Sticky Thread Request

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
shuka

Sticky Thread Request

Post by shuka »

Can we have a sticky thread in Shrine Room sub-forum for reading about monks who observe Vinaya properly. The rotten ones and scandals cast a shadow upon probably many unknown bhikkhus keeping Vinaya, Sila in letter and spirit and doing wholesome deeds. Posts like the one below shared by Ontheway can be collected in a mega thread. I think it will inspire followers to have faith in the Dhamma and offer dana to good monks, nuns and orgs.
Ontheway wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:03 pm
This Venerable monk became a sensation in Thai media last year, for he refused to take money donation, receive only food and water within permissible time, and go on for Dhutanga practices, something Thai local monks don't usually do.

http://www.thousandreason.com/post10104831024497
retrofuturist

Re: Sticky Thread Request

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings shuka,

If you start a topic on that, and if it gets enough traction to warrant it, remind me and we'll sticky it.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

shuka wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:48 am Can we have a sticky thread in Shrine Room sub-forum for reading about monks who observe Vinaya properly. The rotten ones and scandals cast a shadow upon probably many unknown bhikkhus keeping Vinaya, Sila in letter and spirit and doing wholesome deeds. Posts like the one below shared by Ontheway can be collected in a mega thread. I think it will inspire followers to have faith in the Dhamma and offer dana to good monks, nuns and orgs.
Ontheway wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:03 pm
This Venerable monk became a sensation in Thai media last year, for he refused to take money donation, receive only food and water within permissible time, and go on for Dhutanga practices, something Thai local monks don't usually do.

http://www.thousandreason.com/post10104831024497
Here's the Vinaya. You judge.

1. Sekhiya 23 [24]

I will not go [sit] with my head covered in inhabited areas: a training to be observed.
Covered here means covered with a robe, a scarf, or other similar piece of cloth. Sk 24 does not apply when one is sitting in one’s residence in an inhabited area. The allowance for “one who is ill” under both rules means that one may cover one’s head when the weather is unbearably cold or the sun unbearably hot.”

Excerpt From: Thanissaro Bhikkhu. “The Buddhist Monastic Code, Volumes I & II”. Apple Books.

2. “A bhikkhu entering an inhabited area, though, should not spread out his outer robe to sit on (Cv.VIII.4.3) and, unless he is ill, should not wear footwear—shoes, sandals, boots, etc.—(Mv.V.12)”

Excerpt From: Thanissaro Bhikkhu. “The Buddhist Monastic Code, Volumes I & II”. Apple Books.

Maybe we can be generous to say the weather is too hot.

It's not easy to get posts on well practised monks. Basically, the person most qualified to post such things are people who live with such monks for long periods of time in the monasteries. Which sometimes includes limited internet. Those who are well practised, generally might not want to advertise themselves as such. The common thing we can hear is that we take the Vinaya seriously in this monastery. The standards is as the Buddha's standards. No money, try to keep all the rules, including Sekhiya ones. If not, someone will admonish you.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

True, we need to associate with that particular monk if we wanted to know if he is living according to Vinaya or not.

But hey, who are we to judge? We are still laymen with five precepts. A safest bet would be treat them all as a mere symbol representative of 'Sangha'. Only those who attained Magga - Phala we are taking refuge in.

And again, much more difficult even if a monk followed well Vinaya rules, yet succumbed to Wrong Views. Perhaps we layperson is better to be remained "Upekkha" to all monastics.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

We are still laymen with five precepts.
I still have not met one single Buddhist layperson who observes the five precepts!
But hey, who are we to judge?
Agree.
However, we should discuss if we believe someone spreads Adhamma.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SDC

Post by SDC »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:04 am Greetings shuka,

If you start a topic on that, and if it gets enough traction to warrant it, remind me and we'll sticky it.

Metta,
Paul. :)
Topic like this’ll get about as much traction as a greased bowling shoe. :hello:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3