Yellow Page Teachings - Ajahn Jayasāro

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Alino

Yellow Page Teachings - Ajahn Jayasāro

Post by Alino »

Hello friends 🙏

Since a couple of years now, Venerable Ajahn Jayasāro offer Yellow Page Teachings every tuesday and saturday, so I would like to share them here.

Please discuss, comment and share if you wish 🙏
Forgive me if there is some faults 🙏😑

> here a Telegram group where you can find dated archives since May 2019

https://t.me/ajahnjayasaroyellowpageteachings

May all beings benefit from that compassionate and wise support of Venerable Ajahn to us🙏😑

Today's Yellow Page Teaching:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=Sappurisa=

" 'Sappurisa' is one of the terms used by the Buddha to refer to wise, cultivated people. The seven qualities of sappurisas provide a useful checklist for assessing one's own level of education.

1. They know 'dhamma' : Whether in study or action, they are aware of the relevant principles and natural laws. They are knowledgeable and well-informed. They know the causes needed to produce effects, the methods or techniques needed to achieve success.

2. They know 'attha' : They understand meaning, implications, consequences, results. In any activity, they are aware of their goal and do not lose sight of it.

3. They know themselves : They have an accurate understanding of their strong and weak points, their knowledge and abilities, their virtues and vices. They know where and how to improve.

4. They know moderation : They are sensitive to 'just the right amount, not too much, not too little' in all things, beginning with food, sleep, exercise, wealth, possessions.

5. They know time and place : They know when and under what circumstances it is appropriate to act or speak and when not to. They are neither hasty or tardy.

6. They know groups : They are observant and tactful in the midst of different groups and communities. They know how to relate appropriately and how to adapt when necessary.

7. They know individuals : They have an accurate understanding of the personalities, abilities, virtues and vices of those around them, how to best communicate with them, how to learn from them or teach them."

Ajahn Jayasāro 18.12.21
Attachments
IMG-20211218-WA0001.jpg
Last edited by Alino on Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Ontheway

Re: Yellow Page Teachings - Ajahn Jayasāro

Post by Ontheway »

Privet. Ura !!!!

The Telegram group is all Russian language. Got English group? 😅
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Alino

Post by Alino »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:48 am Privet. Ura !!!!

Privet !🙏😁

I have just created a new one, English. (I changed the link)

I will share all archives in chronologic order that I have (since May 2019), but I could not transcribe them in text (as there is about 250 Pages now...), but if someone is willing to transcribe them in text - he is welcome 🙏😊

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Alino wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:00 am

Privet !🙏😁

I will share all archives in chronologic order that I have (since May 2019), but I could not transcribe them in text (as there is about 250 Pages now...), but if someone is willing to transcribe them in text - he is welcome 🙏😊
:anjali: Thank you. Спасибо за помощь. :anjali:

I think I will just join both groups (could you share the Russian group link too?). Maybe I can learn some Russian Dhamma terms from there too.

Previously I learned Russian a bit (thinking want to learn the language, lol after listening 'Soviet Union Anthem', 'The Sacred War', 'Let's go!' (my fav during cardio :jumping: ), 'Katyusha', thought the language is very cool... :rofl: , but it is really hard to master the pronunciation.

Thanks for sharing Ajahn Jayasaro's teachings.
Last edited by Ontheway on Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Alino

Post by Alino »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:26 am
Alino wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:00 am

Privet !🙏😁

:anjali: Thank you. Спасибо за помощь. :anjali:

I think I will just join both groups (could you share the Russian group link too?). Maybe I can learn some Russian Dhamma terms from there too.

Previously I learned Russian a bit (thinking want to learn the language, after listening 'Soviet Union Anthem', 'The Sacred War', 'Let's go!' (my fav during cardio :jumping: ), 'Katyusha', thought the language is very cool... :rofl: ), but it is really hard to master of pronunciation.

Thanks for sharing Ajahn Jayasaro's teachings.
🙏😊
https://t.me/yellowpageteachingsajahnjayasaro

Alino

Post by Alino »

=A single-engine plane=

"An old joke. Two friends, Jay and Joe are sitting in a four-engined plane when it is shaken by an explosion on one of the wings. Almost immediately, they hear the pilot's reassuring voice on the intercom. He says that one of the engines is now out of the order. There's nothing to worry about but unfortunately it will mean that they arrival will be delayed by an hour or so. A few minutes later, there is a second explosion and a second calming announcement with a new amended arrival time. Before long there is a third explosion and a third announcement. A worried Jay turns to Joe, "I hope there aren't any more explosions or it's going to be really late before we land."

In itself, the explosion of the fourth engine would be no different than that of the previous three. But the result would be vastly different.

Through meditation, we wake up to the way things are. We see that this life, this world we are living in, is running on the single fourth engine.

We can take nothing for granted."

Ajahn Jayasāro 21.12.21
Attachments
IMG-20211221-WA0000.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

=Give=

"Give kind actions
Give kind speech
Give kind thoughts
Give your time
Give your knowledge
Give comfort
Give encouragement
Give feedback
Give respect
Give forgiveness
Give your truth,
humbly."

Ajahn Jayasāro 25.12.21
Attachments
IMG-20211225-WA0000.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

=Better is to live one day wise=

"Verses from the Dhammapada

"111. Better it is to live one day wise and meditative than to live hundred years foolish and uncontrolled.
112. Better it is to live one day energetic and resolute than to live hundred years sluggish and dissipate.
113. Better it is to live one day seeing the rise and fall of things than to live a hundred years without seeing rise and fall.
114. Better it is to live one day seeing the Deathless than to live a hundred years without ever seeing the Dethless."

Whatever the struggles and challenges on the Bouddha's Path, it is a hundred times, a thousand times better than never having discovered the Path."

Ajahn Jayasāro 28.12.21
Attachments
IMG-20211228-WA0000.jpg

pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Capture.JPG
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Alino

Post by Alino »

Alino

Post by Alino »

=2022=

"2. Two virtues that protect the world.
1) Hiri : viewing bad kamma as shamefull as excreting in the middle of the marketplace.
2) Ottappa : viewing bad kamma as frightening as grabbing hold of poisonous snake.

0. A refuge from the madness of the world.
Samadhi : the coolness of zero after the exhausting ups and downs, additions and subtractions, of thoughts and emotions.

2. Two virtues that create beauty and grace.
1) Khanti : forbearance, patience.
2) Soracca : calm and modest demeanour.

2. Two virtues of great assistance.
1) Sati : mindfulness, remembering what needs to be remembered, bearing in mind what needs to be borne in mind.
2) Sampajañña : clear comprehension of what is borne in mind by sati ; unbiased awareness of context, aim, suitability.

Wishing you all a fruitfull 2022."

Ajahn Jayasāro 01.01.2022
Attachments
IMG-20220101-WA0004.jpg

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Alino wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:37 am =2022=

"2. Two virtues that protect the world.
1) Hiri : viewing bad kamma as shamefull as excreting in the middle of the marketplace.
2) Ottappa : viewing bad kamma as frightening as grabbing hold of poisonous snake.

0. A refuge from the madness of the world.
Samadhi : the coolness of zero after the exhausting ups and downs, additions and subtractions, of thoughts and emotions.

2. Two virtues that create beauty and grace.
1) Khanti : forbearance, patience.
2) Soracca : calm and modest demeanour.

2. Two virtues of great assistance.
1) Sati : mindfulness, remembering what needs to be remembered, bearing in mind what needs to be borne in mind.
2) Sampajañña : clear comprehension of what is borne in mind by sati ; unbiased awareness of context, aim, suitability.

Wishing you all a fruitfull 2022."

Ajahn Jayasāro 01.01.2022
:goodpost:

Good advice as always...
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Just sharing here, Ajahn Jayasaro's book:
MINDFULNESS PRECEPTS & CRASHING IN THE SAME CAR

Free download online:
https://holybooks.com/mindfulness-prece ... aro/?amp=1
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Alino

Post by Alino »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:23 pm Just sharing here, Ajahn Jayasaro's book:
MINDFULNESS PRECEPTS & CRASHING IN THE SAME CAR

Free download online:
https://holybooks.com/mindfulness-prece ... aro/?amp=1
Thank you 🙏🙏🙏😊

Alino

Post by Alino »

=Easy to admonish=

"Being easy to admonish, easy to talk to, genuinely open to well-intentioned feedback is an essential virtue that few people develop. But without it we struggle to make consistent progress, because we are not very good at self-assessment. A mundane exemple: it has been shown in many studies while people who multitask often feel they are being more productive, in fact their productivity decreases both in quantity and quality. A main reason for their mistaken perception is the lack of control group or objective external measurement to provide feedback. Another reason is that doing anything a lot encourages us to believe, independant of our actual performance, that we have become good at it. We mistake familiarity with skill.

Poor students often overestimate their abilities because they are unaware of all that they don't yet know. Their confidence depends on them not seeking out dis-confirming facts or arguments. They do not welcome feedback. Good students, on the other hand, focus on what they don't yet know, and have not yet mastered. Their genuine love of learning fosters humility and openness to feedback.

The Buddha taught that 'suvaca', being easy to admonish, able to accept feedback with appreciation and grace, is one of life's highest blessings."

Ajahn Jayasāro 04.01.22
Attachments
IMG-20220104-WA0000.jpg