New Book by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
bodom

New Book by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu

Post by bodom »

Seeing with the Eye of Dhamma:
The Comprehensive Teaching of Buddhadasa Bhikkhu

A milestone in Buddhist literature, this comprehensive presentation of the practice of Dhamma shows how it can quench the dissatisfaction and suffering inherent in our lives

Dhamma—a Pali word meaning "law of nature" or "the truth," but commonly used to refer to the overall body of Buddhist teachings—has the potential to fundamentally change one's life. In this comprehensive set of teachings, Buddhadasa Bhikkhu, perhaps the most influential Thai Buddhist of the twentieth century, introduces the Dhamma to lay practitioners in a relatable and powerful way. Beginning with an extensive discussion of the practice and moving into specific teachings on Dhamma, this book will be an indispensable resource for Theravada Buddhist and Insight Meditation practitioners.

https://www.shambhala.com/seeing-with-t ... hamma.html

:anjali:
Attachments
9781611807660.jpg
Aloka

Re: New Book by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu

Post by Aloka »

Thank you very much for sharing that, Bodom.

bodom

Post by bodom »

Aloka wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:43 pm Thank you very much for sharing that, Bodom.

You're welcome. I've always appreciated his views on the Dhamma.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

was he a secular buddhist
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
un8-

Post by un8- »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:20 am was he a secular buddhist
yes and no

I'm not sure if he actually said "the Buddha didn't say rebirth is true."

There's a difference between saying "the Buddha didn't say rebirth is true" (which is obviously wrong) and "rebirth isn't the focus of the Buddha's teaching" (which is true in my opinion).

If he said the former then I would say he is a secular buddhist (wrong view), if he said the latter then he has Supermundane right view.

Seems like the latter
Buddhadāsa was of the opinion that the Buddha wasn’t teaching such a thing so didn’t concern himself with what might or might not happen once physical death had taken place, that, said he, couldn’t be known with any certainty, and anyway, wasn’t personally experienceable. On the other hand, the Ajahn never denied the possibility of ‘rebirth,’ and acknowledged the concept as having value in any social system still dominated by ignorance: primarily as a social tool, but also as a means to another end – that is, as a conduit by way of which people could come to a more useful understanding of the Buddha’s teaching.
https://www.suanmokkh.org/books/14
There is only one battle that could be won, and that is the battle against the 3 poisons. Any other battle is a guaranteed loss because you're going to die either way.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

un8- wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:02 am
I'm not sure if he actually said "the Buddha didn't say rebirth is true."

There's a difference between saying "the Buddha didn't say rebirth is true" (which is obviously wrong) and "rebirth isn't the focus of the Buddha's teaching" (which is true in my opinion).

Here's a pdf of Ven. Buddhadasa's talk "Anatta and Rebirth"

https://www.dhammatalks.net/Books7/Budd ... ebirth.pdf

un8-

Post by un8- »

Aloka wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:52 am

Here's a pdf of Ven. Buddhadasa's talk "Anatta and Rebirth"

https://www.dhammatalks.net/Books7/Budd ... ebirth.pdf

Great article, thank you
There is only one battle that could be won, and that is the battle against the 3 poisons. Any other battle is a guaranteed loss because you're going to die either way.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

un8- wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:30 am
Great article, thank you
You're very welcome, I'm glad you like it!

:twothumbsup:
un8-

Post by un8- »

Aloka wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:38 pm
un8- wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:30 am
Great article, thank you
You're very welcome, I'm glad you like it!

:twothumbsup:
I found a similar one by Ven Punnaji, check it out, he has similar views

on page 34 (link below)
Belief in Rebirth is a Hindrance

We might even venture, at this point, to state that the
belief in rebirth can even be a hindrance to one's progress in enlightenment. This is because, to think of rebirth and samsara is to get entangled in the concept of time, and to do so is to affi rm
the belief in the continuity of an entity, into the past, present, and future; which is the eternalist stand point, experienced as an everlasting “self” that exists in time. If, on the other hand, we deny the continuity of an entity in time, we get caught up in the
present and say: “Then there is no rebirth after my death," which is the annihilationist position. Thus the concept "there is a soul" leads to the eternalist stand-point and the concept "there is no soul", leads to the annihilationist positi
Genuine Buddhism, therefore, is not 'Kamma and Rebirth Buddhism'. Genuine Buddhism which is independent of time (akalika), speaks not about rebirth but about suffering (dukkha) and its cessation here and now:

“One thing alone do I teach, monks, suffering and the
cessation of suffering."
(Anguttara Nikaya)

http://buddhaoriginalteachings.blogspot ... ation.html

He then references suttas and explains in more detail
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Thank you. I don't seem to be able to find page 34 !
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

It’s odd that in “Me and Mine” Ven. Buddhadasa says there is rebirth.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Buddhadasa rejected the traditional rebirth and karma doctrine, since he thought it to be incompatible with sunyata, and not conducive to the extinction of dukkha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhadasa

bodom

Post by bodom »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:26 pm It’s odd that in “Me and Mine” Ven. Buddhadasa says there is rebirth.
I don't believe he ever denied it. He just didn't agree with commentarial tradition of the 3 lives model.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

He also said he agreed with 90% of the Visuddhimagga but again just not the 3 lifetime interpretation found therein.

- BB
un8-

Post by un8- »

Aloka wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:06 pm Thank you. I don't seem to be able to find page 34 !
hm weird.. Page 34 in text is page 36 in the pdf file, if that helps