Yellow Page Teachings - Ajahn Jayasāro

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Alino

Re: Yellow Page Teachings - Ajahn Jayasāro

Post by Alino »

=The power of familiarity=

"One of the great underrated powers in the world is the power of familiarity. Humain beings can feel undifferent in the presence of great beauty or great horror, merely because they have seen it many times before. People completely unmoved by cruel violence are not monsters. They are simply used to what they see and do.

By allowing ourselves to get used to things, life may become a little more peaceful. But it is a false peace, one gained by giving up part of what makes us truly humain.

Fools seek to escape the tyranny of the familiar by constantly searching for new experiences, and are thus forever restless and dissatisfied. The wise keep re-establishing awareness in the present moment. By doing so they retain an ever-fresh appreciation of experience. The peace that they realise is not the result of a dulling of the faculties, but a deep understanding of the way things are."

Ajahn Jayasāro
Attachments
YPT - 2022.04.16.jpg
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Alino wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:36 am =The power of familiarity=

"One of the great underrated powers in the world is the power of familiarity. Humain beings can feel undifferent in the presence of great beauty or great horror, merely because they have seen it many times before. People completely unmoved by cruel violence are not monsters. They are simply used to what they see and do.

By allowing ourselves to get used to things, life may become a little more peaceful. But it is a false peace, one gained by giving up part of what makes us truly humain.
That reminds me of a passage from Doktor Faustus, by Thomas Mann. He is talking about the death-agony of a disabled child:

"The typical 'hydrocephalic shriek', against which only the physician, precisely because he knows it is typical, is tolerably armed. The typical leaves one calm, only what we think of as individual puts us beside ourselves. Science is calm."

Thank you again for posting these, Alino. This time last week I had the privilege of listening to one of Ajahn Jayasaro's talks in person, and the impact is still resonating. If I can find a recording, I'll post it here. :anjali:
Alino

Post by Alino »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:23 am
Alino wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:36 am =The power of familiarity=

That reminds me of a passage from Doktor Faustus, by Thomas Mann. He is talking about the death-agony of a disabled child:

"The typical 'hydrocephalic shriek', against which only the physician, precisely because he knows it is typical, is tolerably armed. The typical leaves one calm, only what we think of as individual puts us beside ourselves. Science is calm."

Thank you again for posting these, Alino. This time last week I had the privilege of listening to one of Ajahn Jayasaro's talks in person, and the impact is still resonating. If I can find a recording, I'll post it here. :anjali:
It's a pleasure for me Dear Sam Vara 😊🙏
Indeed Venerable Ajahn Cittaviro said me that there was a Q&A session with Venerable Ajahn Jayasaro recently at Chithurst !
But i can't find the video :(

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Alino wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:05 pm Indeed Venerable Ajahn Cittaviro said me that there was a Q&A session with Venerable Ajahn Jayasaro recently at Chithurst !
But i can't find the video :(
Yes, that's what I'm looking for! Someone had set up a camera, but nothing has been uploaded yet. I'll ask around....
Alino

Post by Alino »

=Anger=

"There is something about anger that makes it seem the most appropriate reaction to behaviour or events that are cruel, cruelly stupid or stupidly cruel. Anger seems to be an emotion that offers us a fuel to maintain the motivation to oppose injustice and oppression. It appears to be the only alternative to sinking into submission and despair. Feeling angry is seen as the proof that we care.

But whatever its cause, anger is always a mistake. It is rooted in a mistaken view of why and how things happen. It provokes actions which sometimes produce a short-term gains, but always lead to serious long-term losses. Anger eats way at much which is good within us.

Anger trusts us into the trap of black-and-white thinking, into feeding the very ideas of 'us' and 'them' which are major causes of any conflict. Lasting solutions to complex problems are found by minds free from bias, and with the clarity and patience to fully comprehend the web of causes and conditions that prevail. An angry mind is too coarse to contemplate anything but how to inflict maximum pain on the current enemy."

Ajahn Jayasāro
Attachments
YPT - 2022.04.19.jpg

sunnat

Post by sunnat »

:anjali:

answers to many questions
Alino

Post by Alino »

=Untrustworthy people=

Untrustworthy people retreat from their lies step-by-step:

"It is absolutely untrue. I feel insulted that you could think this of me."
"It is not true. How many more times do I need to repeat this?"
"Yes, well, true, but only to a very limited degree."
"I am sorry to say that it is true, but it in no way reflects who I really am."

The sneaky mind can come up with a hundred ways to put a more positive spin on its behaviour:

"It was just once. One single time."
"I've hardly ever done it. Very rarely."
"I'am only humain."
"Anybody in my position would have been tempted."
"In fact, I've done it a lot less than many other people."
"I've done so many good things. Why is nobody talking about them?"
"Actually, compared to all the good things I've done, this is nothing."
"It's time to move on."

People with integrity take responsibility for their actions. They apologies for the hurt they have caused without reservation. They say, "Please tell me what you want me to do to make amends."

Ajahn Jayasāro
Attachments
YPT - 2022.04.23.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

=Other realms=

"The Buddha often emphasized that his teaching about the various realms of existence were not based on common beliefs or philosophical tenets, but on direct experience. He would say, for example, that he was able to reveal how different volitional actions of body, speech and mind lead to rebirth in various heaven or hell realms from 'having known it myself, seen it myself, observed it myself'. He considered it vital that his disciples place confidence in the existence of other realms.

The Buddha did not, however, demand blind faith in this matter. Indeed, his criticism of the faults inherent in blind faith are found throughout the discourses. The Buddha did, though, encourage the cultivation of a confidence to be based, initially, upon trust in his wisdom and compassion. The importance he gave to the acceptance of the existance of other realms may be seen from its inclusions in Right View, the first component of the Eightfold Path. The conclusion to be drawn here is that without the acceptance of other realms, at least as working hypothesis, a practitioner's understanding of the law of kamma will never be profound enough to support a practice that culminates in liberation."

Ajahn Jayasāro
Attachments
YPT - 2022.04.26.jpg

mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Alino wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:43 am ... may be seen from its inclusions in Right View..."
It's not that the Buddha invented Right view. Right view is part of nature, it's there, whether we know it or not, whether there is a Buddha discovering it or not. Understanding that there is this world and also another world is correct because it is the truth. This is not something built up by a Perfectly Enlightened One.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Alino

Post by Alino »

=Kamma=

'Kamma' means intentional action.
Deliberatly treading on an ant is bad kamma. Unintentionally doing so is not. Deliberately telling a lie is bad kamma. Saying something untrue, believing it to be true is not.

Deliberately dwelling upon plans to inflict suffering on somebody is bad kamma. Experiencing a cruel thought arise and pass away in the mind is not.

Headlessness is a grey area. Consider someone who drives their car after drinking alcohol and hits a dog. It true that they do not create the bad kamma of deliberately killing another living being. They do however, make the bad kamma of deciding to drive while not in full command of their faculties, and thus recklessly endangering self and others.

The Buddha taught that the essence of kamma is intention. The more we cultivate a moment-by-moment awareness of intention the more we are able to avoid bad kamma and make good kamma. The more good kamma we make lighter and brighter our mind becomes.

When the mind has been sufficiently nourished by good kamma, it will have the maturity needed to fully comprehend the nature of the person we assume is creating that kamma. It is here that the path to liberation reveals itself.

Ajahn Jayasāro
Attachments
YPT - 2022.04.30.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

=Old kamma (Vipāka)=

"Every act of kamma (volitional action), no matter how insignificant, has consequences for our physical, moral and spiritual well-being. Unwholesome kamma, motivated by defilement, lead to an increase in suffering. Wholesome kamma, motivated by virtue, leads to a decrease of suffering, and ultimately to liberation. We create who we are in the present moment and the future with the kamma that we create.

The results of the kamma that we have created in the past, both in this life and in previous lives, is called 'vipāka'. It is often reffered to informally as 'old kamma'. The Buddha strongly refuted the idea that our lives are determined by old kamma. Vipāka is not fate or destiny. If it were there could be no eight-fold path, no liberation, no Buddhism. Old kamma does not determine our lives but, until we realise the fruits of Dhamma practice, it conditions it to one degree or another.

Old kamma may be seen clearly in our default reactions. People who have fed their anger, for example, will experience anger as their automatic reaction to certain triggers. Replacing an automatic angry reaction with a mindfull anger-free response is not easy. It takes time and patience and consistent effort. But it can be done. Eventually, all kammic obstacles can be transcended through Buddhist training. This conviction is central to our faith in the Triple Gem.

Ajahn Jayasāro
Attachments
YPT - 2022.05.03.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

=Shinning a light=

"Usually, when we shine light on an object we see it more clearly. But sometimes the light shows us that our perceptions were mistaken. In fact, we were looking at something quite different from what we assumed to be the case. Every now and again we discover that the snake lying across the road is a lenght of rope, or the lenght of rope a snake. Through meditation we learn how to shine a light on our experience. As a result some things, like the ugliness of anger and the beauty of kindness, become much clearer to us. As a result our values and priorities change. Other things, clearly illuminated, now seem insubstential. Most important of these is the perception of self. That which we formely perceived to be solid and dependable, the locus and owner of experience, is seen to be none of those things. We find instead a conditioned flow of physical and mental phenomena.

Consider considering meditation in this way : not as the application of technique in order to gain a particular result but a means of shining a light on the body and mind, and of learning from what we see."

Ajahn Jayasāro
7/5/65
Attachments
YPT - 2022.05.07.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

Alino

Post by Alino »

=Our projections on others=

"When I first entered the monastery, I was inspired by a certain young monk. He seemed to me to embody the monastic virtues of patience, diligence, restraint, kindness, gentleness and calm that I much admired.

One day I was shocked to discover that the monk has disrobed. I later learned that what I had assumed to be his modesty and calm were, in fact, shyness and insecurity. His mind had beed filled with doubt and confusion. For him, every day in the monastery had beed a struggle. I realised how much I had projected onto him. My desire for a good role model had blinded me to the monk's pain.

Experiences like this, when we are shown how wrong we have been about somebody, are important learning opportunities. Reflecting on them we gain insight into the ways in which our desires and fears, hopes and expectations, influence our perceptions of those around us. Recognising the arising and passing away of mental states in meditation lies at the heart of our Dhamma practice. But it is also important to investigate how, in the absence of awareness, these mental states condition our conduct and relationships in the world."

Ajahn Jayasāro
10/5/22
Attachments
YPT - 2022.05.10.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

=Four Noble Truths=

"Sitting under a Bodhi tree in northeast India, more than 2,500 years ago, the Buddha realised the true nature of all existence, and the means necessary to accomplish that realization. In summarising his enlightenment he spoke of identifying Four Noble (or Ennobling) Truths and the duties that must be carried out with regard to each one. He said that it was in the awareness that he had carried out these duties perfectly that he knew himself to be Buddha.

There is dukkha. It is to be fully comprehended.
There is a cause of dukkha. It is to be abandoned.
There is cessation of dukkha. It is to be realized.
There is a path leading to the cessation of dukkha. It is to be followed.

The Buddha did not give us a list of dogmas to believe in. It is in our effort to practice the Eightfold Path in its entirety in order to fully comprehend dukkha, abandon its cause and realize its cessation that we become truly Buddhist."

Ajahn Jayasāro
14/5/22
Attachments
YPT - 2022.05.14.jpg