Random pics or drawing of Lord Buddha and his disciples in Theravada tradition

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Ontheway

Re: Random pics or drawing of Lord Buddha and his disciples in Theravada tradition

Post by Ontheway »

thomaslaw wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:54 am
Ontheway wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:33 pm e8e96c4d8533dd29d0320ad938790705.jpg
After calling the mother earth as a witness to his virtues and merits, the Bodhisatta Siddattha Gotama conquers the Mara and his hosts, claiming the right to sit on Bodhi Pallanka.
The mother earth, i.e. the images of Phra Mae Thorani are common in shrines and Buddhist temples of Thailand (and also Laos, Burma, Cambodia). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phra_Mae_Thorani

Do you know why?
Such deity did not appear in Sri Lanka tradition officially, but I think the Thai Buddhists used Phra Mae Thorani as a symbol for mother earth.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
thomaslaw

Re: Random pics or drawing of Lord Buddha and his disciples in Theravada tradition

Post by thomaslaw »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:01 am Such deity did not appear in Sri Lanka tradition officially, but I think the Thai Buddhists used Phra Mae Thorani as a symbol for mother earth.
Yes, I think, even Brahma is not worshiped officially in shrines and Buddhist temples in the Sri Lanka tradition.
Last edited by thomaslaw on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Buddha-Weekly-Angry-celestial-Ogre-Alavaka-tamed-by-the-Serenety-of-Buddha-Takes-Refuge-Buddhism.jpg
Buddha and Alavaka Yakkha

life-of-buddha-42 (1).jpg
Buddha and Saccaka

Hnet.com-image.png
Thai style mural depicting Mahasamaya Sutta event
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

IMG_20211002_154058.jpg
IMG_20211002_154058.jpg (34.38 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
Arahat Nagasena Thera having discussion on various Dhamma topics with King MENANDER I SOTER (Milinda)

Nagasena_and_Menander_I.jpg
Meeting of Arahat Nagasena and King Milinda (source: Wikipedia)
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

ps1_35280_fnt_dd_t12.jpg
Arahat Upagupta binding Mara by using Iddhi powers

Hnet.com-image.jpg
Buddhaghosa travelled to Sri Lanka, visiting Mahavihara Monastery (the first ever BuddhaDhamma Study Centre and Monastery established by Arahat Mahinda with the help of King Devanampiya Tissa), in order to translate the Maha Atthakatha from Sinhalese back to Magadhi. In order to gain permission from the Arahats and other great elders, he need to write a treatise based on a short Gatha given:

"When a wise man, established well in virtue, Develops consciousness and understanding, Then as a bhikkhu ardent and sagacious He succeeds in disentangling this tangle” (S I 13)

Which he succeed and present Visuddhi Magga for Mahavihara. The treatise was approved and the elders give permission to Buddhaghosa for translating Maha Atthakatha into Pali.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:49 am
It’s interesting that Ven. Nagasena is venerated so much in Theravāda as it’s likely he was a Sarvāstivādin.
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
SamD

Post by SamD »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:57 am
It’s interesting that Ven. Nagasena is venerated so much in Theravāda as it’s likely he was a Sarvāstivādin.

What do you mean by "likely he was Sarvastavadin" ?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

SamD wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:31 am

What do you mean by "likely he was Sarvastavadin" ?
In the Questions of Questions of Milinda Ven. Nāgasena states that there are two unconditioned elements, namely nibbāna and space. This was something rejected by Theravāda in the Kathāvatthu, but was accepted by Sarvāstivāda.
[King Menander] ‘Venerable Nāgasena, what are they who are said, in this connection, to be “Karma-born,” and “cause-born,” and “season-born”? And what is it that is none of these?’

[Nagasenabhikkhu] ‘All beings, O king, who are conscious, are Karma-born (spring into existence as the result of Karma). Fire, and all things growing out of seeds, are cause-born (the result of a pre-existing material cause). The earth, and the hills, water, and wind—all these are season-born (depend for their existence on reasons connected with weather). Space and Nirvāṇa exist independently alike of Karma, and cause, and seasons. Of Nirvāṇa, O king, it cannot be said that it is Karma-born or cause-born or season-born; that it has been, or has not been, or can be produced, that it is past or future or present, that it is perceptible by the eye or the nose or the ear or the tongue or by the sense of touch. But it is perceptible, O king, by the mind. By means of his pure heart, refined and straight, free from the obstacles, free from low cravings, that disciple of the Noble Ones who has fully attained can see Nirvāṇa.’
(Mil 6.2.6)
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

I am not aware of this Nagasena being a Sarvastivadin.

In fact, in Visuddhimagga (which is of orthodox Theravada school), Arahat Nagasena's opinion was quoted too. And this Burmese Sixth Council, Milindapanha was included in Theravada Pali Tipitaka canon too. To me, it seems, Nagasena was absorbed by Sarvastivada later.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:27 pm

In fact, in Visuddhimagga (which is of orthodox Theravada school), Arahat Nagasena's opinion was quoted too. And this Burmese Sixth Council, Milindapanha was included in Theravada Pali Tipitaka canon too. To me, it seems, Nagasena was absorbed by Sarvastivada later.
If that is the case then why does he say Sarvāstivādin things in a supposedly Theravādin text?
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:50 pm

If that is the case then why does he say Sarvāstivādin things in a supposedly Theravādin text?
"From the Commentary: Space is of three modes: as confined or delimited, as abstracted from object, as empty or inane. Of these the first is conditioned; the other two are mere abstract ideas. But some, like the Uttarapathakas and Mahimsasakas, hold that the two latter modes also, inasmuch as [being mental functions] they are not conditioned, must therefore be unconditioned.

Theravadin: "If space is unconditioned, as you afrm, you must class it with Nibbana, or you must affirm two [sorts of] unconditioned—and so two Nibbanas—all of which you deny ...

Can anyone make space where there has been no space? Then one can make that which is conditioned unconditioned—which you deny ...So, too, for the reverse process ...

Again, if you admit that birds go through space, moon, sun, and stars go through space, supernormal movement is worked in space,1the arm or hand is waved in space, clods, clubs, a supernormally moved person, arrows are projected through space, you must state as much about movement through or in the unconditioned—which you cannot ...

Again, if people enclose space when they make houses or barns, do they enclose the unconditioned? Or when a well is dug, does non-space become space? Yes? Then does the unconditioned become conditioned? Or, when an empty well, or an empty barn, or an empty jar, is filled, does “space” disappear? If so, does the unconditioned disappear?"

Uttarapathaka, Mahimsasaka: "If then it is wrong to say space is unconditioned, is it conditioned? You deny. Then it must be unconditioned."

- Kathavathu

Now in the Milindapanha Pali, it doesn't really specifically said which mode of Space is being mentioned, so I think this is why people can reinterpreting the texts into their folds without seeing the big picture. In fact, based on the conversation, the two schools also mentioned Theravadin denied that "Space is conditioned". But this shows the two schools misunderstood Theravadin as they confused with the concepts which "Space" can be represented.
Last edited by Ontheway on Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

02.jpg
The Bodhisatta Prince indulges in sensual pleasure.

03.jpg
Bodhisatta encountered the four divine signs.

05.jpg
Bodhisatta Gotama now renounces everything and becomes an ascetic.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:58 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:50 pm

"From the Commentary: Space is of three modes: as confined or delimited, as abstracted from object, as empty or inane. Of these the first is conditioned; the other two are mere abstract ideas. But some, like the Uttarapathakas and Mahimsasakas, hold that the two latter modes also, inasmuch as [being mental functions] they are not conditioned, must therefore be unconditioned." - Kathavathu

Now in the Milindapanha Pali, it doesn't really specifically said which mode of Space is being mentioned, so I think this is why people can reinterpreting the texts into their folds without seeing the big picture.
It states that space is like nibbāna, in that it is free from conditions. Regarding Theravāda itself, it has a confused interpretation of "space". The space element is said to be a concept only, and so cannot rise and fall, yet in the suttas it states that the space element does indeed rise and fall.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

06.jpg
Bodhisatta Gotama gained Supreme Enlightenment, thus becomes a Buddha.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

img.jpeg
img.jpeg (25.32 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
Buddha using His Iddhi power created an illusion for Khema, instilling Samvega in her.

15.jpg
Buddha rescuing the poor girl Rajjumala

10.jpg
Buddha preaching to Patacara
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.