Meditation and Cannabis

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
auto

Re: Meditation and Cannabis

Post by auto »

Crazy cloud wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:12 pm It all boils down to skilful or unskilful use.
skillful means not doing, non-action.
auto

Post by auto »

Crazy cloud wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:12 pm I don't use any drugs, but I have no problem gaining states of mind that is similar to what psychedelics can produce. So, it might be that Buddha didn't
by states of minds, you mean what? i thought states of mind occur from absence.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

auto wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:40 pm skillful means not doing, non-action.
Yes, 1) abstention from killing living beings, 2) abstention from taking what is not given; 3) abstention from misconduct in sensual pleasures, 4) abstention from false speech; 5) abstention from malicious speech; 6) abstention from harsh speech, 7) abstention from gossip.

But also 8) non-covetousness and 9) non-ill will. And also 10) right view.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

I would like to see it legalised, I also see it as a very good thing that Buddhism is free from the usage of cannabis in their mediation practices and lifestyles

I’m also open to people using it to see if it can heal and aid mediation states, it’s used in some cultures such a yogi and Rastafarian practices and it works for them

It’s used in medical practices

What we need is open minds and practices that can somehow reach out as broadly as possible in so many different circumstances , a one size fits all will never work

If someone was to use it they say quality also matters, cannabis will work on the nervous system , many modern cannabis products are grown with chemicals

There is nothing wrong with nature, it’s our wisdom and relationship with it
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

auto wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:42 pm
Crazy cloud wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:12 pm I don't use any drugs, but I have no problem gaining states of mind that is similar to what psychedelics can produce. So, it might be that Buddha didn't
By states of mind, I mean more like going out of mind to find the natural mind.
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

auto wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:40 pm
Crazy cloud wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:12 pm It all boils down to skilful or unskilful use.
skillful means not doing, non-action.
Not doing is also an action.

It starts with right view, and when the view is clear, the rest follows effortlessly.
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters
auto

Post by auto »

Crazy cloud wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:56 pm
how is that going out of mind implemented? and can you tell some qualities of that natural mind?
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

auto wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:35 pm
Crazy cloud wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:56 pm
how is that going out of mind implemented? and can you tell some qualities of that natural mind?
I let the senses go and stayed with the natural mind. The texture of the natural mind is clarity, and the quality is the four bhrama viharas.
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters
auto

Post by auto »

Crazy cloud wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:08 pm I let the senses go and stayed with the natural mind. The texture of the natural mind is clarity, and the quality is the four bhrama viharas.
Senses can't be let go. Unless you describe what you mean by that.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+is+meant+by+senses&form=ANNTH1&refig=7efc44a762f745eb8ac4426233568094 wrote:sense
[sɛns]
NOUN
senses (plural noun)
a faculty by which the body perceives an external stimulus; one of the faculties of sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch:
"the bear has a keen sense of smell which enables it to hunt at dusk"
If senses are let go, it means there is no external stimulus perceived. What is meant by the perception, does it mean the gaze is fixed on some other place, namely the natural mind?
In abhidhamma it is upacāra or paṭibhāga nimitta, it interrupts the life-continuum. When life-continuum is interrupted, you become aware of the thing what interrupted it. The clarity is within or accompany that object. You then can focus on the clarity from remembering it(by the taste, so to speak).
This remembering is momentary and there happen some kind of impact with the body, this stage is halfway to stage where life-continuum won't get interrupted. Clarity will stop happen. And of course, there are more things..
Clarity is a death sign, it feels opposite tho like being alive, fresh, immediate presence but that is from a worldly perspective, when you still part of that cycle.
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Some call it presence, unborn, bare consciousness or samadhi. What I call it is "clarity" and relate it to right view, or samma ditthi.
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters
auto

Post by auto »

Crazy cloud wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:55 pm Some call it presence, unborn, bare consciousness or samadhi. What I call it is "clarity" and relate it to right view, or samma ditthi.
If to become aware and have not been aware for a while, it does look clear, alive. When to be aware and keep at it, then you eventually come aware again and notice you were unaware and even notice some kind of impact and black space. The black space can be remembered or recalled just like clarity can be - you can make the clarity of the awareness as your meditation object.
Also do you practice this way of finding out a way to be - use body and mind in a certain way to cause some sort of substance or energy to move, dissolve or collect it etc in body, at certain times you can pull pile of elements(or orb) into the body from the orbit accessed mentally?

In that sense the presence, natural state is something to find out by doing contemplation, trying out different combinations. When to come aware and then release energy, it is just one thing what is done. or you come aware and then use eyes in a certain way or suppress breath in chest neck area to push energy in some other place in a body or head area..

I bring these examples since what you tell is bare. Should i just say OK, that precisely is the reason forums die.
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

auto wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:07 pm
Crazy cloud wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:55 pm Some call it presence, unborn, bare consciousness or samadhi. What I call it is "clarity" and relate it to right view, or samma ditthi.
I bring these examples since what you tell is bare. Should i just say OK, that precisely is the reason forums die.
Your remarks is understandable and fine. It's me who are less interested in long, drawn-out discussions about practice.
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

As a layperson currently trapped in belief that cannabis use elevates meditative experience and embodiment of sutta, maybe it can be helpful to some but to promote it as such might possibly lead others to explore the experience and find a similar trap leading to much suffering.

Many days I thought of contributing to this thread in support but I find myself bound by the very thing I claim helps.

Once across the river, the raft is left on the shore. If this is supposed to be a raft, why do I find abandoning it such a challenge? Because it is not a raft like I thought.

My examination leads me back to attachment, not cessation.

The open discussion regarding this topic found here has opened my eyes to my fallacy and dependency. Now to attend to my actions for the test.
Gratitude to all.
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Dhammapardon wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:01 pm As a layperson currently trapped in belief that cannabis use elevates meditative experience and embodiment of sutta, maybe it can be helpful to some but to promote it as such might possibly lead others to explore the experience and find a similar trap leading to much suffering.
I also believed that cannabis had something that made me naturally happy, and I mentioned this to friends and my GP, and after starting to practise Buddha's teachings, mentioned it to fellow practitioners. But none of these could confirm or give informed advice on how to find out the truth of my belief. Most said I was deluded and spoke like a typical addict.

The solution was to study the last twenty years of research around cannabis and the cannabinoid system in the body, origin and skilful use of this plant medicine. There are valuable resources to find on the internet.
After I had gained enough knowledge, I quit using any substance and started practising new knowledge with the teachings of Buddha as a container. After six months of dedicated practice, I found what I sought and then used a couple of years to refine it. Now I can humbly say that I know for myself, and I don't care about others' opinions. Most of these opinions are just that, primarily based on people's lack of knowledge and experiential evidence.

Now I don't have a personal interest in misusing this plant medicine, other than if it's a skilful means for something special that I need to clarify.

And I agree with you, I won't tell anybody to use it mindlessly, but I will support anybody willing to do the job of finding out about themselves.
Many days I thought of contributing to this thread in support, but I find myself bound by the very thing I claim helps.
Don't bother because people follow their beliefs and prejudices.

Find out for yourself, and don't criticise yourself!
My examination leads me back to attachment, not cessation.
Realising that cannabis is harmless and can be used as a skilful means, but not necessary for reaching firm happiness, doesn't necessarily remove the addict's personality. But when you see clearly for yourself that the happy state can be reached with and without plant medicine, then it isn't hard to let go of the habit.

While writing, I had this video on in the background. Gabor Mate is one of my resources for knowledge, and he's got a healer's heart and attitude.

Be well and happy :smile:

If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters
auto

Post by auto »

Crazy cloud wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:51 am After I had gained enough knowledge, I quit using any substance and started practising new knowledge with the teachings of Buddha as a container. After six months of dedicated practice, I found what I sought and then used a couple of years to refine it.
What did you practice?