does reincarnation really exists or is it just in the mind?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pegembara

Re: does reincarnation really exists or is it just in the mind?

Post by pegembara »

asahi wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:39 am
SarathW wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:44 am
TRobinson465 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:03 am I think it was ajahn brahm who said, (yes ignoring the nitpicking of reincarnation vs rebirth) either you'll believe in rebirth now or you will when you die. Assuming Buddhism is right than yeah it really does exist.
How?
I don't think I will know the rebirth when I die unless I have the perfect Samma Sati.
However I know some people repent on their death bed.
Yes , you will know immediately (in most cases) when you die . My elder sister passed away and she came to my dream showing me she is in lower realm living with some being without merits .

The solution lies within, not without.
"Is it possible, lord, by traveling, to know or see or reach a far end of the cosmos where one does not take birth, age, die, pass away or reappear?"

"I tell you, friend, that it is not possible by traveling to know or see or reach a far end of the cosmos where one does not take birth, age, die, pass away, or reappear."

"I tell you, friend, that it is not possible by traveling to know or see or reach a far end of the cosmos where one does not take birth, age, die, pass away, or reappear. But at the same time, I tell you that there is no making an end of suffering & stress without reaching the end of the cosmos. Yet it is just within this fathom-long body, with its perception & intellect, that I declare that there is the cosmos, the origination of the cosmos, the cessation of the cosmos, and the path of practice leading to the cessation of the cosmos."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

asahi wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:39 am
TRobinson465 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:03 am I think it was ajahn brahm who said, (yes ignoring the nitpicking of reincarnation vs rebirth) either you'll believe in rebirth now or you will when you die. Assuming Buddhism is right than yeah it really does exist.
How?
I don't think I will know the rebirth when I die unless I have the perfect Samma Sati.
Yes , you will know immediately (in most cases) when you die . My elder sister passed away and she came to my dream showing me she is in lower realm living with some being without merits .
Sorry for your loss...have you dedicated merit to your sister? Thanissaro Bhikkhu places great emphasis on "merit"...His article, Dedicating Merit, is worth reading... https://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Wri ... _Merit.pdf

excerpt:

"...There was a woman who came to meditate at the monastery several years back when Ajaan
Fuang was still alive. She was a friend of one of the women who cooked in the kitchen. And the
woman in the kitchen told Ajaan Fuang that this friend had a particular problem. Every time
she tried to meditate, her body would start shaking uncontrollably.

So the night she meditated with us in the chedi, sure enough, she started shaking. Ajaan
Fuang had a student who was quite psychic and he told her to look into what was happening.
She saw two beings behind the woman, shaking her. And to make a very long story short, she
found out these had been the parents of this woman in a previous lifetime. She had killed them
in that lifetime—this was a very long time ago—and they didn’t like the idea that by
meditating she might get out of their grasp.

So Ajaan Fuang’s student asked them, “What do you want? What could she do that would
satisfy you?” And then they said, “If she could help build a Buddha image and dedicate the
merit to us, that would satisfy us.” It so happened that we were building a Buddha image at the
monastery at the time. So Ajaan Fuang told the student, “You can’t say anything to her about
this. Otherwise, it’ll look like we’re trying to squeeze money out of her.” But a couple of years
later, someone else was building a Buddha image and she participated in that—and the shaking
stopped..."
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
asahi

Post by asahi »

Kusala wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:52 am
Sorry for your loss...have you dedicated merit to your sister? Thanissaro Bhikkhu places great emphasis on "merit"...His article, Dedicating Merit, is worth reading...
Yes , thanks .
She later showed me twice is at a better place than the previous . I will continue to dedicate for her .

:namaste:
No bashing No gossiping
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

SarathW wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:31 am
confusedsoso wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:01 pm Does reincarnation really exists or is it just in the mind? If it really exists what proof is there of reincarnation. I have trouble believing in reincarnation.
I think it is in your mind.
Suppose every time you wake up in the morning that you think that you are a new person and forgot the past.
The only reason why we think we are reborne is that we forget the past.
Suppose we all remember our past lives, then we don't think of it as a rebirth.
Memory is tied to a specific body identification.
It means that once one is attached to a specific body, the events occurred during the attachment, is kept as memories with plot.
We don't know what happens during sleep, because the attachment to the body is retracted from body mind into formless attache.
Same as dream.
Same as rebirth.
Once body is switched off from attachment, memories are dropped.

Kamma is tied to sensational MySelf. Once we upgrade from body attachment to formless 'Myself' identification, past life might be able to emerge.

Thus to remember past life, we must drop body attachment and update to 'myself' the formless axis.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

confusedsoso wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:01 pm Does reincarnation really exists or is it just in the mind? If it really exists what proof is there of reincarnation. I have trouble believing in reincarnation.
Maybe the whole world as a perception, is known only "in one's consciousness" and we have no epistemological access to what lies beyond one's consciousness.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

How?
Yes ajahn brahm was only partially right. U would only know if u were reborn by spontaneous arising. If u were reborn another way u would forget ur previous existence.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

According to the Buddha and other ascetics there is such a thing. If you believe them or not is of course a different matter. If it's bothering you then perhaps put it for the side for now, explore other topics in the Dhamma and then come back to it at a later date.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

Just look towards a mirror, it’s right there!
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

Do you know what a moon child is? You ever tried to worship Satan or invoke demons or something like that?
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person