Booster dose

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
asahi

Booster dose

Post by asahi »

Anyone has any info or opinion for vaccine booster dose ?
Now if booster dose also dont prevents or stops covid19 , what is the significant of taking additional jab ?
No bashing No gossiping
JamesTheGiant

Re: Booster dose

Post by JamesTheGiant »

PLEASE not another vaccine topic.
All vaccine discussion should be in one megathread.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Which megathread ? Dont know if there is one .
No bashing No gossiping
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

asahi wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:52 am Anyone has any info or opinion for vaccine booster dose ?
Now if booster dose also dont prevents or stops covid19 , what is the significant of taking additional jab ?
Booster jabs have been strongly recommended by the Chief Medical Officer here in England, and I will be following that advice.
Unfortunately we still have nearly 5 million people in the UK who have refused the vaccine, some of whom are now clogging up badly needed hospital beds.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
asahi

Post by asahi »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:57 am
asahi wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:52 am Anyone has any info or opinion for vaccine booster dose ?
Booster jabs have been strongly recommended by the Chief Medical Officer here in England, and I will be following that advice.
Unfortunately we still have nearly 5 million people in the UK who have refused the vaccine, some of whom are now clogging up badly needed hospital beds.
One of the concern is mix jabs . According to some experts , better not mix . Then have to wait after 6 months for booster according to FDA n CDC . But in our country Govt never inform the public the interval before booster dose n calling them to voluntarily take jab where the gap are but only lapsing 3 months .
No bashing No gossiping
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

asahi wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:05 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:57 am
One of the concern is mix jabs . According to some experts , better not mix . Then have to wait after 6 months for booster according to FDA n CDC . But in our country Govt never inform the public the interval before booster dose n calling them to voluntarily take jab where the gap are but only lapsing 3 months .
In the UK we had some trials which demonstrated that mixing vaccines is the most effective way to boost immunity. My first two doses earlier this year were Astra Zennica, and I expect to be given Pfizer for the booster next month. Here we are eligible for the booster jab 6 months after the second dose, since this is apparently when immunity begins to wane.
This year they are also encouraging more people here to have a flu vaccine.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:15 pm In the UK we had some trials which demonstrated that mixing vaccines is the most effective way to boost immunity. My first two doses earlier this year were Astra Zennica, and I expect to be given Pfizer for the booster next month. Here we are eligible for the booster jab 6 months after the second dose, since this is apparently when immunity begins to wane.
Looks like we are becoming mutant soon . Dont know if mix can have side effect in the long run . :shrug:
No bashing No gossiping
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

asahi wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:15 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:15 pm In the UK we had some trials which demonstrated that mixing vaccines is the most effective way to boost immunity. My first two doses earlier this year were Astra Zennica, and I expect to be given Pfizer for the booster next month. Here we are eligible for the booster jab 6 months after the second dose, since this is apparently when immunity begins to wane.
Looks like we are becoming mutant soon . Dont know if mix can have side effect in the long run . :shrug:
It's your choice. Personally I would rather protect myself and others.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:46 pm It's your choice. Personally I would rather protect myself and others.
List of withdrawn drugs

just saying…
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I’ve had it. My parents will have theirs soon. The flu jab also.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

asahi wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:15 pm
I'm not expert, but vaccines are not drugs in the sense of penicillin, etc. They work by inducing the body to produce antibodies to target particular cell/viruses/proteins. When you have a new vaccine, whether it's for flu (flu vaccines get changed every year to keep up with variants) or covid, the body will produce more antibodies. Since different vaccines will induce the response in different ways, it may well be useful to use a different vaccine for a booster.

Also, as I understand it, the difficulty we have at present is that the vaccines are not effective at preventing someone being infected by the delta strain (it prevents infection with the original), because the delta variant uses a slightly different protein to bind to cells that it attacks. It's still effective at significantly reducing the severity of the infection, however, as it induces antibodies that can kill the infected cells (as I understand it - I'm not familiar with all the details, but had a chat with an expert a couple of days ago). Presumably boosters will soon have modifications (which understand have already been developed, but not rolled out yet) to make them effective against delta (and other new variants). This is the strategy with flu vaccines.

:heart:
Mike
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:53 am PLEASE not another vaccine topic.
All vaccine discussion should be in one megathread.
Seconded, since some people seem obsessed with this issue at least it would funnel it into one receptacle (of mostly nonsense, probably).

I've had my booster. The evidence is there. Science isn't an opinion contest. Protects onesself and others.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:53 pm Science isn't an opinion contest.
science isn't a sure thing

either
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:10 pm

either
Still vastly more trustworthy in evaluating the efficacy of vaccines than your feelings or opinions.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:27 pm
cappuccino wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:10 pm

either
Still vastly more trustworthy in evaluating the efficacy of vaccines than your feelings or opinions.
until it’s not