Dhammatalk by Indonesian Theravada Bhikkhu

A forum for Dhamma resources in languages other than English
Ontheway

Dhammatalk by Indonesian Theravada Bhikkhu

Post by Ontheway »

A Dhammatalk by Bhante Bhikkhu Santacitto, Indonesian Theravadin, on Catu Ariyasacca and Paticca Samuppada, and why it is the Heart of Buddha's teachings.

Given that Islam is the majority in Indonesia, I'm really amazed how Theravada Buddhism can strive in such environment.

:anjali: Fortunate indeed for Buddhists in Indonesia
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Ontheway

Re: Dhammatalk by Indonesian Theravada Bhikkhu

Post by Ontheway »

It amazed me how Indonesia, once a fully Islamic country, and now allows and support the propagation of Buddhism in Indonesia. And funny thing is, the Muslims are okay with it and government even make film as Vesakha day show.

Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Good posting!
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

thomaslaw wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:35 am Good posting!
You can speak Indonesian?
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Ontheway wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:38 am
thomaslaw wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:35 am Good posting!
You can speak Indonesian?
No, I cannot speak the language. But I have some Buddhist/Chinese friends in Malaysia and Indonesia.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

I never expected that Indonesia people has such a great interest in Buddha Dhamma. Despite their Islamic or Christian background, they are making effort to learn Buddha Dhamma. Really amazing.

Here Bhante Bhikkhu Santacitto preaching Paticca Samuppada based on Mahanidana Suttanta.

Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Ontheway wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:16 pm I never expected that Indonesia people has such a great interest in Buddha Dhamma. Despite their Islamic or Christian background, they are making effort to learn Buddha Dhamma. Really amazing.
Indonesia's Ajahn Brahm talks has much more attendees compared to Singapore and Malaysia ones. It's mainly the Indonesian Chinese who are Buddhists. Given the large population of Indonesia, the Chinese in Indonesians are in (2-3) millions, despite being super small percentage wise. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese%20Indonesians half of who are Buddhists.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Bhikkhu Santacitto explaining Pali Tipitaka canon in a concise way.

And this video, Bhante Ashin Kheminda taught Abhidhamattha Sangaha and people of Indonesia really interested to learn it. That's really wholesome.

Unlike some so-called Buddhist followers I've seen in the past, always tried to introduce half cooked interpretation and wild guesses, attacking Ancient Arahants of the past with unskilful words, thus harming himself and his followers in many ways. Fortunate indeed Indonesia Buddhists having wise Bhikkhus to guide them.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Ontheway wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:05 am
Unlike some so-called Buddhist followers I've seen in the past, always tried to introduce half cooked interpretation and wild guesses, attacking Ancient Arahants of the past with unskilful words, thus harming himself and his followers in many ways. Fortunate indeed Indonesia Buddhists having wise Bhikkhus to guide them.
It's harmful to you to keep such grudge too! Anyway, the early Buddhism movement is not aiming at attacking ancient arahants. It's trying to see if there's anything in the sutta which is covered up, reinterpreted by later traditions, and uncover it. To remove internal inconsistency.

There's an analogy between Early Buddhist, Theravada and Mahayana. Each level down, they believe in more texts. Each level up, there's more skepticism of later texts. To see how Early buddhist feels towards Theravada, it's easy to just look at how Theravada feels towards Mahayana. Especially when Mahayana people critique the Theravada on being selfish, working on your own salvation only, and not having enough merits to walk the bigger path etc. Theravada also has critique on Early Buddhism (which I will not elaborate here, already elaborated above).

The opposite is true too, Theravada critique Mahayana as too accepting of later texts, don't see how some of them are not internally consistent, same thing as Early Buddhism towards Theravada.

The Mahayana also have legit come back that the Theravada also accepts later texts, which can explain the motivation of Early Buddhism, to only see early texts.

Having seen this big picture, it's possible to appreciate each other, instead of critiquing each other. Best not to create unneeded conflict between the whole ideological stance, they don't disappear via critique.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Bhante,
DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:17 am It's harmful to you to keep such grudge too! Anyway, the early Buddhism movement is not aiming at attacking ancient arahants. It's trying to see if there's anything in the sutta which is covered up, reinterpreted by later traditions, and uncover it. To remove internal inconsistency.
I agree. The vast majority of people who are actively involved in the EBT (Early Buddhist Texts) movement are careful to point out that they do not intend to draw the conclusion that "later means worthless."

For example, Bhikkhu Sujato has given lectures on the Visuddhimagga: https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/se ... hosa/21520
and Bhikkhu Analyo regularly speaks and writes like this:
Analayo wrote: The middle way approach that emerges from all this is one that does not dogmatically assert the correctness of one tradition over another, be this a form of Western Buddhism or any particular Asian tradition. Such an assertion would be one extreme. Nor does such a middle way approach try to amalgamate all traditions indiscriminately into a single form of practice without sufficient sensitivity to their historical origins. This would be the other extreme. Instead, various practices can, if employed with sensitivity to their original historical contexts and purposes, inform the evolving Western Buddhisms (plural). This can have its basis in the understanding that each tradition has its own rightness and correctness when and as long as it is employed within the philosophical and practical context out of which it arose. In relation to the various constructs of mindfulness the question to be asked would then not be “Who is right?” but rather “What is right for me?”
https://www.buddhistinquiry.org/article ... raditions/
It is, of course, possible to find some rather sweeping negative statements about later developments on forums such as this one. People are entitled to express their opinions, but they don't speak for the EBT movement as a whole.

:heart:
Mike
bodom

Post by bodom »

mikenz66 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:20 am Hi Bhante,
DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:17 am It's harmful to you to keep such grudge too! Anyway, the early Buddhism movement is not aiming at attacking ancient arahants. It's trying to see if there's anything in the sutta which is covered up, reinterpreted by later traditions, and uncover it. To remove internal inconsistency.
I agree. The vast majority of people who are actively involved in the EBT (Early Buddhist Texts) movement are careful to point out that they do not intend to draw the conclusion that "later means worthless."

For example, Bhikkhu Sujato has given lectures on the Visuddhimagga: https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/se ... hosa/21520
and Bhikkhu Analyo regularly speaks and writes like this:
Analayo wrote: The middle way approach that emerges from all this is one that does not dogmatically assert the correctness of one tradition over another, be this a form of Western Buddhism or any particular Asian tradition. Such an assertion would be one extreme. Nor does such a middle way approach try to amalgamate all traditions indiscriminately into a single form of practice without sufficient sensitivity to their historical origins. This would be the other extreme. Instead, various practices can, if employed with sensitivity to their original historical contexts and purposes, inform the evolving Western Buddhisms (plural). This can have its basis in the understanding that each tradition has its own rightness and correctness when and as long as it is employed within the philosophical and practical context out of which it arose. In relation to the various constructs of mindfulness the question to be asked would then not be “Who is right?” but rather “What is right for me?”
https://www.buddhistinquiry.org/article ... raditions/
It is, of course, possible to find some rather sweeping negative statements about later developments on forums such as this one. People are entitled to express their opinions, but they don't speak for the EBT movement as a whole.

:heart:
Mike
Thanks Mike. I didn't realize how many great articles were on the Barre site.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
balaputradeva

Post by balaputradeva »

Apakah OntheWay ada akun Facebook?