Astral Projection/Out of Body Experiences

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
VinceField

Astral Projection/Out of Body Experiences

Post by VinceField »

I've practiced Theravada Buddhism for years and I've also been having out of body experiences since I was a teenager. I'm curious on your opinions of astral projection and how it can influence one's practice of Buddhism. In my experience, meditation while in the out of body state in on a completely different level than normal meditation in the body. It's like an instant connection with the source of your being, amplified exponentially compared to what I've experienced meditating in the body. I'd also like to share a video series I'm currently making to share my methods and experiences with astral projection in case anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/3mcqgWijNHM
SDC

Re: Astral Projection/Out of Body Experiences

Post by SDC »

:smile: Welcome back, Vince. I remember you from a few years ago.

Not much to add here accept that such experiences are all well and good, but what do they have to do with uprooting the defilements and the destruction of suffering? If the goal is to wear away craving and purify the experience of greed, hate and delusion, how do these out-of-body experiences contribute to that end?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Can you explain this in terms of the Theravada terminology?
Ie: First Jhana etc.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Being out of body involves being in a different, more subtle body. The five aggregates are still involved. As long as the projection remains within the desire realm it is lower than first jhana. It is still very interesting and you can have intense experiences with it.
VinceField

Post by VinceField »

I'm not exactly sure how to compare the states involved with astral projection to the jhanas. The process essentially involves keeping your mind awake as your body falls asleep and separating from the body. In terms of meditating while out of body, I believe some and sometimes even all of the jhanas are easily reached almost instantly at times. The practice does seem to serve to provide helpful insights into the nature of the self and reality if you are able to progress to the level that you gain access to deeper levels of nonphysical reality, as opposed to the more superficial dimensions commonly experienced as a beginner.
SDC

Post by SDC »

VinceField wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:39 am The practice does seem to serve to provide helpful insights into the nature of the self and reality if you are able to progress to the level that you gain access to deeper levels of nonphysical reality, as opposed to the more superficial dimensions commonly experienced as a beginner.
That is what I’m curious about. Do these insights lead to dispassion? Relinquishment? How does it differ from mindfulness of the body or mindfulness of death?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

I have so-called "out of body" experiences every now and then. Problem is, they happen when I'm sleeping, and are thus indistinguishable from dreams.

All of my dreams are lucid, which is very irregular as I've been told.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:17 am

The same for me too.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:17 am I have so-called "out of body" experiences every now and then. Problem is, they happen when I'm sleeping, and are thus indistinguishable from dreams.

I was listening to a podcast by Leigh Brasington recently and he was talking abut the Siddhis, I'm not sure if Astral Projection is a Siddhi but it's Siddhi-like.

Anyway he made two points that I agree with; firstly there is nothing about the Dhamma that suggests we should be able to defy the law of physics, and secondly some of them make more sense if you interpret them as lucid dreaming.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

OBE is just lucid dream where external exnorvonment is your own room instead of some other environment like mars or moon. its all brain made stuff
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

VinceField wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:39 am The practice does seem to serve to provide helpful insights into the nature of the self and reality if you are able to progress to the level that you gain access to deeper levels of nonphysical reality, as opposed to the more superficial dimensions commonly experienced as a beginner.
Hi Vince,

Do these experiences tell you something usful about the physical reality apart from it being "superficial "? Or does it alter your understanding of what the body is?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

VinceField wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:32 pm I've practiced Theravada Buddhism for years and I've also been having out of body experiences since I was a teenager. I'm curious on your opinions of astral projection and how it can influence one's practice of Buddhism.
The brain has nearly unlimited capacities in terms of creating experiences.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
form

Post by form »

When that happens, the one involved will be in fourth jhana mode. The breath will be so slow that there is like no breathing.
VinceField

Post by VinceField »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:39 am OBE is just lucid dream where external exnorvonment is your own room instead of some other environment like mars or moon. its all brain made stuff
That's actually not true. An out of body experience is more of a general term, but when you project your consciousness from the body, it doesn't go to the physical dimension. Consciousness usually shifts into the astral dimension, and these experiences are called astral projections. The astral is a dimension of reality "higher" in frequency than the physical dimension. Lucid dreaming, on the other hand, takes place in a mental dimension of reality in which your subconscious mind constructs the reality and environment. This is not the case for typical OBEs and astral projections. Over 20 years of experiments in these various states makes the differences quite clear.
VinceField

Post by VinceField »

Bundokji wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:09 am
Hi Vince,

Do these experiences tell you something usful about the physical reality apart from it being "superficial "? Or does it alter your understanding of what the body is?
The insights I've gained on my journeys have had a huge impact on my beliefs, my perception of myself and reality, and a lot more. This change in perspective has been quite useful in my physical life.