Astral Projection/Out of Body Experiences

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Bundokji

Re: Astral Projection/Out of Body Experiences

Post by Bundokji »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:13 pm But why is it set at < 0.05? There isn't any reason at all to be honest (although I'm not a statistician so am open to correction here). You could instead set it as P < 0.01 or P < 0.10. Science then is very useful, but don't get deluded by it or by what edgy popular science writers say.
My interpretation is that it is part of "methodologizing" science. We often encounter the notion that science is a method, and for a method to be replicable, inventing checks and balances to unify perceptions becomes necessary. When the practical necessity of unifying perceptions is overlooked, science becomes another dogma for determining the best action. This is akin to morality in the sense that people are encouraged to follow certain set of moral precepts or code in order to eliminate selectivity and replace it with artificial discipline.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

SteRo wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:04 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:42 pm You shouldn't try to paint real scientists as frauds and wannabes when it is you who is the fraudulent wannabe scientist. All you are succeeding in is undermining your own credibility.
"real scientists" and "true scientists" are naive expressions you have been using.
This is just nonsense in the tradition of the childhood playground saying: "I know you are, but what am I?"
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:19 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:42 pm You shouldn't try to paint real scientists as frauds and wannabes when it is you who is the fraudulent wannabe scientist. All you are succeeding in is undermining your own credibility.
"real scientists" and "true scientists" are naive expressions you have been using.
This is just nonsense in the tradition of the childhood playground saying: "I know you are, but what am I?"
I don't know that "tradition of the childhood playground ". Maybe you could apply a verbal expression generally known or findable in vocabularies?
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

SteRo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:23 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:19 am

I don't know that "tradition of the childhood playground ". Maybe you could apply a verbal expression generally known or findable in vocabularies?
The expression, as it is, is quite findable in "vocabularies."

Or are you actually asking me to use turns of phrases that you are more familiar with and choosing to express yourself highly indirectly, saying that, because you don't know what these five words mean, their meaning is not "findable in vocabularies?"

:popcorn:
What is the Uncreated?
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:33 am
SteRo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:23 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:19 am This is just nonsense in the tradition of the childhood playground saying: "I know you are, but what am I?"
The expression, as it is, is quite findable in "vocabularies."

Or are you actually asking me to use turns of phrases that you are more familiar with and choosing to express yourself highly indirectly, saying that, because you don't know what these five words mean, their meaning is not "findable in vocabularies?"

:popcorn:
Merriam Webster does not know "tradition of the childhood playground " :shrug:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Merriam-Webster is a dictionary. A dictionary doesn't usually have entire phrases it in, SteRo. I would recommend that you look the words up one at a time. "Of the" is a part of a prepositional phrase. If you can't understand "of the," then I can't help you.
What is the Uncreated?
VinceField

Post by VinceField »

I recently made a video explaining a method that can be used during astral projection which I have personally used to experience what I believe are the states of Jhana. I believe it can be a good addition to the buddhist practice. https://youtu.be/kn9sVLgxtwY
SDC

Post by SDC »

VinceField wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:37 pm I recently made a video explaining a method that can be used during astral projection which I have personally used to experience what I believe are the states of Jhana. I believe it can be a good addition to the buddhist practice. https://youtu.be/kn9sVLgxtwY
One thing I asked earlier in the thread, which perhaps you didn’t feel comfortable answering (which is also fine), is whether or not these experiences were leading towards dispassion, relinquishment and uprooting of the defilements. As in, what specifically about these experiences contributes to the overall goal of the Buddhist practice?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

VinceField wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:32 pm I've practiced Theravada Buddhism for years and I've also been having out of body experiences since I was a teenager. I'm curious on your opinions of astral projection and how it can influence one's practice of Buddhism. In my experience, meditation while in the out of body state in on a completely different level than normal meditation in the body. It's like an instant connection with the source of your being, amplified exponentially compared to what I've experienced meditating in the body. I'd also like to share a video series I'm currently making to share my methods and experiences with astral projection in case anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/3mcqgWijNHM
Ven. Dhammika's blog post...

"Late one night I was meditating in my darkened room. I had been in a deep, stable concentration for some time when suddenly I heard someone’s voice in the room very near me. The voice was clear and loud. I was immediately jolted out of my meditation and opened my eyes to see who it was. I looked around the room (my eyes were accustomed to the dark and there was some light coming through the window) but could see no one. Intrigued and a little worried that there was an intruder in the premises, I got up and looked around. Again nothing. I went to the window and out in the street saw several young men fixing a motorbike under a street lamp.

They were some distance away but I could just hear their voices. Initially it was the voice I had heard in my room itself which had startled me, not what it said. Now I recalled that the voice had been talking about things related to motorbikes. I realized that for a few moments or so I had spontaneously heard part of a conversation that had been going on out in the street as if it had taken place just a few feet from me. For the next few weeks every one of my meditation was a failure. I longed to get into a deep stable concentration so I could have a similar ‘psychic’ experience again. Of course this hope was the very thing that disrupted my meditation and blocked it from happening. And nothing like it has ever happened again. However, since this experience I have met several deeply committed meditators who have told me that they have had similar experiences..."

https://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2013/03/ ... ience.html
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

I can not believe somebody brought this up.

Last month,i had the craziest Out of Body Experience due to falling asleep listening to hemisync sounds.

Then i had the most insane idea of meditating WHILE i was Out of Body.

I can not describe it.

i imploded inwards and turned into a nimitta.

I remember thinking omg..this whole world is a nimmita.

Omg the whole worlds is the mind.

We all live in little minds or nimittas.

Little worlds.

It was crazy.im too afraid to listen to hemisync sounds again.it took a few hours to wear off i couldnt even take a quick nap id be out of body.

Another interesting thing about this experience was id see things i saw in the dream in real life!it was like dejavu!
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Akashad wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:01 am I can not believe somebody brought this up.

Last month,i had the craziest Out of Body Experience due to falling asleep listening to hemisync sounds.

Then i had the most insane idea of meditating WHILE i was Out of Body.

I can not describe it.

i imploded inwards and turned into a nimitta.

I remember thinking omg..this whole world is a nimmita.

Omg the whole worlds is the mind.

We all live in little minds or nimittas.

Little worlds.

It was crazy.im too afraid to listen to hemisync sounds again.it took a few hours to wear off i couldnt even take a quick nap id be out of body.

Another interesting thing about this experience was id see things i saw in the dream in real life!it was like dejavu!
If u radiated metta when u dont feel physical body.. u would have attained jhana... try again this... dont miss this opportunity.. also share the music so i can try it..

Even in lucid dreams my conciousness tranafers to dream body and i get first person experience of dream body.. but most important is i want to induce sleep paralysis at will...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

All humans have out-of-brain experiences. :lol:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.