to control mind. How to control mind so that I don't eat. I think losing weight is all about controlling mind, my mind must not order body to eat and only eat what's allowed in the diet plan.
How much exercise are you getting?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
JC938

Post by JC938 »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:26 am
JC938 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:57 am I need advice regarding how to control mind. How to control mind so that I don't eat. I think losing weight is all about controlling mind, my mind must not order body to eat and only eat what's allowed in the diet plan.
I do some walking. But I want to focus on diet as I see result with it.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

JC938 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30 am
Keeping a health weight relies partly on input (diet) and partly on output (calories burned with exercise). Just saying.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Exercise is irrelevant. Focusing on exercise is like shoveling snow while it's still snowing. You need to stop the snow.

Eat enough fat and real food like liver. Animal fat makes you satiated, and you can't overeat it. Read the blog and scientific articles on https://paleomedicina.com/en - written by doctors who publish studies.

The biggest issue is sugar cravings, that requires 50% physical solution (eating enough fat), and 50% psychological solution (the dhamma).
Last edited by coconut on Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:13 am

Keeping a health weight relies partly on input (diet) and partly on output (calories burned with exercise). Just saying.
Spiny is right but it's easier to lose weight by restricting food than by taking exercise. See https://www.lifehack.org/347871/infogra ... these-food for examples.

As for restricting food, the easiest way I know is not to eat out - at all - and not to buy junk food when you're shopping for food. After you work through what is in your house, you only have healthy stuff to choose from. And you only need to control that binge impulse once or twice a week, when you're shopping for food.
Pro tip: do your food shopping just after you've eaten, not when you're hungry.

:coffee:
Kim
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Kim OHara wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:29 am
Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:13 am

Spiny is right but it's easier to lose weight by restricting food than by taking exercise. See https://www.lifehack.org/347871/infogra ... these-food for examples.

As for restricting food, the easiest way I know is not to eat out - at all - and not to buy junk food when you're shopping for food. After you work through what is in your house, you only have healthy stuff to choose from. And you only need to control that binge impulse once or twice a week, when you're shopping for food.
Pro tip: do your food shopping just after you've eaten, not when you're hungry.

:coffee:
Kim
Walking a long distance to a supermarket is a good strategy.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Cleared. αδόξαστος.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

OP, as you can already see, asking for health advise or weight advice on a internet forum is a bad idea and you will get bad advice. It is best to speak to a doctor or health care professional. Your weight may be entirely appropriate given your size or other considerations. Don't waste your time asking people who don't know you. :anjali:
Ionbuddy

Post by Ionbuddy »

Try perusing through this website. https://nutritionfacts.org/ All of his videos are based on actual scientific papers.

At the end of the day it's about controlling calories in/calories out. How easy it is to follow that depends on how well you adhere to the diet. You can lose weight on literally any diet, it's just a matter of adherence. Not all diets are conducive to health. Avoid cholesterol, saturated fat, trans fat, processed sugars, and excess sodium.

You already have a goal of getting to a certain weight. Now all you need is to flesh out when and how. I'd advise against losing more than a kilogram of weight per week.

Check out this website too. https://cronometer.com/ You can log all your foods you eat in a day. Just be aware that most people routinely underestimate the amount of calories they eat in a day and overestimate the amount of calories burned in exercise.

Also try to take up some weight training to help retain muscle while losing weight. Again, try to avoid cholesterol, saturated fat, trans fat, processed sugars, and excess sodium. Elite level athletes die of heart disease in their 50's because their other awful health habits. They all tend to take anabolic steroids as well, which is bad for heart health as well. Exercise is only one part of the equation.

Try different things, because there are many parts to this, but it can be done! Just don't give up!

:hug:
I still have defilements.
Ionbuddy

Post by Ionbuddy »

Ionbuddy wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:53 pm Try perusing through this website. https://nutritionfacts.org/ All of his videos are based on actual scientific papers.

At the end of the day it's about controlling calories in/calories out. How easy it is to follow that depends on how well you adhere to the diet. You can lose weight on literally any diet, it's just a matter of adherence. Not all diets are conducive to health. Avoid cholesterol, saturated fat, trans fat, processed sugars, and excess sodium.

You already have a goal of getting to a certain weight. Now all you need is to flesh out when and how. I'd advise against losing more than a kilogram of weight per week.

Check out this website too. https://cronometer.com/ You can log all your foods you eat in a day. Just be aware that most people routinely underestimate the amount of calories they eat in a day and overestimate the amount of calories burned in exercise.

Also try to take up some weight training to help retain muscle while losing weight. Again, try to avoid cholesterol, saturated fat, trans fat, processed sugars, and excess sodium. Elite level athletes die of heart disease in their 50's because their other awful health habits. They all tend to take anabolic steroids as well, which is bad for heart health as well. Exercise is only one part of the equation.

Ditch oil and butter, embrace nuts and seeds.

Try different things, because there are many parts to this, but it can be done! Just don't give up!

:hug:
I still have defilements.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Thanks.
Before you learn to restrain your desire for food and overeating, you may have to get skilled at other basic abstinence of bad behavior. How well do you follow the five precepts? How often are you in a situation where you may break them?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Thanks.
What is your height?

Anyway, stop eating sugar. Not more than 20g a day. This alone will easily make you lose 10-15 kg.
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?