Questions Regarding Theravada

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Tennyson

Re: Questions Regarding Theravada

Post by Tennyson »

Never. (in classical Buddhism)
But Puja, Occasionally Paritta, Flower offering is there.

This is interesting. I figured that mala and mantra would have become popular forms of devotional practice for laypersons, similar to some Mahayana traditions which prioritize the generating of samadhi through reciting a mantra or the name of a Buddha. Did those kinds of practices arise after Theravada had made it to Southeast Asia, and is there a reason why they didn't become popular? Were there other schools of Buddhism in those countries alongside Theravada, and did they die out?
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Tennyson wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:05 am
Never. (in classical Buddhism)
But Puja, Occasionally Paritta, Flower offering is there.

This is interesting. I figured that mala and mantra would have become popular forms of devotional practice for laypersons, similar to some Mahayana traditions which prioritize the generating of samadhi through reciting a mantra or the name of a Buddha. Did those kinds of practices arise after Theravada had made it to Southeast Asia, and is there a reason why they didn't become popular? Were there other schools of Buddhism in those countries alongside Theravada, and did they die out?
Such practice is still prevailing in Thailand. For examples, "Buddho" mantra and "Samma-araham" mantra.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Tennyson

Post by Tennyson »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:26 pm
Such practice is still prevailing in Thailand. For examples, "Buddho" mantra and "Samma-araham" mantra.
So are those mantras, or mantras in general, not considered valid forms of generating samadhi? Are they not found in the Pali Canon or commentaries/Abhidhamma?
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Tennyson wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:44 pm
Ontheway wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:26 pm
So are those mantras, or mantras in general, not considered valid forms of generating samadhi? Are they not found in the Pali Canon or commentaries/Abhidhamma?
No. None of these mantras found in either Pali canon or Commentaries. Mind you that Abhidhamma Pitaka is not Atthakatha. Abhidhamma Pitaka is having the same status as Sutta Pitaka and Vinaya Pitaka, preserved through councils and written down during fourth council at Aluvihara. So, it is considered as Pali canon, not commentaries.

Buddho mantra was created in Thailand. Like when you breath in, say Bud-. Breath out, say -dho. Such method not really found in authentic Theravada tradition. Then, Samma-Araham mantra was created by Luang Phor Sod (passed away) in Thailand, which related to Thai amulet stuff พระของขวัญ ปากน้ำ, and also associated with Dhammakaya movement in Thailand. None of these has anything to do with Pali canon or Commentaries.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Tennyson

Post by Tennyson »

Question: what is buddhanusati? Is it a form of meditation? How is it done in Theravada? Can anyone learn it or does it need to be transmitted from a teacher to a student?
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Tennyson wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:56 pm Question: what is buddhanusati?
It is:
The recollection arisen inspired by the Enlightened One is the recollection of
the Buddha. This is a term for mindfulness with the Enlightened One’s special
qualities as its object.
Tennyson wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:56 pm Is it a form of meditation?
Yes.
Tennyson wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:56 pm How is it done in Theravada?
The way it is done is mentioned here: Path of Purification
(CHAPTER VII)
[(1) RECOLLECTION OF THE ENLIGHTENED ONE]
2. [198] Now, a meditator with absolute confidence2
who wants to develop firstly
the recollection of the Enlightened One among these ten should go into solitary
retreat in a favourable abode and recollect the special qualities of the Enlightened
One, the Blessed One, as follows:
That Blessed One is such since he is accomplished, fully enlightened, endowed
with [clear] vision and [virtuous] conduct, sublime, the knower of worlds, the
incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men,
enlightened and blessed (M I 37; A III 285).
3. Here is the way he recollects: “That Blessed One is such since he is
accomplished, he is such since he is fully enlightened, … he is such since he is
blessed”—he is so for these several reasons, is what is meant.
Continued ...
Tennyson wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:56 pm Can anyone learn it or does it need to be transmitted from a teacher to a student?
Anyone can learn and practice it alone.
And it is better if one have the assistance of experienced (genuine) person in Buddhanussati meditaion of Theravada.
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Tennyson wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:49 pm I've been practicing and studying Buddhism for a while, and I've mostly been practicing in an East Asian Mahayana fashion: I sit with a Zen center, I recite sutras in Japanese, and I practice zazen meditation because that's what I've become most familiar with (due to the prominence of Zen in many Americans' understanding of Buddhism). But I'm interested in exploring all kinds of Buddhism, and that includes Theravada. I have a few questions regarding Theravada that I hope you folks could answer.

1. Does Theravada stick to the "roots" of Buddhism? That is, does it adhere more closely to the core tenets of Buddhism--Four Noble Truths, Noble Eightfold Path, anatta, and so on--compared to the other schools?

2. What is it about Theravada that appeals to you compared to the Mahayana schools of Buddhism? What made you choose the Theravada path? And is there an argument for choosing the Theravada schools compared to other schools of Buddhism?

3. If there were one book or volume that comprehensively explained Theravada Buddhism which you would recommend someone who wants to study it, what would that book be? I've been reading and listening to Dhamma talks and translations of a few suttas by Thanissaro Bhikkhu and Bhikkhu Bodhi, and I am interested in maybe purchasing a physical book I can read and look over when I'm offline (not looking down on all the online resources I've encountered, but I do like having a good book to read when offline). I'm also unsure where to start as far as sutta readings are concerned; which should I read first, or is there an order to go in?

I hope these are ok questions to ask in this forum (I am a beginner after all). Have a blessed day. :anjali:
I will answer questions 1 & 2 only bro,
#3 there is so much material to beat a horse ten times over dead, you find what you like.

#1) Absolutely

#2) Theravada monks train harder then any other monks out there. I know this is a generalization, because I know of some BADDD (but baddd I mean good) Mahayana monks who are serious

Honestly, this is my opinion, my whole family is Mahayana and I H8, Mahayana monks

Just a bunch of lazy dudes in my opinion, eating whenever they want, doing little meditation in seclusion, you know in the forest, WAY WAY less rules, every rule the Buddha put was for a reason

Even to walk through alms, you keep your head down to the floor, you do not look at what you got, TRAINING to protect the senses

That is My opinion.

However I will say this, I do not deny the existence of the Mahayana vehicle to lead to deliverance.

Il tell you this. Theravada is like riding the Express Train.

More rules, harder training, but you Get what you Pay for,
This is the ultimate rule in life