A forum for Dhamma resources in languages other than English
confusedlayman

Re: Sri Lankan Dhamma talks

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:16 am
Ontheway wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:24 am
SarathW wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:09 am

No, it is not a joke.
Waharaka linage is getting stronger as time goes by.
Like many Sri Lankans, even I started to doubt whether Buddha was born in India.

1) Jains stories about Mahavihara is very similar to Buddha's story
2) Why did Buddha choose a place to be born where is teaching last only for three hundred years
3) Sri Lankan language is very close to Pali. Is there any other country like this?
4) If Jains survive why the Buddhism perish in Sri Lanka?
5) How Sri Lanka get so many relics supposed to be Budhha's relics
6) Why there are no records about Buddha in Hindu texts?
Seriously haha SarathW are you really buying that idea? :rofl:

1) Jainism was defeated by Buddhism at the time of Buddha. Jainism is only flourishing after Buddhism fallen away from orthodoxy and became segmented in India. When they are flourishing, they can write a lot of scriptures to glorify themselves.

2) The teaching didn't last for three hundred years. It lasts for 500 years originally. From what I heard is that Arahant Mahakassapa Thera fortified the Endurance of Sasana till 5000 years by organising the First Council of Arahants. Need to find the source of that info. Even Buddhasasana disappeared in India, it thrives in other places well.

3) Not only Sri Lanka. Thai language is similar too. Eg:
Sun: Adicco (Pali) = Adit (Thai)
Moon: Canda (Pali) = Can (Thai)
Knowledge: Vijja (Pali) = Vijja (Thai)
Wisdom: Panya (Pali) = Panya (Thai)
Defilement: Kilesa (Pali) = Kilet (Thai)
Things (to-do) Kicca (Pali) = Kit (Thai)

It is just borrowing words from one culture to another.

4) Buddhism perished once in Sri Lanka due to foreign powers and weakness of Sinhalese King.

5) Brought over from India.

6) Because the concept of 'Buddha' didn't occurs in Brahmanism. As simple as that. Later Vishnu-ism incorporated Buddha as 9th Avatar. But that's late development of Hinduism.
Perhaps the idea that Buddha was born in Sri Lanka could be a result of current world politics. If there is a third world war it is possible that the Sri Lankans will be sided with the China due to their influence. It is not easy to get the support of Sri Lankan people to attack India if the Buddha's birth place was India. I can recall once some Australian people were trying to create a Gallipoli Peninsula in Australia due to some political issue with the Turkey.
I dont know why Sri Lankans hate Indians and love Chinese when Chinese are putting srilankan in dept trap and misusing trust ...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...