Best Evidence for Afterlife - BICS ESSAY COMPETITION - $ 500,000 Prize

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Modus.Ponens

Re: Best Evidence for Afterlife - BICS ESSAY COMPETITION - $ 500,000 Prize

Post by Modus.Ponens »

SteRo wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:13 pm
Lucas Oliveira wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:58 pm
About BICS

The purpose of BICS is to raise awareness among the public and within the scientific community of the importance and relevance of such an investigation. BICS hopes to provide a public service by drawing increasing attention to, and encouraging research into, this fundamental and timeless topic. We are seeking hard evidence “beyond a reasonable doubt” that takes us beyond religion or philosophy and provides a body of knowledge to be brought widely into the public arena that could be unifying in its impact on human awareness and culture.
https://www.bigelowinstitute.org/
Now isn't that "hard evidence" that "BICS" has completely transcended any sense of reality. :rofl:
This kind of research is as important as the SETI program. Just because the scientific paradigm of materialism makes sense given what we know now doesn't mean that we won't find new things that dethrone the current paradigm. Given that people who try to do serious scientific study on such topics as parapsychology are laughed at and dismissed by most of the scientific community I think this initiative is very interesting and worthwhile.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Modus.Ponens wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:53 pm
Now isn't that "hard evidence" that "BICS" has completely transcended any sense of reality. :rofl:
This kind of research ...
:rofl:
Modus.Ponens wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:53 pm .. is as important as the SETI program.
So you think that search for extraterrestrial intelligence justifies affirmation of intraterestrial irrationality?
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

SteRo wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:01 pm
Modus.Ponens wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:53 pm

This kind of research ...
:rofl:
Modus.Ponens wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:53 pm .. is as important as the SETI program.
So you think that search for extraterrestrial intelligence justifies affirmation of intraterestrial irrationality?
You look just as ridiculous as the people who mock the possibility of there being intelligent life outside Earth. Besides, what both serious parapsychologists and serious skeptics like Michael Shermer do is scientific research. Negative results are still results. The important part is to follow scientific methodology strictly.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Modus.Ponens wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:34 pm Negative results are still results. The important part is to follow scientific methodology strictly.
Nothing against that. But applying scientific methodology "BICS"'s endeavour is revealed to be non-scientific (thus "irrational") from the outset.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

SteRo wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:53 pm
Modus.Ponens wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:34 pm Negative results are still results. The important part is to follow scientific methodology strictly.
Nothing against that. But applying scientific methodology "BICS"'s endeavour is revealed to be non-scientific (thus "irrational") from the outset.
Your objection is to using the scientific method, or to studying areas like this one? Those are two different things. If scientific research wasn't done on homeopathy more people would believe it works. Acupuncture is another example where scientific research shows it has a very limited value. I'm not only in favour of this kind of research. I'm in favour of having a SETI-like mentality when it comes to finding out things that do not fit the materialist paradigm. You can personally dismiss the belief in such things as irrational, but not the scientific research into these areas.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Modus.Ponens wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:43 pm
Your objection is to using the scientific method, or to studying areas like this one?
First there has to be a hypothesis based on already scientifically validated facts.
The "BICS"'s endeavour is not based on scientifically validated facts. It is a mere invocation to provide fantasies in written form.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

SteRo wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:08 pm
Modus.Ponens wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:43 pm

Your objection is to using the scientific method, or to studying areas like this one?
First there has to be a hypothesis based on already scientifically validated facts.
The "BICS"'s endeavour is not based on scientifically validated facts. It is a mere invocation to provide fantasies in written form.
Not at all. One counterexample to the paradigm is enough to destroy it. Of course the counterexample has to be independently reproducible under rigorous circumstances. But it would only take one counterexample to change the paradigm. What BICS seems to be doing is collecting the best available evidence (not proof, evidence) to point the way to proper rigorous research. A laudable goal.
chownah

Post by chownah »

chownah wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:05 am Do people think that offering such big money will encourage some people to make stuff up in order to get some cash? Could the big money be turning this contest into a creative writing contest?
chownah
Rules and Application

2. Essay Application Qualifications

Applicants must provide evidence that they have investigated the topic of Survival of Human Consciousness after Death for 5 years or more.

About BICS

BICS was founded in June 2020 by aerospace entrepreneur Robert T. Bigelow to support research into both the survival of human consciousness after physical death and, based on data from such studies, the nature of the afterlife. Robert Bigelow is the founder of Bigelow Aerospace. For decades he has also supported serious investigations into consciousness and manifestations of unusual phenomena that are not yet understood by science.

Despite intriguing evidence, the number of research groups and funding devoted to investigating the survival of human consciousness beyond death is shockingly small in the Western world. Even though all 7.8 billion humans on planet Earth will eventually die, very little high quality research is being conducted on perhaps the most important and fundamental question facing our species.

There are almost no significant conferences or symposia on this question which could appeal to scientists, academics and others with advanced training. This is partly because such research is not taken seriously by the current scientific paradigm. It is probably time to end this close-minded approach. We at BICS believe that the only way to do so is to appeal to qualified professionals who have the power to create change.

The purpose of BICS is to raise awareness among the public and within the scientific community of the importance and relevance of such an investigation. BICS hopes to provide a public service by drawing increasing attention to, and encouraging research into, this fundamental and timeless topic. We are seeking hard evidence “beyond a reasonable doubt” that takes us beyond religion or philosophy and provides a body of knowledge to be brought widely into the public arena that could be unifying in its impact on human awareness and culture.

Purpose of BICS Essay Competition

The purpose of the BICS essay awards is to raise the public awareness for the Survival of Human Consciousness topic and to stimulate research. The goal of the essay contest is to award contestants for writing papers that summarize the best evidence available for the survival of human consciousness after permanent bodily death.

:namaste:
You haven't answered my question....it seems clear that whenever there is big prize money that there will be some people who will attempt deceit to get it.
chownah
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

chownah wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:40 am You haven't answered my question....it seems clear that whenever there is big prize money that there will be some people who will attempt deceit to get it.
chownah
Nobel Prize

The prize ceremonies take place annually. Each recipient (known as a "laureate") receives a gold medal, a diploma, and a monetary award. In 2020, the Nobel Prize monetary award is 10,000,000 SEK, or US$1,145,000, or €968,000, or £880,000.[6] A prize may not be shared among more than three individuals, although the Nobel Peace Prize can be awarded to organizations of more than three people.[7] Although Nobel Prizes are not awarded posthumously, if a person is awarded a prize and dies before receiving it, the prize is presented.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize
Prime Minister's Prizes for Science

The Prime Minister's Prizes for Science
The Prime Minister’s Prizes for Science are Australia’s most prestigious awards for outstanding achievements in scientific research, research-based innovation, and excellence in science teaching.

The prizes recognise achievements across diverse disciplines and career stages. Recipients share $750 000 in prize money, and have the opportunity to showcase important work undertaken in their field.

https://www.industry.gov.au/funding-and ... or-science
Want to solve society’s most urgent problems? Cash prizes can spur breakthroughs

https://theconversation.com/want-to-sol ... ghs-146458
THE SCIENCES
Science Prizes

In an effort to spur big science discoveries, the U.S. government and private groups have started offering cash prizes. Some examples:

$25 million
Name: Virgin Earth Challenge
Goal: A system that can remove greenhouse gases from the air for 10 years or more and that is eco-friendly.

$10 million
Name: NewOrgan Prize
Goal: To use regenerative medicine to grow a new organ and to transplant that organ into a patient and have it function for at least two years by 2020.

$2 million
Name: DARPA Urban Challenge
Goal: Develop and drive fully autonomous vehicles in a long-distance competition. (It was awarded in 2007.)

$1.5 million
Name: Sample Return Robot Challenge
Goal: Build a rough-terrain robot capable of finding and retrieving geologic samples.

$1.35 million
Name: Green Flight Challenge
Goal: Build an aircraft that can fly 200 miles on a gallon of gasoline per passenger. (It was awarded in 2011.)

$1 million
Name: PETA prize
Goal: Develop a way to grow and manufacture in vitro chicken meat that tastes just like real chicken.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ce-prizes/
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
chownah

Post by chownah »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:42 pm
chownah wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:40 am You haven't answered my question....it seems clear that whenever there is big prize money that there will be some people who will attempt deceit to get it.
chownah
Prime Minister's Prizes for Science

T......

https://www.industry.gov.au/funding-and ... or-science
Want to solve society’s most urgent problems? Cash prizes can spur breakthroughs

https://theconversation.com/want-to-sol ... ghs-146458
THE SCIENCES
Science Prizes

In an effort to spur big science discoveries, the U.S. government and private groups have started offering cash prizes. Some examples:

$25 million
Name: Virgin Earth Challenge
Goal: A system that can remove greenhouse gases from the air for 10 years or more and that is eco-friendly.

$10 million
Name: NewOrgan Prize
Goal: To use regenerative medicine to grow a new organ and to transplant that organ into a patient and have it function for at least two years by 2020.

$2 million
Name: DARPA Urban Challenge
Goal: Develop and drive fully autonomous vehicles in a long-distance competition. (It was awarded in 2007.)

$1.5 million
Name: Sample Return Robot Challenge
Goal: Build a rough-terrain robot capable of finding and retrieving geologic samples.

$1.35 million
Name: Green Flight Challenge
Goal: Build an aircraft that can fly 200 miles on a gallon of gasoline per passenger. (It was awarded in 2011.)

$1 million
Name: PETA prize
Goal: Develop a way to grow and manufacture in vitro chicken meat that tastes just like real chicken.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ce-prizes/
You still haven't answered my question.
I don't know what you are trying to say with these links. Are you agreeing with me that when there is big prize money there will likely be attempts at deceit? Certainly all those prizes go to great efforts to vet the entries looking for false claims etc.

It should be noted that none of the prizes you link to are big money given for an ESSAY. The best evidene for afterlife prize solicits people to write an essay....some of your links do not solicit anything but rather look at things that have already been done without being solicited for the prize.....other links don't ask for essays but rather verifieable processes or products. The best evidence for afterlife prize just asks for an essay......I doubt that there will be any sort of verification concerning afterlife in that I have never seen a method which even in theory could possibly provide verifiable evidence for an after life.....if you think there is a verifiable method for determining if there is or there is not an afterlife then please post it here......I don't think there is one....I think it lies beyond range.
chownah
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

chownah wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:35 pm You still haven't answered my question.
I don't know what you are trying to say with these links. Are you agreeing with me that when there is big prize money there will likely be attempts at deceit? Certainly all those prizes go to great efforts to vet the entries looking for false claims etc.

It should be noted that none of the prizes you link to are big money given for an ESSAY. The best evidene for afterlife prize solicits people to write an essay....some of your links do not solicit anything but rather look at things that have already been done without being solicited for the prize.....other links don't ask for essays but rather verifieable processes or products. The best evidence for afterlife prize just asks for an essay......I doubt that there will be any sort of verification concerning afterlife in that I have never seen a method which even in theory could possibly provide verifiable evidence for an after life.....if you think there is a verifiable method for determining if there is or there is not an afterlife then please post it here......I don't think there is one....I think it lies beyond range.
chownah
Fraud attempts can happen in any contest, especially if you have a lot of money as a prize.

Do you think the BICS team did not think of that?

I already mentioned one of the prerequisites to participate in this contest
Rules and Application

2. Essay Application Qualifications

Applicants must provide evidence that they have investigated the topic of Survival of Human Consciousness after Death for 5 years or more.

A Scientist who has spent more than 5 years working with serious scientific research on Life after death will not attempt to defraud a Contest.

Many of these Scientists are from very respected Universities.

There are many serious Scientists who research about life after death, Reincarnation and Spirituality.
I doubt that there will be any sort of verification concerning afterlife in that I have never seen a method which even in theory could possibly provide verifiable evidence for an after life.....if you think there is a verifiable method for determining if there is or there is not an afterlife then please post it here...
Near-Death Experiences

Evidence for Their Reality

by Jeff rey Long, MD

Near-death experiences (NDEs) are reported by about 17% of those who nearly die.1

NDEs have been reported by children, adults, scientists, physicians, priests, ministers, among the religious and atheists, and from countries throughout the world...

Methods

There is no uniformly accepted defi nition of neardeath experience. Definitions of NDE with some variability have been used throughout the 35 plus years that NDE has been the subject of scholarly investigation.

For my retrospective investigations, an NDE was required to have both a near-death and experience component.

Individuals were considered to be “near-death” if they were so physically compromised that if their condition did not improve they would be expected to irreversibly die.

Near-death experiencers (NDErs) included in my investigations were generally unconscious and may have required cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
The “experience” component of an NDE had to occur when they were near death. Also, the experience had to be reasonably lucid, which excluded fragmentary or brief disorganized memories. For an experience to be classifi ed as an NDE, there had to be a score of seven or above on the NDE Scale.3

The NDE Scale asks 16 questions about the NDE content and is the most validated scale to help distinguish NDEs from other types of experiences...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... _p0372.pdf
NDERF is the largest NDE site in the world, with over 4,000 experiences in more than 23 languages!
https://www.nderf.org/

Review of "Evidence of the Afterlife"
http://neardth.com/evidence-of-the-afterlife.php

The Nine Lines of Evidence

6. Family Reunions

During an NDE, the people encountered are virtually always deceased, and are usually relatives of the person having the experience – sometimes they are even relatives who died before the NDEr was born. Were the NDE only a product of memory fragments, they would almost certainly include far more living people, including those with whom they had more recently interacted.

http://www.newdualism.org/nde-papers/Lo ... 2--1-2.pdf

Exceptional Experiences
https://www.nderf.org/Archives/exceptional.html
Surviving Death - Season 1 - Episode 06 - Reincarnation
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

chownah

Post by chownah »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:45 pm Fraud attempts can happen in any contest, especially if you have a lot of money as a prize.

Do you think the BICS team did not think of that?
I have no idea what they think about and what possible biases they might have....I don't know ANYTHING about them.....and even if they do think of that and even if they can control whatever possible biases they MIGHT have it will involve a lot of work to discern where fraud may enter.....
Lucas Oliveira wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:45 pm I already mentioned one of the prerequisites to participate in this contest
Rules and Application
A Scientist who has spent more than 5 years working with serious scientific research on Life after death will not attempt to defraud a Contest.

Many of these Scientists are from very respected Universities.
I believe that you are naive to think that a scientist who has worked in a field for 5 years (a short time really for a scientist) could not possibly attempt to defraud.

I believe that you are naive to think that a scientist who is from a respected university could not possibley attempt to defraud.

I believe that naivity coupled with unwarranted positivity can lead one to being blind to deception.
Lucas Oliveira wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:45 pm There are many serious Scientists who research about life after death, Reincarnation and Spirituality.
If you are correct with this then there is no reason to have this contest....all we would need to do is to read the many serious research papers that these serious scientists have already created.....It really looks to me like this contest is fishing for some new literature to be created.....what is wrong with the existing research that someone must offer a lot of money for something new?....do people think that something really NEW will appear and be incorporated into a new essay?.....if not then what is the point?....why not just present a list of existing research papers on the subject and let people have at it?.....or is this just "afterlife promotion"?.......meant to stir the pot....
Lucas Oliveira wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:45 pm
chownah wrote: I doubt that there will be any sort of verification concerning afterlife in that I have never seen a method which even in theory could possibly provide verifiable evidence for an after life.....if you think there is a verifiable method for determining if there is or there is not an afterlife then please post it here...
Lucas Oliveira wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:45 pm
Near-Death Experiences
It has never been established that NDE (near death experiences) have anything to do with afterlife.....in fact there is no evidence presented other than their recounting of their memories of the content of their mind while unconscous.....the content of their mind leads some to ASSUME that it indicates an afterlife while others make no assumptions and admit that there are other explanations.....please remember that NEAR death experiences are called NEAR death experiences because because the people who report these experiences are in a situation where they MIGHT die.....but in fact they DO NOT die.....there is no verifiable evidence that the memories reported have anything to do with any afterlife.....

It all depends on faith......there is no clear scientific evidence.....and it is difficult to see if it is even possible for clear scientific evidence to exist for such a difficult proposition to be credibly supported.....I think the best thing is for those believing in the afterlife to admit the degree to which faith plays in formulating their mental fabrications....faith is not a bad thing....doesn't the buddha say that faith is important?......

chownah
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

chownah wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:10 pm ...
You are naive to think that the contest team has not taken steps to prevent fraud.

You are also prejudiced because you think that the theme of life after death will attract only people who want to Fraud the Contest.

There are very serious Scientists who work with Scientific research on the theme Life after death, Reincarnation and Spirituality.

And that is one of the objectives of this contest, to encourage debate on the topic and gather the best scientific works in this area.

In November the result of this contest will come out and we will be able to know more about the work of these Scientists.

chownah

Post by chownah »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:23 pm
chownah wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:10 pm ...
You are naive to think that the contest team has not taken steps to prevent fraud.
I don't think that I have expressed the view that I think that the contest team has not taken steps to prevent fraud. Please show me where I said this.....or admit that I have not said this.....
You are also prejudiced because you think that the theme of life after death will attract only people who want to Fraud the Contest.
I don't think that I have expressed the view that I think that the theme of life after death will attract only people who want to fraud the contest. Please show me where I have said this or admit that I have not said this......
There are very serious Scientists who work with Scientific research on the theme Life after death, Reincarnation and Spirituality.
I guess there are these sorts of scientists.......don't serious scientists usually publish their work so isn't the work of these scientists already available?.....if their work is not readily available then why?
Lucas Oliveira wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:23 pm And that is one of the objectives of this contest, to encourage debate on the topic and gather the best scientific works in this area.
Aren't the best scientific works in this area already available?....why would they be asking for people to formulate essays......generally speaking an essay is not necessarily scientific at all.....it seems that an essay is more consistent with something written to be pursuasive rather than something written to show data and analysis of that data.....scientists generally publish research papers and not essays.
In November the result of this contest will come out and we will be able to know more about the work of these Scientists.
I am interested in how this all comes to fruition....there may be surprises in store....I'm hoping to see something other than case studies......
What would it mean if not all of the prizes are awarded?
chownah
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:23 pm There are very serious Scientists who work with Scientific research on the theme Life after death, Reincarnation and Spirituality.
:roll:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.