Yellow Page Teachings - Ajahn Jayasāro

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Alino

Re: Yellow Page Teachings - Ajahn Jayasāro

Post by Alino »

=Dukkha=

"The meaning of dukkha as one of the three characteristics of existence is different from that of dukkha as a Noble Truth.

In the Three Characteristics, dukkha refers to the inherent instability of all impermanent conditioned phenomena.

In the Four Noble Truths, dukkha refers to the experience of the unenlightened mind. This mind habitually reacts to an inner and outer world charaterized by impermanence and instability with craving and attachment. Here, dukkha is the sense of lack, incompletion, hollowness, unsatisfactoriness inseperable from a life founded upon such reactions.

Dukkha in the 'tilakkhana' is unaffected by the appearance of a Buddha. It is woven into the very fabric of existence. Dukkha as a Noble Truth, on the other hand, can be completely eliminated through practice of the Buddha's teaching."

Ajahn Jayasāro
17/5/22
Attachments
YPT - 2022.05.17.jpg
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Alino

Post by Alino »

=Digging through a mountain=

"Sometimes Dhamma practice feels like it is making life darker and heavier rather brighter and lighter. If so, it can be a warning that you've lost your way. Your practice has become hijacked by the craving to get, to be, to become. It's time for a change of attitude. Time to let the aspiration to let go of all that imprisons you wash away the self-centered striving.

But there is another darkness. It is the growing darkness surrounding those who are digging through a mountain of defilement. As they dig ever deeper into the mountain, the light they formely lived by shrinks and fades. Doubts may arise. They don't know how wide the mountain is, and how much of it remains.

The great teachers say, 'Be patient. Keep digging. If you persevere, you will break through. The hole will become a tunnel. Everything will become illuminated. Be patient.'"

Ajahn Jayasāro
21/5/22
Attachments
YPT - 2022.05.21.jpg

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Alino

Post by Alino »

= Inner dictators =

"As I grew up absorbed the ideas of thinking for myself and questioning authority. I assumed that the authorities that needed to be constantly questioned were political, economic, religious, cultural. It was when I discovered Buddhism that I realized that there is another powerful authority, in many respects the most powerful of all. I learnt how our lives are most oppressed and impoverished by the defilements within our own mind.

There are many inner dictators who in every country of the world are slavishly followed, without question. They include Greed, Aversion and Belief. The devotion to these dictators crosses all political boundaries and social classes.

I gained a conviction as a teenage Buddhist that has stayed with me to this day. It is only by incorporating the Buddha's path to wisdom, compassion and inner freedom, that any effort to improve the quality of life of beings in the world will achieve long-lasting, sustainable result."

Ajahn Jayasāro
24/5/22
Attachments
YPT - 2022.05.24.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

= Martial arts =

"The discourses of the great teachers in the Thai Forest tradition often included martial imagery. Defilements are referred to as our bitter enemies, cruel, cunning and unscrupulous. The meditator has to kill them or at least - to use a boxing metaphor - knock them right out of the ring.

This way of talking about practice is understandable given that the audiences were almost monks in the prime of life. The image of the spiritual warrior is a potent one for young men. For some years I was one of these young men and was suitably inspired.

However, as time has passed I have come to look on defilements in a slightly different way. I now see the value of investigating the way in which the more stubborn defilements seem to answer the some deep needs within us. If we are engaged in a war, it is a civil war, and we have loved ones on both sides.

We need to identify what the need is that the defilement appears to meet. How can that need be abandoned, outflanked or remplaced? This kind of investigation does not replace samādhi practice. It complements it."

Ajahn Jayasāro
28/5/22
Attachments
YPT - 2022.05.28.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

= Kataññū and Katavedī =

"The Buddha referred to the virtues of kataññū and katavedī as indicators of a good and noble mind.

Kataññū means never forgetting or gownplaying the acts of kindness and benevolence from which we have benefited, no matter how small. It means fully appreciating the value of those acts. It includes reflecting on the huge number of good and kind actions which take place in the world every day and show a way beyond its horrors.

Katavedī means seeking to honour acts of kindness and benevolence, especially those that have benefited us directly. We do this by not taking what we have received for granted but by relating to it in the most fitting way. This includes expressing appreciation to our benefactors through speech when appropriate, but most essentially through our actions. It means making best use of all that we have received to do good things with our life. It means upholding and modeling in our turn the principles of kindness and benevolence."

Ajahn Jayasāro
31/5/22
Attachments
YPT - 2022.05.31.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

= The best way to reveal defilements =

"In order to let go of defilements we have to see them, and see them without any sense of ownership or identification with them.

The best way to reveal defilements in our mind is by trying to sustain attention on the wholesome mental states that directly oppose them.

Nothing reveals our addiction to pointless mental activity as clearly as the effort to sustain mindfulness of the breath.
Nothing reveals our addiction to the body and its pleasures as clearly as contemplating the body's unattractive features (asubha).
Nothing reveals our addiction to grudges and resentment and general negativity as clearly as mettā meditation.
Nothing reveals our complacency and negligence as clearly as meditation on death.

The deluded mind tends to turn it's back on defilements or seek to justify them or even claims them to be good things. Meditators want the truth rather than a comfort blanket. They subject their mind to a training which exposes the defilements as impermanent, conditioned phenomena that sully the mind. They apply skilful means to let go of those defilements without regret."

Ajahn Jayasāro
4/6/2022
Attachments
YPT - 2022.06.04.jpg

Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Alino wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:39 am Hello friends 🙏

Since a couple of years now, Venerable Ajahn Jayasāro offer Yellow Page Teachings every tuesday and saturday, so I would like to share them here.

Please discuss, comment and share if you wish 🙏
Forgive me if there is some faults 🙏😑

> here a Telegram group where you can find dated archives since May 2019

https://t.me/ajahnjayasaroyellowpageteachings

May all beings benefit from that compassionate and wise support of Venerable Ajahn to us🙏😑

Today's Yellow Page Teaching:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=Sappurisa=

" 'Sappurisa' is one of the terms used by the Buddha to refer to wise, cultivated people. The seven qualities of sappurisas provide a useful checklist for assessing one's own level of education.

1. They know 'dhamma' : Whether in study or action, they are aware of the relevant principles and natural laws. They are knowledgeable and well-informed. They know the causes needed to produce effects, the methods or techniques needed to achieve success.

2. They know 'attha' : They understand meaning, implications, consequences, results. In any activity, they are aware of their goal and do not lose sight of it.

3. They know themselves : They have an accurate understanding of their strong and weak points, their knowledge and abilities, their virtues and vices. They know where and how to improve.

4. They know moderation : They are sensitive to 'just the right amount, not too much, not too little' in all things, beginning with food, sleep, exercise, wealth, possessions.

5. They know time and place : They know when and under what circumstances it is appropriate to act or speak and when not to. They are neither hasty or tardy. :anjali: :anjali: :anjali: : :anjali: :anjali: anjali :anjali: :

6. They know groups : They are observant and tactful in the midst of different groups and communities. They know how to relate appropriately and how to adapt when necessary.

7. They know individuals : They have an accurate understanding of the personalities, abilities, virtues and vices of those around them, how to best communicate with them, how to learn from them or teach them."

Ajahn Jayasāro 18.12.21
:anjali: :anjali:
Alino

Post by Alino »

= Sense of urgency =

"On one occasion the Buddha related how Araka, a teacher in the distant past, would inspire a sense of urgency in his disciples. Araka would do this, he said, by means of a number of rousing similes.

Just as a dew drop on the tip of a blade of grass will quickly vanish at sunrise, even so is human life like a dew drop.

Just as when the rain falls in thick drops, bubbles created on water quickly vanish, even so is human life like a water bubble.

Just as a line drawn in water with a stick will quickly vanish, even so is human life like a line drawn in water.

Just as a mountain stream, swiftly flowing, carrying along much jetsam, will not be still even for a fraction of a moment, but will rush ever onward in a swirling mass, even so is human life like a mountain stream.

Just as a strong man might form a lump of spittle at the end of his tongue and spit it out with ease, even so is human life like a lump of spittle.

Just as a peace of meat thrown onto an iron plate heated all day will quickly burn up, even so is human life like this peace of meat.

Just as for a cow being led to slaughter, every movement of its limbs takes it closer to death, even so is human life like a cow doomed to slaughter.

Having listed all of Araka's similes, the Buddha added a stunning peace of information, 'But at that time, O monks, the human lifespan was 60,000 years.'"

Ajahn Jayasāro
7/6/22
Attachments
YPT - 2022.06.07.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

= Dhamma consumers =

"Feeling powerless and without choices is depressing. But having to many choices can cripple us. When there are a great many options available, fear of making the wrong choice, or of not making the absolute best choice, can mean that we end up making no choices at all.

There are so many Buddhist teachings and traditions to choose from these days. It is wonderful that in the modern world we can gain such easy access to the Dhamma. But that easy access brings with it its own dangers. If we can turn on or turn off the Dhamma with the tap of a screen, we can loose our sense of its preciousness. It can become just one more thing that we watched today, absorbing at the time but then soon submerged beneath all the other things. Rather than taking advantage of technology to be encouraged and challenged and empowered in our practice, we risk becoming mere consumers of Dhamma, accumulators of high-quality clips and links.

The Dhamma challenges us to put the teachings to the test of experiance, with sincerity and consistent, patient effort. By whatever means we receive the Dhamma, let us not forget that its purpose is always to lead us onwards on our path to truth."

Ajahn Jayasāro
11/6/22
Attachments
YPT - 2022.06.11.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

= Mutuality =

"Ajahn Chah would often teach his students : 'If you take care of your precepts, your precepts will take care of you.'

The Buddha taught that if you cultivate mettā for all sentient beings then sentient beings will feel mettā for you. In the sutta it says that one with well-developed mettā 'is loved by both humans and non-humans.'

On another occasion the Buddha said :
Dhamma have rakkhati dhammacārim
Dhamma protects those who practice the Dhamma

These are such simple bedrock statements. I learnt them at the begging of my monastic life and have never doubted them. The older I get the more profound they seem. May they be a refuge to all of my readers too."

Ajahn Jayasāro
14/6/22
Attachments
YPT - 2022.06.14.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

= Relationship with doubt =

"In most academic tests, students can safely trust that all the questions on the exam sheet have answers, and that they possess (providing they have revised well) all the knowledge necessary to answer them.

Outside of the classroom we cannot be sure that the questions facing us are legitimate. They may be wrongly formulated. They may be trivial questions concealing more important issues. They may have no answer at all. We may not have the knowledge we need to answer the questions. Our knowledge can be faulty or incomplete.

We needn't feel oppressed by doubt and uncertainty. They are not enemies to be crushed. They are mental states to be recognised and incorporated in our considerations. The craving to be sure is more of a hindrance than being unsure. A mature relationship with doubt is a fundamental aspect of true humility."

Ajahn Jayasāro
18/6/22
Attachments
YPT - 2022.06.18.jpg

Alino

Post by Alino »

= Beautiful smooth pebbles =

"Last night I had a dream. In the dream I was thinking : "Tomorrow we'll be leaving early and walking in the mountains the most of the day. By the time I'll be free to write Tuesday's teaching it will be late at night in China. Let me compose something now." At that moment a Dhamma reflection appeared in my mind that was very pleasing to me. I smiled with satisfaction.

Then I woke up. I looked through the window at a clear mountain sky full of stars. The memory of the dream arose in my mind with great clarity. I remembered my concern about posting the teaching, and then I realized : I couldn't remember the teaching itself. I giggled.

Then I thought : "Well, starting the day with a giggle is not so bad. The first time, I think, in 64 years. Why don't I write about what just happened?" And so I did.

Then I thought : "But that's not really a teaching, is it?" And then I remembered speaking to a group of young monks : "In the monastery your desires, your views and opinions, your conceit, rubs up against those of your fellow monks again and again. It may not be so peaceful but it is not a bad thing. It's like the stones by the side of a swift mountain stream. Over the course of time they become rubbed into beautiful smooth pebbles. Now you are like jagged rocks. Aspire to be pebbles."

Ajahn Jayasāro
21/6/22
Attachments
YPT - 2022.06.21.jpg

sunnat

Post by sunnat »

That’s a lighthearted story around a deep subject. In my experience it is good to be aware of what arises the next 3 days that may have been hidden for a long time. The dream is followed by feelings, followed by a realisation.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Alino wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:52 am = Beautiful smooth pebbles =

"Last night I had a dream. In the dream I was thinking : "Tomorrow we'll be leaving early and walking in the mountains the most of the day. By the time I'll be free to write Tuesday's teaching it will be late at night in China. Let me compose something now." At that moment a Dhamma reflection appeared in my mind that was very pleasing to me. I smiled with satisfaction.

Then I woke up. I looked through the window at a clear mountain sky full of stars. The memory of the dream arose in my mind with great clarity. I remembered my concern about posting the teaching, and then I realized : I couldn't remember the teaching itself. I giggled.

Then I thought : "Well, starting the day with a giggle is not so bad. The first time, I think, in 64 years. Why don't I write about what just happened?" And so I did.

Then I thought : "But that's not really a teaching, is it?" And then I remembered speaking to a group of young monks : "In the monastery your desires, your views and opinions, your conceit, rubs up against those of your fellow monks again and again. It may not be so peaceful but it is not a bad thing. It's like the stones by the side of a swift mountain stream. Over the course of time they become rubbed into beautiful smooth pebbles. Now you are like jagged rocks. Aspire to be pabbles."

Ajahn Jayasāro
21/6/22
It's pebbles, not pabbles!
Still being a stone here. :tongue:
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Alino

Post by Alino »

pegembara wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:55 am It's pebbles, not pabbles!
Still being a stone here. :tongue:
Oops! Sorry 🙏
Unfortunately i can't modify the post anymore...