Nibbana is bliss

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mjaviem

Re: Nibbana is bliss

Post by mjaviem »

santa100 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:22 pm In brief, the 108 mentioned in SN 36.22 are composed of:
[3 basic modes(pain/pleasure/neutral)] x [6 contacts(eye/ear/.../mind-contact)] x [6 sense objects(form/sound/...mind-object)] = 108
There's no distinction of mundane or supra-mundane feelings in SN 36.22 so one'd have to surmise the types mentioned in SN 45.12 is some supra-mundane version of SN 36.22.
I would surmise the same. I would say that this supramundane feeling has nothing in common with the feelings we could know which are explained in SN 36..22. I see this supramundane feeling so alien that I would use another word for it.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
santa100

Post by santa100 »

mjaviem wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:40 pm I would surmise the same. I would say that this supramundane feeling has nothing in common with the feelings we could know which are explained in SN 36..22. I see this supramundane feeling so alien that I would use another word for it.
Obviously something way beyond my paygrade... :smile:
befriend

Post by befriend »

Ajahn amaro gives a talk called "we need to talk about nibbana" he said the characteristics of nibbana are peace, joy and contentment. The talk is on YouTube it's very good.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
jc1990

Post by jc1990 »

I have heard a bhikku taught me, nibbana parmang sukhang or nirvana is ultimate bliss.
yinyangkoi

Post by yinyangkoi »

I had a meditation experience where everything was gone, nothing was there. But at the same time, this nothing was everything at once. It was a special experience, because it felt like everything is complete. Like the ultimate peace, but at the same time it was nothing there. Then it was gone and ordinary life continued
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I think it’s a figure of speech. If you consider that bliss isn’t there in the 4th Jhana, how is it there in nibbana?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:49 pm I think it’s a figure of speech. If you consider that bliss isn’t there in the 4th Jhana, how is it there in nibbana?
I Agree, a figure of speech. A way of saying that all suffering, all problems, all lack, have gone away.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

Nirvana is beyond understanding. In the 1st heaven you never have to work not even a single day. In 2nd heaven you live like a king which includes a harem. Basically an anime dream. In 3rd heaven you can fly and have super strength. In 4th heaven you're in a constant state of ecstasy, basically a meth head dream come true. In 5th heaven you're a creator. In 6th heaven you have power over the creation of other beings. In 7th heaven which is the first jhanaloka you are telepathic and omniscient, you're also a shape shifter here.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

wenjaforever wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:12 am Nirvana is beyond understanding. In the 1st heaven you never have to work not even a single day. In 2nd heaven you live like a king which includes a harem. Basically an anime dream. In 3rd heaven you can fly and have super strength. In 4th heaven you're in a constant state of ecstasy, basically a meth head dream come true. In 5th heaven you're a creator. In 6th heaven you have power over the creation of other beings. In 7th heaven which is the first jhanaloka you are telepathic and omniscient, you're also a shape shifter here.
Shape shifter
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:14 pmShape shifter
How else do you explain the state of genderlessness? :lol:
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

wenjaforever wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:44 pm How else do you explain the state of genderlessness?
androgynous
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

cappuccino wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:01 pmandrogynous
Do you really prefer being a sissy than being a shape shifter?
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

santa100 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:26 pmNope, that's considered a huge asset here in the states, hence the expression. No idea about Indonesia though. Never been there. Might be on the list for next travel destination..
I was actually watching this video, that's why the shape shifter:

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

santa100 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:26 pm Nope, that's considered a huge asset here in the states, hence the expression.
Must you value what others value, avoid what others avoid? How silly!

Laozi
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

cappuccino wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:06 pm
santa100 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:26 pm Nope, that's considered a huge asset here in the states, hence the expression.
Must you value what others value, avoid what others avoid? How silly!

Laozi
Hey, I didn't talk about me or what I value. I was talking about typical Western pop-culture norms and references.