How do I find the Dhamma in the next life?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
kenteramin

How do I find the Dhamma in the next life?

Post by kenteramin »

We are here in the human realm not remembering past lives. If I practice the Dhamma, lead a virtuous life but fall short of becoming a sotapanna best case scenario I'll be reborn as a human being or a deva. I know as long as you're not an ariyan there's no guarantee that your practice in this life won't go to waste. Is there a notion of inertia for your dhamma practice? Is there something I can do except for obviously becoming enlightened to make it more probable that I will meet the Dhamma in the next life?
I know that there is kind of a reassurance in the texts for non-realized followers that they won't be born in the lower realms. But it's not good enough, right :). Is there similar reassurance that we probably will meet the Dhamma?
SarathW

Re: How do I find the Dhamma in the next life?

Post by SarathW »

The above Sutta series gives us some assurance even if you not a Sotapanna. Basically, if you understand at least one aspect of Dependent Origination you are assured Sotapanna state in this very life.
https://suttacentral.net/sn25-cakkhuvagga
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34710&p=518646&hil ... ws#p518646
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

I think one can make aspiration after every good deed performed (eg: food donation to Sangha, helping the needy people, feeding the animals, venerate the Triple Gems, meditation, reading/listening to Dhamma, etc.), say that "By the merit I have accumulated, may I always have the opportunity to learn the Buddha Dhamma now and future."

But I think SarathW is correct, attaining Sotapatti Magga Phala is the best way.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
santa100

Post by santa100 »

kenteramin wrote:I know that there is kind of a reassurance in the texts for non-realized followers that they won't be born in the lower realms. But it's not good enough, right :). Is there similar reassurance that we probably will meet the Dhamma?
Well, whether it's good enough or not, the truth of the matter is that the level of "insurance" one gets is directly proportional to the "premium" one needs to put in. Similarly, the level of certainty whether that tree in SN 55.22 will fall toward a certain direction would depend directly on how much of a degree it's leaning toward (ie. one's own personal cultivation and effort):
SN 55.22 wrote:"There is the case where the disciple of the noble ones is endowed with verified confidence in the Awakened One: 'Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed.'

"He/she is endowed with verified confidence in the Dhamma: 'The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One, to be seen here & now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves.'

"He/she is endowed with verified confidence in the Sangha: 'The Sangha of the Blessed One's disciples who have practiced well...who have practiced straight-forwardly...who have practiced methodically...who have practiced masterfully — in other words, the four types of noble disciples when taken as pairs, the eight when taken as individual types — they are the Sangha of the Blessed One's disciples: worthy of gifts, worthy of hospitality, worthy of offerings, worthy of respect, the incomparable field of merit for the world.'

"He/she is endowed with virtues that are appealing to the noble ones: untorn, unbroken, unspotted, unsplattered, liberating, praised by the wise, untarnished, leading to concentration.

"Suppose a tree were leaning toward the east, slanting toward the east, inclining toward the east. When its root is cut, which way would it fall?"

"In whichever way it was leaning, slanting, and inclining, lord."

"In the same way, Mahanama, a disciple of the noble ones, when endowed with four qualities, leans toward Unbinding, slants toward Unbinding, inclines toward Unbinding."
SilaSamadhi8

Post by SilaSamadhi8 »

Practice hard on this one.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

kenteramin wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:56 am Is there similar reassurance that we probably will meet the Dhamma?
this life should be sufficient
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

There is no guarantee that you will without some kind of awakening. That’s what makes now so precious, and the clock is ticking.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
befriend

Post by befriend »

Good question. But you have attained human condition which is almost impossible to attain try to learn and practice Dhamma the best you can I wouldn't believe in having some kind of safety net in the next life to practice. Buddha said do not wonder what will I be in my next life, the quandaries are unanswerable best to make most of this life bhante gunaratana said to let these thoughts arise and pass don't worry about them or follow them come back to your 5 senses and see what you can learn know from direct experience.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Best you can do, as far as i know, if you dont attain stream entry is to make merit and make an Adhiṭṭhāna (resolution) that the merit will allow you to be born in the age Lord Maitreya Buddha and find the Dhamma in his time, as was done by many of the ancient disciples from after the Buddhas time such as Buddhaghosa. Similar to how many of the Buddha's top disciples accumulated merit and made such atthittanas to become a particular disciple of a future Buddha. Imo this is one of the most logical and important things a non-enlightened Buddhist can do.

Pay no heed to the ariya in this life or bust crowd as it is just nonsensical recklessness to eschew merit making and calculated Adhiṭṭhānas in favor of oh im just gonna hit stream entry so i dont need it mentality. It is recklessness on par with students who ditch school to practice thier rapping skills since they say they dont need school since they are "going" :quote: to become rappers when they grow up anyways.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
bodom

Post by bodom »

"If you want to wait around to meet the future Buddha, then just don’t practice. You’ll probably be around long enough to see him when he comes."

- Ajahn Chah
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

bodom wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:11 am
"If you want to wait around to meet the future Buddha, then just don’t practice. You’ll probably be around long enough to see him when he comes."

- Ajahn Chah
:anjali:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

kenteramin wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:56 am How do I find the Dhamma in the next life?
You might find some helpful suggestions from the Buddha in MN 131:
Don’t run back to the past,
don’t hope for the future.
What’s past is left behind;
the future has not arrived;

https://suttacentral.net/mn131/en/sujat ... ript=latin

:anjali:
JohnSo

Post by JohnSo »

Hi.

Why the next life? Why not now?

To be able to be born as human is a very small probability. We have a lot of karma in stock. If our next life is as a Deva or as Peta than we have a long wait.

So do it now when you have the chance.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

We can do good actions and expect a good rebirth or we can practice non-expectation and non-action.
kenteramin wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:56 am ... Is there similar reassurance that we probably will meet the Dhamma?
Keep associating with good friends and you will probably find good friends in the next life and would hear the Dhamma. This is just me saying this, though.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
frank k

Post by frank k »

kenteramin wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:56 am We are here in the human realm not remembering past lives. If I practice the Dhamma, lead a virtuous life but fall short of becoming a sotapanna best case scenario I'll be reborn as a human being or a deva. I know as long as you're not an ariyan there's no guarantee that your practice in this life won't go to waste. Is there a notion of inertia for your dhamma practice? Is there something I can do except for obviously becoming enlightened to make it more probable that I will meet the Dhamma in the next life?
I know that there is kind of a reassurance in the texts for non-realized followers that they won't be born in the lower realms. But it's not good enough, right :). Is there similar reassurance that we probably will meet the Dhamma?

AN 4.191 explains a lot.
If you're serious about this, then keep 8 precepts, pure celibacy, develop jhānas.
The stronger your samādhi, the more your jhāna battery is charged up, then the greater chance you have of retaining your memories clearly after your death.
The more you hurt your jhāna battery, the less chance you have of retaining your memories past death. Even virtuous celibate monastics do that by not doing sufficient physical exercises daily, talking and thinking too much about the Dharma drains the battery as well.

When you see precocious kids, prodigies, geniuses at an early age, it's no accident. If they're mentally swift and sharp, you can almost guarantee they were probably celibate and protected their jhāna batteries in the past portion of their previous life. Cupidity is the leading cause of stupidity. Nothing drains the jhāna battery faster than indulging in sexual and sensual desires, debuaching in the 5 cords of sensual pleasures. Debauchery hurts your mental sharpness right now, you can see it in short term memory loss or fuzziness in memory, so what do you think the prospects of carrying important memories past this life is if you're not protecting your jhāna and sati now? On Buddhist internet forums, I have a pretty good guess of how celibate some participants are based on the level of intelligence and rationality displayed.

Even if you don't have clear memories of your past life, you can have a pretty good guess about what you were like your past lives, because of karmic inertia. That is, the actions we've reinforced the most over many lifetimes, those habits from previous lives, tend to manifest in our personalities now, and are not easy to change as anyone knows from personal experience.

Why do some people take to Christianity so quickly and easily? They have the qualification and disposition for it, probably honed for many lifetimes.
As a kid in elementary school, I went to church with my friends many times, I liked the some aspects of it, the communal feeling of virtue, but in Sunday school they couldn't answer any of my questions on religion and I knew Christianity was not for me.
When I read books on Buddhism as a university student, I took to it easily, understood the main principles in one read.
Too easily to be a coincidence.
Whereas when I read the Bible, I could understand the English words and the sentences, but for the life of me could not make any sense out of the religion.
How did I narrow down which school of Buddhism to choose from, from the massive array of choices? Which one was suitable for me?
It's not a coincidence that I ended up where I am.
I know based on my personality now, I valued critical thinking and had no tolerance for sophistry and deceit in previous lives, and personalities don't change easily or quickly (unless one has really strong samādhi). So you can practically guarantee in my previous life I valued truth and detested sophistry and deceit.

Where do you want to go if we don't attain arahantship in this life?
Remember the lifetime of a deva in a brahma realm is one cosmic aeon.
And out of the millions of Buddha Gotama's disciples who attained stream entry and any ariya status short of an arahant, they're all out there in the deva realms, some of them who were nonreturner 2500 years ago now an arahant, so millions of arahants and ariya from Buddha Gotama's time scattered in the various deva realms.

In this lifetime, if you had all the money in the world, could go anywhere you want, where would you go to live out the rest of your life?
How you answer that, tells you where you're most likely headed.

If you value the genuine word of the Buddha, if that's the most important thing in the world to you, that's where you'll head in your next life too, some community where they value the genuine word of the Buddha. What kind of friends do you let in your inner circle? Those are probably they kind of friends that would help guide you at the time of death (if you need that help, and have the merit from being virtuous).

https://lucid24.org/tped/p/paritta/index.html

excerpt:
AN 10.60 Girimananda and the Raft 🚣, director’s cut

AN 4.191 and AN 10.60

What AN 4.191 talks about, is what happens to virtuous monastics when they die and are reborn in Deva realms. They get infatuated with the pleasures of the Deva realm, and forget about what they learned and practiced as a human monastic. But because of their good karma and association with virtuous spiritual companions, either powerful human monastics with psychic powers communicate with them, or other Devas in their community who remember the Dharma from their human life jog their memory and help them return to the Dharma path.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages