How to be reborn into the various realms?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Maarten

How to be reborn into the various realms?

Post by Maarten »

I know breaking precepts will lead to the lower realms, and keeping them leads to the human realm. Having Jhana's and the Brahmaviharas lead to the Brahma realms, but how does one get into the other realms? If someone was aiming for Tavatimsa, or Tusita, etc, how would they go about it?
'Suppose there were a beetle, a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of him. He, because of that, would look down on other beetles: 'Yes, sirree! I am a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of me!' - SN 17.5
santa100

Re: How to be reborn into the various realms?

Post by santa100 »

Maarten wrote:If someone was aiming for Tavatimsa, or Tusita, etc, how would they go about it?
The accesstoinsight's "31 Planes of Existence" link gave pretty good info with backup sutta references on the cause of rebirth into various realms (the third column of the table).
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

The answer lies in this Sutta.

Saṅkhārupapattisutta
https://suttacentral.net/mn120/en/sujat ... ript=latin
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

santa100 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:33 pm
Maarten wrote:If someone was aiming for Tavatimsa, or Tusita, etc, how would they go about it?
The accesstoinsight's "31 Planes of Existence" link gave pretty good info with backup sutta references on the cause of rebirth into various realms (the third column of the table).
Thanks! Now that you post this I remember having asked this question before. I must not have studied it very well. :embarassed:

So rebirth in the deva realms is determined by the intention with which you give. Is that correct?
I've made a little abstract of the article, perhaps you could see if I understood this correctly:
The Immaterial World - Mastery of one of the Jhanas corresponding with this realm.

The Fine-Material World - Mastery of one of the Jhanas corresponding with this realm.

The Sensuous World - 5 precepts, right speech, right view, and abandoning thoughts of covetousness and Ill will
  • Giving in order to get a good rebirth - The Four Great Kings
  • Giving because one believes giving is good - Devas of the Thirty-three
  • Giving out of tradition - Devas of the Hours
  • Giving out of compassion - Contented Devas
  • Giving to emulate holy men - devas who delight in creation
  • Giving because one enjoys it - devas who have power over the creations of others
  • Giving to make the mind more wholesome - Brahma's Retinue
  • No giving - the human realm

The Sensuous World (STATES OF DEPRIVATION) - the absence of the above.
'Suppose there were a beetle, a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of him. He, because of that, would look down on other beetles: 'Yes, sirree! I am a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of me!' - SN 17.5
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Ontheway wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:40 pm The answer lies in this Sutta.

Saṅkhārupapattisutta
Interesting, thank you!
Furthermore, take a mendicant who has faith, ethics, learning, generosity, and wisdom.
Those choices and meditations of theirs developed and cultivated like this, lead to rebirth there. This is the path and the practice that leads to rebirth there.
So if you have 'faith, ethics, learning, generosity, and wisdom' you get to go to whatever realm you cultivated a desire for?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Maarten wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:35 pm

Saṅkhārupapattisutta
Interesting, thank you!
Furthermore, take a mendicant who has faith, ethics, learning, generosity, and wisdom.
Those choices and meditations of theirs developed and cultivated like this, lead to rebirth there. This is the path and the practice that leads to rebirth there.
So if you have 'faith, ethics, learning, generosity, and wisdom' you get to go to whatever realm you cultivated a desire for?
Nothing is guaranteed unless you are a stream-enterer or higher.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Maarten wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:35 pm

Saṅkhārupapattisutta
Interesting, thank you!
The Sutta confirmed it.

But like Ceisiwr said, there is no guarantee for anything. We could overestimate ourselves.

For me, I think it is better just focus on Dhamma practice, be a better person, and putting effort to get rid of defilements.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
befriend

Post by befriend »

I think this sutta is important in the framework of practice and cosmology https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

I agree with you guys. It is better to focus on the practice, which I try to. It's just that I'd prefer not to come back here again. :roll:

So it is nice to have a backup plan. :D
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

I was thinking about how the The Dog-duty Ascetic fits into this. The sutta seems to imply that if one perfectly emulates the behavior of a certain being, one will be reborn as such a being. (On the condition that one also believes this will happen)

Then perhaps the requirements of virtue and generosity for the various realms are just ways of emulating the natural inclinations of those devas?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Maarten wrote:I was thinking about how the The Dog-duty Ascetic fits into this. The sutta seems to imply that if one perfectly emulates the behavior of a certain being, one will be reborn as such a being. (On the condition that one also believes this will happen)
Actually the "condition that one believes this will happen" doesn't affect the outcome of their future rebirth. Afterall, those Dog-duty acetics apparently believed that their strange practice would lead to a much more fortunate/refined rebirths! But just because they believe in something doesn't mean they'll be able to attain their goal. Their practice would inevitably lead them to the dark paths ahead. Fortunately, they met the Buddha and received His instructions on the true Dhamma and the proper way of practice.
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

Maarten wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:25 pm
santa100 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:33 pm
Thanks! Now that you post this I remember having asked this question before. I must not have studied it very well. :embarassed:

So rebirth in the deva realms is determined by the intention with which you give. Is that correct?
I've made a little abstract of the article, perhaps you could see if I understood this correctly:
The Immaterial World - Mastery of one of the Jhanas corresponding with this realm.

The Fine-Material World - Mastery of one of the Jhanas corresponding with this realm.

The Sensuous World - 5 precepts, right speech, right view, and abandoning thoughts of covetousness and Ill will
  • Giving in order to get a good rebirth - The Four Great Kings
  • Giving because one believes giving is good - Devas of the Thirty-three
  • Giving out of tradition - Devas of the Hours
  • Giving out of compassion - Contented Devas
  • Giving to emulate holy men - devas who delight in creation
  • Giving because one enjoys it - devas who have power over the creations of others
  • Giving to make the mind more wholesome - Brahma's Retinue
  • No giving - the human realm

The Sensuous World (STATES OF DEPRIVATION) - the absence of the above.
Thank you..this is so valuable.🙏

I always had the habit of giving but I only realised now thanks to this post that my intention behind it has changed over the years.🙏
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

santa100 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:47 pm
Maarten wrote:I was thinking about how the The Dog-duty Ascetic fits into this. The sutta seems to imply that if one perfectly emulates the behavior of a certain being, one will be reborn as such a being. (On the condition that one also believes this will happen)
Actually the "condition that one believes this will happen" doesn't affect the outcome of their future rebirth. Afterall, those Dog-duty acetics apparently believed that their strange practice would lead to a much more fortunate/refined rebirths! But just because they believe in something doesn't mean they'll be able to attain their goal. Their practice would inevitably lead them to the dark paths ahead. Fortunately, they met the Buddha and received His instructions on the true Dhamma and the proper way of practice.
Ah right, It's been a while since I read the sutta. :smile:
It only matters if they have wrong views of where they are going.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Akashad wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:01 pm Thank you..this is so valuable.🙏

I always had the habit of giving but I only realised now thanks to this post that my intention behind it has changed over the years.🙏
That is nice to hear. I'd love to hear some more about that.

For me, it is a weakness in my practice. Part of the reason is that I never really had all that much to give, but when I do, it's usually out of compassion.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

I like to give to feel like a big shot. :anjali: