Why don't science accept consciousness?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
mikenz66

Re: Why don't science accept consciousness?

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Sarath,

Here are some more links. Please read these carefully and explain what you mean by: "Why don't science accept consciousness?".

It's certainly possible to criticise scientific studies of consciousness (in fact, that's how science advances...), but to do that you'd need to learn something about them first.

A Map of Consciousness Studies: Questions and Approaches
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 30152/full

Psychology of Consciousness: Theory, Research, and Practice
https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/cns

A little history goes a long way toward understanding why we study consciousness the way we do today
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1921623117

Decoding the neuroscience of consciousness
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02207-1

The Status and Future of Consciousness Research
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5641373/

Behavioral Methods in Consciousness Research
https://oxford.universitypressscholarsh ... 0199688890

:heart:
Mike
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

SarathW wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:25 am Why don't science accept consciousness?

How can they turn their blind eye to such a obvious thing?
Don't know what "science" you are referring to and what "accept" means in this context. There is no scientific evidence for consciousness because scientific evidence is by nature material and thus accessible to sense perception independent of beliefs. In practice however there are sciences that "accept" consciousness as a way of speaking about material phenomena (material phenomena like verbal and physical expressions of humans).
What you call "obvious" actually is your personal belief which is shared by many humans but not scientifically evident nevertheless.

Science has to take many 'step by step' approaches of 'hypothesis -> experimental (non-)validation -> theory or rejected hypothesis' to approach "consciousness" scientifically so that every step provides scientific evidence and is based on the preceding theory. Of course the basic assumption necessarily has to be that if there is something like "consciousness" then it is caused by materiality (i.e. brain, neurons, biochemical structures and the like) because in contrast to religion science has to start from a scientifically (material) evident phenomenon independent of beliefs.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

What do you mean by consciousness?
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

SarathW wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:27 pm
Modus.Ponens wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:38 am

Because the scientific paradigm has been strictly materialistic for a long time (every phenomena is material in nature, not immaterial/spiritual). Consciousness for them is a sort of side effect of the brain. However, this belief is not universal and there are increasing numbers of scientists who don't believe the materialist explanations we currently have for consciousness are enough. A change of paradigm in this case would open incredible new avenues for science and I hope to see it in my lifetime.
That is my point. If they think that consciousness is material they can't ignore it.
I'm not sure what the point is. They believe that consciousness is just a side effect of brain activity and nothing else. Consciousness is considered somewhat of a delusion that has some evolutionary advantage. In my opinion these explanations are not sufficient, and in the opinion of an increasing number of scientists. But that's what many scientists in the field think is happening.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
form

Post by form »

The best account I have come across a respectable monk explaining dhamma in accordance to modern psychology will be from Bhikkhu Bodhi book, The noble eightfold path. In this book, he explained eightfold path in from a modern psychology perspective that is very convincing. Only under the right concentration, he was criticised by some opinions that he drawn upon heavily from Vishuddamagga, as this area has much lesser scientific information.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

... However, this belief is not universal and there are increasing numbers of scientists who don't believe the materialist explanations we currently have for consciousness are enough. ...
:lol:
Scientific evidence is independent of beliefs. -> viewtopic.php?p=669557#p669557
From a scientific perspective an explanation is "enough" only if it is a scientific hypothesis supported by experimental evidence and thus is a valid theory. However a scientific hypothesis must be designed in a way that it can be tested by an experimental setting. That is why philosophical/religious speculations never can serve as scientific hypotheses.
Modus.Ponens wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:38 am ... A change of paradigm in this case would open incredible new avenues for science and I hope to see it in my lifetime.
Sorry to disappoint you but science will not turn into religion since it is not guided by beliefs. Therefore science is necessarily based on evidences that are material. However every now and then there happen to be so called "scientists" carried away by their beliefs but science will stand and will not be shaken by such unprofessional individuals.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
form

Post by form »

SteRo wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:23 pm

... However, this belief is not universal and there are increasing numbers of scientists who don't believe the materialist explanations we currently have for consciousness are enough. ...
Scientific evidence is independent of beliefs. -> viewtopic.php?p=669557#p669557
From a scientific perspective an explanation is "enough" only if it is a scientific hypothesis supported by experimental evidence and thus is a valid theory. However a scientific hypothesis must be designed in a way that it can be tested by an experimental setting. That is why philosophical/religious speculations never can serve as scientific hypotheses.
Modus.Ponens wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:38 am ... A change of paradigm in this case would open incredible new avenues for science and I hope to see it in my lifetime.
Sorry to disappoint you but science will not turn into religion since it is not guided by beliefs. Therefore science is necessarily based on evidences that are material. However every now and then there happen to be so called "scientists" carried away by their beliefs but science will stand and will not be shaken by such unprofessional individuals.
You can try Scientology.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

SteRo wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:23 pm

The funny thing is that your dogmatism makes you miss the target with your criticism. None of what you said is new to me. What I am saying is that the scientific method could very well be expanded in scope and study things we still consider spiritual/immaterial. Changes in paradigm happened before with geocentrism to heliocentrism, with static cosmos to dynamic cosmos, with classical physics to quantum physics, with creationism to Darwinism. I see no reason why a change in paradigm couldn't happen from materialism to something beyond materialism, where the scientific method is used to gain knowledge.

But you have a dogmatic compulsion to stamp down any possibility of expansion. The fact that you don't see serious parapsychologists as being engaged in something like the SETI program is proof of that. Why wouldn't people want to study these things seriously? Because you don't like it?
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Modus.Ponens wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:25 pm

Because the scientific paradigm has been strictly materialistic for a long time (every phenomena is material in nature, not immaterial/spiritual). Consciousness for them is a sort of side effect of the brain. However, this belief is not universal and there are increasing numbers of scientists who don't believe the materialist explanations we currently have for consciousness are enough. A change of paradigm in this case would open incredible new avenues for science and I hope to see it in my lifetime.
That is my point. If they think that consciousness is material they can't ignore it.
I'm not sure what the point is. They believe that consciousness is just a side effect of brain activity and nothing else. Consciousness is considered somewhat of a delusion that has some evolutionary advantage. In my opinion these explanations are not sufficient, and in the opinion of an increasing number of scientists. But that's what many scientists in the field think is happening.
Can consciousness arise without Rupa (mater)?
Perhaps scientist thinks consciousness arises only with matter.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
form

Post by form »

SarathW wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:42 pm

This is an area beyond science. It is the occult.
User019336

Post by User019336 »

Science is comprised of many disciplines and these acknowledge consciousness as a primary element but they don't study it. It's like most people more or less know what is a car engine but they don't really know how it works and are not concerned with it.

Philosophy is often divorced from "science" which often makes those who do science come up with philosophically flawed theories, as they might get the math right but in using words thinking about the math they get it wrong.

I think the interdisciplinary knowledge of what is consciousness if coupled with philosophy is quite impressive but not many people get that broad of an education.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

SarathW wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:42 pm

Yes. They think it's a side effect of brain activity. It's like with optical illusions. We can be genuinely tricked by an optical illusion but it doesn't mean that the illusion is reality. I personally do not think this is enough to explain consciousness but there is no reason yet for scientists to change their paradigm.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Modus.Ponens wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:49 am Yes. They think it's a side effect of brain activity. It's like with optical illusions. We can be genuinely tricked by an optical illusion but it doesn't mean that the illusion is reality. I personally do not think this is enough to explain consciousness but there is no reason yet for scientists to change their paradigm.
I've actually discussed this issue with scientists who have an interest in investigating consciousness, with tools such as functional MRI. Here are a couple of random articles for reference:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-12658-9
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00688/full

They are, of course, aware that one of the most interesting puzzles is of whether or not consciousness is just an "emergent phenomenon" of the physical brain and body. However, designing an experiment to address that question is actually very difficult. As I said in response to the OP, this is is known in science as "The hard problem of consciousness".

To put this into context it is helpful to consider some phenomena that are considered to be "emergent". These include superconductivity and superfluidity. Many materials, when cooled to low temperature, become superconducting. There is absolutely no resistance. When the superconducting magnets in MRI machines and other devices are powered up, they retain the currents and magnetic fields indefinitely (often until there is a failure in the cooling system after a decade or so).

Superconductivity is "emergent" because it is not a property of the individual metal atoms. It is a result of complex interactions of a macroscopic number of atoms and their electrons. However, one doesn't have to do any more than assemble that collection of atoms into a wire and cool it down. There is nothing "added" that causes the superconductivity, you just need the right conditions and it happens.

One might contrast this with the process of "doping" different regions of semiconductors such as silicon with small quantities of other atoms in order to manufacture diodes and transistors (or integrated chips). In those cases we don't get the transistor without doing the doping. We have to add something.

So the hard problem with consciousness is whether it "just happens" for a sufficiently complex nervous system (in which case it is emergent), or whether it is "something extra", that is added, like the doping of semiconductors.

All currently known examples of consciousness contain nervous systems as a key ingredient, and we can learn some things about consciousness by measuring and/or disrupting those nervous systems. But figuring out how to show whether the nervous system is "all there is", or whether there is "something added" is not going to be easy.

It might be worth considering what the Dhamma view of consciousness is. Though there is some talk of arupa realms in the suttas, when describing phenomena in the human realm, it is arguable that there is not really a Cartesian Dualism of mind and matter in descriptions such as the aggregates, in the sutta descriptions. Experience is described in terms of all five aggregates. So perhaps in Dhamma it is also an emergent phenomenon?

Mike
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Some prerequisite questions would be:
  • Do all branches & ramifications of science reject consciousness?
  • Do they ("all scientists" / each & every scientist) turn their blind eye to such a obvious thing?

imo, the answer to both queries would be just a simple 'No'.

𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
form

Post by form »

Out of body experience?