What You Might Not Know about Jhāna & Samādhi by Kumāra Bhikkhu

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Coëmgenu

Re: What You Might Not Know about Jhāna & Samādhi by Kumāra Bhikkhu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Joe.c wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:12 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:45 pm No, I didn't personally make this up. Yes, I know this to be true based on more than speculation.

Whether the Buddha taught what is in the Visuddhimagga or didn't teach what is in the Visuddhimagga is irrelevant with regards to this fact.

Try to be more relevant with your next round of prapañca.
Good luck. Like I said you are just repeating what you heard and learned blindly from others.
You are reacting blindly to some statement that exists only in your own head.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

It's interesting, isn't it, that people can get unpeaceful talking over a peaceful thing?
Vivekananda

Post by Vivekananda »

mikenz66 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:07 pm Here is some useful discussion of the disagreements over Jhāna by Bhikkhu Dhammananado:
Dhammanando wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:23 am
nirodh27 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:26 amWhat strikes me the most is that it seems to me that no sides acknowledges that both interpretations are actually possibile and have their strenghts and that the matter, and this is very unfortunate because I think everyone wants to know exactly how to practice in the way the Buddha prescribed 2500 years ago, cannot be decided only by sutta references.
As the disagreement doesn't involve any difference of opinion over how the preliminary practice of samatha-bhāvanā is to be carried out, one always has the option of just going ahead with the work while maintaining an agnostic stance on the contested questions about what jhāna is like.
nirodh27 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:26 amIt would be very interesting to read the Sylvester - Frankk debate, I hope that someone can link that.
Here are links to a few of the threads. I'm afraid some are rather lengthy, but you can save time by skipping all the ill-informed posts from the Vimalaramsi and Brasington followers and just attending to the posts of Sylvester, Sujāto and Brahmali (in effect representing the Theravada position as it was at the time of the Third Council), and those of Frank and Silence (in effect representing the position taken at the same council by the Pubbaseliya school).

As at the Third Council, both sides believe their position to be the correct reading of the suttas and neither side is basing its case on later works like the Visuddhimagga. Unfortunately one of the two Pubbaseliya posters (yes, I mean you, Frank!) insists on begging the question by calling his own view "the straight EBT interpretation", and poisoning the well (and begging the question) by dubbing his opponents' view "the revised Visuddhimagga interpretation".

Hearing sounds in jhāna

Vitakka and vicāra (jhāna factors)

Pīti, sukha, kāya in jhāna: mental, physical, or both?

Can you hear sound and feel body in jhāna?

EBTs which indicate the experience of the body disappears while meditating?

‘parisuddhena cetasā pariyodātena’ and ‘citte parisuddhe pariyodāte’

And if your enthusiasm hasn't waned after the above, you'll probably find a few more with google:

google search
Sādhu,Sādhu,Sādhu!
Abroisa, alchemical gold, the true philosopher's stone!
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

I'd like to propose closing this thread.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Kumara wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:48 pm It's interesting, isn't it, that people can get unpeaceful talking over a peaceful thing?
The problem is thinking and talking about wanting peace rather than simply experiencing it!
Give peace a chance.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,
Kumara wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:34 am I'd like to propose closing this thread.
Given it's your topic (sort of) that seems fair enough.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."