This is the way that leads to beauty

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
cappuccino

This is the way that leads to beauty

Post by cappuccino »

the Blessed One wrote:But here some woman or man is not angry or much given to rage; even when much is said, he is not furious, angry, ill-disposed, resentful, nor does he show ill-temper, hate or surliness. Due to having performed and completed such kammas, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a happy destination… If instead he comes to the human state, he is beautiful wherever he is reborn. This is the way that leads to beauty, that is to say, not to be angry or given to much rage; even when much is said, not to be furious, angry, ill-disposed or resentful, or to show ill-temper, hate or surliness.
Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta
Aloka

Re: This is the way that leads to beauty

Post by Aloka »

47.20. The Most Beautiful Girl of the Land

Thus have I heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was living among the Sumbhas, where there was a town of the Sumbhas named Sedaka. There the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus thus: “Bhikkhus!”

“Venerable sir!” the bhikkhus replied. The Blessed One said this:

“Bhikkhus, suppose that on hearing, ‘The most beautiful girl of the land! The most beautiful girl of the land!’ a great crowd of people would assemble. Now that most beautiful girl of the land would dance exquisitely and sing exquisitely. On hearing, ‘The most beautiful girl of the land is dancing! The most beautiful girl of the land is singing!’ an even larger crowd of people would assemble. Then a man would come along, wishing to live, not wishing to die, wishing for happiness, averse to suffering. Someone would say to him: ‘Good man, you must carry around this bowl of oil filled to the brim between the crowd and the most beautiful girl of the land. A man with a drawn sword will be following right behind you, and wherever you spill even a little of it, right there he will fell your head.’

“What do you think, bhikkhus, would that man stop attending to that bowl of oil and out of negligence turn his attention outwards?”

“No, venerable sir.”

“I have made up this simile, bhikkhus, in order to convey a meaning. This here is the meaning: ‘The bowl of oil filled to the brim’: this is a designation for mindfulness directed to the body. Therefore, bhikkhus, you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will develop and cultivate mindfulness directed to the body, make it our vehicle, make it our basis, stabilize it, exercise ourselves in it, and fully perfect it.’ Thus, bhikkhus, should you train yourselves.”

https://suttacentral.net/sn47.20/en/bodhi

:anjali:
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

AN 4.58. Sudatta

Then the householder Anāthapiṇḍika went up to the Buddha, bowed, and sat down to one side. The Buddha said to him:

“Householder, when a noble disciple gives food, they give the recipients four things. What four? Long life, beauty, happiness, and strength. Giving long life, they have long life as a god or human. … Giving beauty … happiness … strength … When a noble disciple gives food, they give the recipients these four things.

Carefully giving food at the right time,
to those who are disciplined, eating only what others give,
you provide them with four things:
long life, beauty, happiness, and strength.

A person who gives long life, beauty,
happiness, and strength,
has long life and fame
wherever they’re reborn.”

https://suttacentral.net/an4.58/en/sujato

:anjali:
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Aloka wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:56 am the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus thus: “Bhikkhus!”

“Venerable sir!” the bhikkhus replied.
for monks … not laypersons
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Just be sure to give it appropriate attention. :)
“And what, bhikkhus, is the nutriment for the arising of unarisen sensual desire and for the increase and expansion of arisen sensual desire? There is, bhikkhus, the sign of the beautiful: frequently giving careless attention to it is the nutriment for the arising of unarisen sensual desire and for the increase and expansion of arisen sensual desire. (From SN46.2)
https://legacy.suttacentral.net/en/sn46.2
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

JohnK wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:27 pm sensual desire
Our feeling for beauty is a spiritual and not a sensual emotion. -Roger Scruton
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

If we ignore the need of beauty, we find ourselves in a spiritual desert. -Roger Scruton
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

British people r polite and kind. I think this is why british men are handsome .. im not gay but just my observation.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:48 pm British people are polite and kind. I think this is why British men are handsome
yes, especially if kind despite difficulty
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:48 pm I’m not gay but just my observation.
nor am I
Metta.karuna

Post by Metta.karuna »

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

we find ourselves in a spiritual desert
turnerfait

Post by turnerfait »

You are right. Interior beauty is more important.