Microdosing on cannabis

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
SDC

Re: Microdosing on cannabis

Post by SDC »

Disciple wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm Would microdosing on 5 milligrams of thc before going to bed to help with sleep and bodily discomfort be considered a precept violation? If yes, then is taking a sleeping pill and some tylenol or advil also be a violation?
What kind of bodily discomfort are we talking about? Anxiety? Physical pain?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
BurlLam

Post by BurlLam »

In terms of microdosing with THC before bed, it ultimately depends on the specific precepts of your practice. However, I've heard of many people who use cannabis in small doses to help with sleep and pain management without feeling like it's a violation. As for bodily discomfort, it could refer to physical pain, but it could also include things like nausea, headaches, or even menstrual cramps.
BTW, I recently discovered the healing properties of CBD myself and found it to be a great alternative to pharmaceuticals for managing my anxiety and stress. I came across an interesting article about CBD that you might find helpful as well. I'll leave the link here: https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/heres-what-makes-this-200-year-old-heirloom-best-cbd-for-relief/
Gwi II

Post by Gwi II »

Disciple wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm Would microdosing on 5 milligrams of thc before going to bed to help with sleep and bodily discomfort be considered a precept violation? If yes, then is taking a sleeping pill and some tylenol or advil also be a violation?
All types of drugs are an offense if consumed
(drink/eat), except for healing, BUT MUST BE
MIXED WITH OTHER MEDICINE, NOT DRUGS
(NOT TYPES OF DRUGS even though it is not
recommended.

* Similar to the case of Venerable Upali Thero
who cured a bhikkhu with "alcohol (mixed with
other (non-alcoholic) medicine").

Healing = not therapy, not prevention, but for (immediate)
recovery, such as a headache and then taking medicine to
get better, AND ONCE AGAIN, MUST BE MIXED WITH OTHER
MEDICINE (NOT TYPES OF DRUGS) OR VIOLATION OF THE
FIFTH PRECEPTION.

DON'T SAY DRUGS CAN BE ALLOWED
(THOUGH IT'S LEGAL IN SOME CITIES).
Gwi: "There are only-two Sakaṽādins:
Theraṽādå&Ṽibhajjaṽādå, the rest are
nonsakaṽādins!"
Radix

Post by Radix »

Disciple wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:25 pm
dharmacorps wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:12 pm THC is an intoxicant. Advil and tylenol are not. Sleeping pills could be depending on the intention of taking them.
It isn't intoxicating in low doses and can have the same effect as pharmaceutical drugs without the many side effects.

Those results come from observation of ordinary people who are not Buddhists.

An experienced meditator would possibly feel the intoxicating effect at a much lesser dose in comparison to someone who doesn't meditate.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
knighter

Post by knighter »

Hay mate
Can I recommend a 10 day vipassana course 🕺🏻
You’ll at least never have sleep problems & be able to observe your pain. Be happy Brother 👌
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Old topic. I will like it closed if possible, thanks.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Done!