What Causes Rebirth in The Tusita Heaven?Is it Excessive Sila with the Intention of helping Others?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Akashad

What Causes Rebirth in The Tusita Heaven?Is it Excessive Sila with the Intention of helping Others?

Post by Akashad »

Hello,

I was just wondering why the Boddhisatva wasn't born into a higher realm such as the Brahma Realms or even a higher deva loka realm.

I can't help but think that this maybe due to his excessive intention on helping others which became concentrated as a habit therefore when boddhisatvas die they get reborn in tusita heaven.For example charity work,helping others,sacrificing oneself etc.

Compare it to meditators who keep the sila with the intention of keeping the mind undisturbed not necessarily to go out into the world and help others.. they get reborn into brahma realms.

Would it be safe to say then that if you keep the sila and do good with the intention of helping others you get reborn in the tusita heaven?

Thank you.🙏
Ontheway

Re: What Causes Rebirth in The Tusita Heaven?Is it Excessive Sila with the Intention of helping Others?

Post by Ontheway »

Which Bodhisatva you are talking about? :?:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
TRobinson465

Re: What Causes Rebirth in The Tusita Heaven?Is it Excessive Sila with the Intention of helping Others?

Post by TRobinson465 »

Ontheway wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:22 pm Which Bodhisatva you are talking about? :?:
He probably means all (theravada) bodhisattvas b4 their final rebirth as a Supreme Sammasam Buddha.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Akashad wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:30 pm Hello,

I was just wondering why the Boddhisatva wasn't born into a higher realm such as the Brahma Realms or even a higher deva loka realm.

I can't help but think that this maybe due to his excessive intention on helping others which became concentrated as a habit therefore when boddhisatvas die they get reborn in tusita heaven.For example charity work,helping others,sacrificing oneself etc.

Compare it to meditators who keep the sila with the intention of keeping the mind undisturbed not necessarily to go out into the world and help others.. they get reborn into brahma realms.

Would it be safe to say then that if you keep the sila and do good with the intention of helping others you get reborn in the tusita heaven?

Thank you.🙏
Rebirth in the Tusita heaven is due to making merit with the intent to help others. Because bodhisattvas have a pure intention to selflessly help other beings (rather than simply entering nibbana as fast as they can- in the stereotypical nibbana or bust mentality found in western Theravada Buddhism), they are reborn in tusita in the life before they are become Buddhas.
. he gives a gift with the thought, 'I am well-off. These are not well-off. It would not be right for me, being well-off, not to give a gift to those who are not well-off'... on the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of the Contented (Tusita) Devas. Then, having exhausted that action, that power, that status, that sovereignty, he is a returner, coming back to this world.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... than.html
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

There are different causes. I've heard Tibetan lamas say that one needs very pure sila to be reborn in Tusita heaven.

I recently saw that this mahayana sutra on "Maitreya's Birth in the Heaven of Joy" (a.k.a Tushita heaven) was recently published. In it they outline some different causes for going to Tushita heaven in order to serve Maitreya.

It may interest you.

https://read.84000.co/translation/toh199.html

Also, you may find Ven Ajahn Achalo's Dhamma talks helpful. He is interested in Tusita heaven and speaks of it frequently.

Best wishes